+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stressed!! Newbie to jailbreaking!

is a discussion within the

redsn0w

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Ok. I know everyone says that jailbreaking can be simple but apparently for me it is not bc this just must not be my calling! My STRESS is that I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Stressed!! Newbie to jailbreaking!
    Ok. I know everyone says that jailbreaking can be simple but apparently for me it is not bc this just must not be my calling!

My STRESS is that I just restored my 3G and it is now upgraded but for some reason I can't figure out how to download anything that I need to re-jailbreak this phone!!! I've already went to RedSn0w, green poison, and have even tried pwnagetool! If I've done something wrong, some one please help me!! I've searched for a breakdown of everything and I've tried everything I found, but I can't even get anything to download to my computer. I've never used bit torrent before, maybe that's my problem??? I've downloaded the files onto my computer like directed but still nothing! I'm so stressed!!! The only reason I even bothered with this is because I am supposed to be starting school next Monday and I wanted to be prepared. I've even bought a new iphone just in case! The only thing I'm desperate for is to get mywi back, bc like i said it's for school. I've now spent about 3-4 hours trying to figure this out but every where I look everyone just keeps starting off by talking about following the directions from redSn0w or what ever but I can't even use either one of them bc I can't get anything to work! The redSn0w page says error page not found and so does the green poison. Pwnage at least started to download but that's as far as I've gotten. Youtube was also a waist of time bc I started out watching a simple video thinking everything would be so much easier, but then little bubbles popped up saying the peron on the video was lying???? I'm so frustrated right now bc I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't figure it out. And there is no way that I am going to pay $60++ a month for LIMITED tethering from AT&T!!!!! Plus all the extra little add-ons!I live out in the sticks so wireless reception is limited! Obviously my 3G was jail broken before but my friend did it before I got my phone from him and unfortunately he is in the military and under sea right now or I would get him to do it for me again. Please be gentle on explanation, I'm already extremely confused with terminology here!!

Thanks!

Thanks

I'll help you, but I'm going to bed now.

The reason I'm posting is so that I'll get an email in the morning reminding me to check back here.

Twitter: @tshoults

3. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

only1disturbedpunkie (02-25-2011)

Thanks

what is the problem? u cant download the jailbreak program or u cant jailbreak at all?
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1066377445.png

Thanks

Ok, when you restore, itunes automatically updates you to the latest version of iOS, and it told you this when you clicked restore.

Here is a download to the version of redsn0w you need: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-de...edirects=0&d=1

Then you will also need a FW to show redsn0w how to JB it. Download here: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/06...8_Restore.ipsw

You should be good from here, as redsn0w is pretty self explanatory.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok. I'll have to try these when I get home. Thanks for all the advice! I'm really starting to stress if I can't do this!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sknet View Post
    what is the problem? u cant download the jailbreak program or u cant jailbreak at all?
    I'm not really sure?? I've already restored the phone but when I try to dispose one of the bit torrent files they are no good. They take me to pages that say error page not found. But I'm goof to try these other pages that are listed above when I get home tonight and see now that works. After my friend finally convinces me to go back to school after 10 years and I only have 1 week before I start and I'm already screwing things up!! Makes me wonder if it's me that's just a dummy!!! Especially if this is this simple and I can't get it!!! But I'll post again when I get home!! Thanks again for all the help!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Moon#pie is that for windows? I want to jailbreak my 4g 4.2.1 using xp and I can't seem to find the ipsw file or the right program to download? Any help would be nice. Thx

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok. So far the 2 downloads were great! Nice to finally be able to download something. The first time couldn't ever get it into DFU mode. Finally got that. Then I somehow got stuck on a half-eaten pineapple. Searched through out the posts and fixed that problem. Entered DFU mode again, then restarted and then got to a screen that looked like something from the matrix and at the very bottom of the screen it said error. So I started researching that screen then it started going crazy then ended up going back to the usb and itunes screen. I'll try again tomorrow. I give up for the night.............

When I'm Good, I'm Very Good iGood's Avatar
    Thanks

Why don't people just jailbreak with jailbreakme.com on your iPod! It's so easy and fast... I don't get it! Why go for redsn0w if you have something SO much easier and better!

Thanks

hola, tard. jailbreakme.com stopped working about 6 months ago. Please stop spamming the forums.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Punkie. I'm not really sure why you are using bittorrent to DL the programs for your jb. If you just go to greenpois0n.com the downloads are at the bottom. (choose the operating system your using) download and save the file then unzip and run program. Remember, to enter DFU you mus have iTunes open. Plug phone in and then power down. Then start DFU process. should work fine. Sounds like you figured this out. Let me know if not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MJMontg View Post
    Punkie. I'm not really sure why you are using bittorrent to DL the programs for your jb. If you just go to greenpois0n.com the downloads are at the bottom. (choose the operating system your using) download and save the file then unzip and run program. Remember, to enter DFU you mus have iTunes open. Plug phone in and then power down. Then start DFU process. should work fine. Sounds like you figured this out. Let me know if not.
    The dev-team uses bittorrents to release some of their applications.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Got it. Unaware of that. Thanks for the info. Still just out of curiosity on your opinion wouldn't it just be easier to go directly to the site? That's what I do. Am I missing out on anything that way

Thanks

Sometimes if you end up googling for guides, they will link you to bittorrents rather than direct downloads.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Word!!! Thanks. I'll keep that in mind before opening my mouth next time.

Thanks

No problem.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well I've got both of the downloads now that you suggested, but now for some reason I can't get my phone to go into dfu mode. It goes to the screen with the pineapple. And the one time I got close, or so I thought, it went to the screen that started going crazy like all the words and stuff scrolling up the screen really fast then at the very end when it stops for a minute it says error. Then a few minutes later it will start scrolling again then go to the screen with the USB pointing to iTunes.

My fiancé said if I can't get it done by the Ike I need it he will let me use his phone since it is already jb, but his is a 3G with the 3.1 on it I think. And my question is if it comes down go that, do they still have a mywi for that??? The same guy jb his phone that jb mine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think mywi will work but you shouldn't need to. It does sound like you were close if you got the scrolling text. I personally used greenpois0n to jb and I have all kinds of probs I'm trying to work out. To be honest with you. I think your best bet would be to do a full restore and upgrade to 4.2.1. Then with a clean iOS run the jailbreak solution of your choice. Keep in mind. For DFU mode you must have iTunes running and have the phone plugged in and turned offprior to starting the process. If not you are just going to go into recovery mode. And that's when you generally get the iTunes screen on the phone.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MJMontg For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

okay! Gonna try again and see where it goes! Thanks again for everyone's help!!!!!!!!

Still got the stupid pineapple!!!

The only reason I want to use his as a backup was because it's already jailbroken and that's what i did with mine because the mywi that i was using was draining my battery like crazy and my phone was getting really hot. So I read up on it and found the upgraded version of mywi and the battery drainage on that version was soo much better and all around should be better than what I was using. I definitely don't want to restore his and try to re-jailbreak his!!! I can't even get mine re-jailbroken! LOL! I'm such a tard! This is supposed to be soo simple! I think it's the simple things that I can't do..........

Yay! I finally got it jb! But now I have no service. Gonna research it some more....
    Last edited by only1disturbedpunkie; 02-25-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Moon#pie I tried the downloaded firmware but its in a zipped file when I extract none of the folders work on the upgrade