+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: redsn0w doesn't recognize ispw?

is a discussion within the

redsn0w

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
You would want to use backgrounder in conjunction to multifl0w for a true multitasking experience.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You would want to use backgrounder in conjunction to multifl0w for a true multitasking experience.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I am not opposed to using a cydia tweak at all. Sorry if I came off as insistent. Lol. And my reason for wanting multi tasking may be off base as well. This is my first time using an iPhone. My blackberry always had it. Anyway this my sound like a dumb question, but if I sign in to messenger and then switch to another app, will I still get notifications when I get a message? I didn't yesterday but my push notifications aren't working so that may be the problem.

Also can i still shift restore to stock firmware if I updated the baseband?

I have read about a custom firmware called whitedoor that 3.1.3 based that incorporates multitasking. If I shift restore in iTunes can I pick any firmware or does it have to be 4.2.1

Any guidance on push notification would be appreciated as well. :-) I didn't have a valid sim in the phone the first time I jailbroke it so when I redid it, I put one in but I restored from backup instead of setting up as a new phone. Could that be why my notifications are not working?
    Last edited by piedrafina; 03-11-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I would use jailbreakme.com if ur on 3.1.3. Shift+restore to the 3.1.3 see if your Push is working

Thanks

I know on 4.2.1 with the iPad bb you'll need to use a custom fw. But with TU's new ability to kick out of recovery after restore on 4.2.1, it should be fine. But I'm not sure.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Ok. I will try to use the sn0wbreeze custom firmware and use TU to kick out of the error. I hadn't tried using TU yet. I am not a total novice but this time it just seems to be beyond me.

Thanks

Well no if you use a custom firmware you wouldn't need TU to exit recovery.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i kept hearing 3.1.3 was so much better for a 3g (here and another board), so tried installing that and i honestly didn't see that much of a difference. it was a TINY bit faster, but so many apps need at least 4.0 or higher that i didn't see the benefit of added speed if i can't download so many apps.

so, i went back to 4.2.1 - no multi tasking. i didn't have much success with any of the custom firmware except the simple one again, so i just reinstalled it and added backgrounder. i looked at multifl0w as well, but i was wondering if there is a free alternative? i'd like to try it before i buy it.

thanks to everyone for their help!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong or not, but after adding backgrounder, my phone slowed to a crawl. i made sure it wasn't backgrounding everything i opened (went into the settings and turned backgrounding off by default and on for the apps i wanted it for).

at this point, with the push notification issues, the problems multitasking, etc, i give up. i'm back to my blackberry.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm having an issue with redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 (also tried 0.9.6b6) not recognizing my firmware as well. My current iPhone details are above, 4.0 custom firmware was created with sn0wbreeze. I'm trying to get to 4.2.1 untethered, unlocked. I have stock and custom firmware for both versions 4.0 and 4.2.1 ready to go, and plan to use the SAM method for activation.

Why might redsn0w not recognize the firmware? Maybe I need to try 4.1? I've tried running it in XP compatibility mode with no luck. I'll give sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 a try and report back. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by AniMisM; 03-15-2011 at 03:44 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piedrafina View Post
    i'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong or not, but after adding backgrounder, my phone slowed to a crawl. i made sure it wasn't backgrounding everything i opened (went into the settings and turned backgrounding off by default and on for the apps i wanted it for).

at this point, with the push notification issues, the problems multitasking, etc, i give up. i'm back to my blackberry.
    I see this thread has become cluttered with information, but let me know what version the software is and what the modem firmware is and I can help you get your iphone working.

Quote Originally Posted by AniMisM View Post
    I'm having an issue with redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 (also tried 0.9.6b6) not recognizing my firmware as well. My current iPhone details are above, 4.0 custom firmware was created with sn0wbreeze. I'm trying to get to 4.2.1 untethered, unlocked. I have stock and custom firmware for both versions 4.0 and 4.2.1 ready to go, and plan to use the SAM method for activation.

Why might redsn0w not recognize the firmware? Maybe I need to try 4.1? I've tried running it in XP compatibility mode with no luck. I'll give sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 a try and report back. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
    So you already have created a custom firmware of 4.2.1 for your phone with sn0wbreeze. If so, then use redsn0w just to enter pwned dfu mode, then in iTunes hold shift and select restore, point to your custom firmware and let itunes restore to it. You need iTunes 10 to restore to 4.2.1. When using redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 and point it to a stock copy of 4.2.1
    Last edited by iPittsburgh; 03-15-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    So you already have created a custom firmware of 4.2.1 for your phone with sn0wbreeze. If so, then use redsn0w just to enter pwned dfu mode, then in iTunes hold shift and select restore, point to your custom firmware and let itunes restore to it. You need iTunes 10 to restore to 4.2.1. When using redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 and point it to a stock copy of 4.2.1
    I had a friend create custom 4.2.1 firmware for me with PwnageTool on his Mac. Nothing was working with redsn0w, it wouldn't even recognize stock firmware. sn0wbreeze was a "breeze" in comparison, so I created my custom firmware and entered pwned DFU mode with that. I'm not sure why all the tutorials around the net say to use redsn0w when sn0wbreeze seems to be a much better alternative.
    Last edited by AniMisM; 03-16-2011 at 03:16 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

I like sn0wbreeze. It is a nice alternative if you dont have a mac to use pwnagetool. I use sn0wbreeze to make cfws but I usually use redsn0w to enter pwned dfu.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12