Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbroken in need of restore?

Exclamation Jailbroken in need of restore?
    I have a complicated issue with a new iphone 3gs that I am trying to jailbreak and unlock for a friend that lives in Ecuador. I have tried using redsn0w to jailbreak the iphone and to install the ipad baseband so that I could unlock it after. For reference, I was using the instructions here: How to jailbreak and unlock iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G using RedSn0w (Windows) It seemed the easiest to follow. After the 3rd attempt, it seemed as though the iphone was jailbroken. The baseband was changed and Cydia showed up. But when I clicked on Cydia, it wouldn't open. The app icon was just blank grey and it started to open but then just shut down again. I rebooted the iphone and it made no difference. I began reading about what to do if you need to reinstall Cydia and the only thing I found was to restore you iphone (with itunes) and redo the jailbreak. Now I know, that does not work since I reset the baseband on it (I attempted to restore but it gave me an error). So now I am left with an iphone that can not restore and can not jailbreak again and I am wondering what I can do next. (I attempted to rejailbreak it with redsn0w, but it didn't work) I read up on tinyumbrella but I never had access to Cydia, so that restore doesn't seem to be an option. Any help would be great appreciated. I have no info on this iphone, so I have nothing to lose, all options are open.

I am on Windows 7 Home Premium 64

I am using an iphone 3gs with 4.2.1 firmware. It is stuck on the start screen that tells you to plug it into itunes.

What's Jailbreak? AustinHarleyD's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sadly I have no knowledge on unlocking, but may I suggest Greenpois0n RC5 for the jailbreak? There may also be a way to unlock on top of this, but you may need to do some research. For the jailbreak, however, refer to my guide on Untethered GreenPois0n RC5
    The Apple Input

This sounds a lot like the problem I had on one of my 3gs' using Redsn0w the other day. This is what I did:

Find a CUSTOM 4.2.1 without the 6.15 baseband (just google it. The one I used had a 5.13 baseband. You may need to rename the file extension to .ipsw if you use IE)
    Open iTunes, hold Shift and click restore. Select the custom firmware. iTunes will then restore the phone.
    Download and run Greenpois0n RC5 and follow the prompts.
    This will then give you an untethered jailbreak.

If you need to unlock the emergency screen afterwards because you have an invalid sim or anything, just turn the phone back off again and then install Cydia only through Redsn0w to hacktivate (make sure you also have an original 4.2.1 saved to select for this part, as the custom one will not be recognized.) If you do not need to do this, then just activate normally then install Cydia through the new loader icon.
    Last edited by iAhmi; 02-13-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: forgot something

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Step 1:
    If you jailbreak and blank Cydia icon shows up, you need to RUN REDSNOW again but select option "Just Boot Tethered Now" after your iphone reboots Cydia will open Normally.
    This is tethered jailbreak and obviously your 3GS has new boot. You will need redsn0w and "Just boot tethered now" option every time you reboot iPhone Cydia will crash until you re0run redsn0w.

If you don't want her/him to run redsn0w every time follow step two !

Step 2:

Search Google for Custom 4.2.1 Firmware and you need stock 4.2.1 firmware.
    If you dont have redsn0w 0.9.6b6 download it(use google to find)
    Open redsn0w select stock 4.2.1 select if your 3GS is new boot or old boot.
    Select option on the Next Window JUST PUT IN DFU PWN MODE
    Follow instructions on the next screen how to put in in DFU mode.
    If Successful you will see in redsn0w DONE button and message Successful.
    Last step open iTunes, Hold shift select your custom firmware 4.2.1 and restore. Let it Finish.
    After it boots up, use latest greenpois0n jailbreak and unlock UNTETHERED.
    Pack it and send it to Ecuador !

Let me know if you run into problems !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delusion950 For This Useful Post:

vodoochild (02-13-2011)

Default 3g
    I also have the same problem with a 3g 16gig. Can I also use a custom firmware 4.2.1 and restore? or does a 3G require something different any help would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Madmudder View Post
    I also have the same problem with a 3g 16gig. Can I also use a custom firmware 4.2.1 and restore? or does a 3G require something different any help would be greatly appreciated
    Yes you can, just look for a custom 3g 4.2.1. without the iPad baseband. Remember, t will not actually downgrade the baseband as that's not possible right now, but you will be able to restore.

THX iAhmi,
    I just tried it and get the 1015 error and get stuck in this loop. Can you offer a detailed link on how this can be completed or a firmware that may work (link).
    Your help is greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    Step 1:
    If you jailbreak and blank Cydia icon shows up, you need to RUN REDSNOW again but select option "Just Boot Tethered Now" after your iphone reboots Cydia will open Normally.
    This is tethered jailbreak and obviously your 3GS has new boot. You will need redsn0w and "Just boot tethered now" option every time you reboot iPhone Cydia will crash until you re0run redsn0w.

If you don't want her/him to run redsn0w every time follow step two !

Step 2:

Search Google for Custom 4.2.1 Firmware and you need stock 4.2.1 firmware.
    If you dont have redsn0w 0.9.6b6 download it(use google to find)
    Open redsn0w select stock 4.2.1 select if your 3GS is new boot or old boot.
    Select option on the Next Window JUST PUT IN DFU PWN MODE
    Follow instructions on the next screen how to put in in DFU mode.
    If Successful you will see in redsn0w DONE button and message Successful.
    Last step open iTunes, Hold shift select your custom firmware 4.2.1 and restore. Let it Finish.
    After it boots up, use latest greenpois0n jailbreak and unlock UNTETHERED.
    Pack it and send it to Ecuador !

Let me know if you run into problems !

If I use this method to Jailbreak the phone (greenpois0n), does it also allow for unlocking? I've read so many places that you can only jailbreak certain ways if you need to use ultrasn0w to unlock it later. Thanks for the advice though, it is greatly appreciated. I'll be trying it today.

MADMUDDER:
    Sure. As I am new here as well, I am not not sure of the policy to posting links here, so just to be safe, google: "3G CUSTOM RESTORE 4.2.1 LOOP FIX" and you will find the instructions there. I do know it is not allowed to post links to custom firmware, but it's very easy to find. Just google for one that specifically states it either does NOT contain the BB update or contains one below 6.15.
    Last edited by iAhmi; 02-13-2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iAhmi For This Useful Post:

Madmudder (02-13-2011)

Just wanted to thank everybody for their help, I followed the instructions for the custom firmware restore and greenpois0n and it worked perfectly. Can't tell you what a relief it is that I didn't kill this phone. CHEERS!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to vodoochild For This Useful Post:

delusion950 (02-13-2011)

Glad to hear!

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vodoochild View Post
    Just wanted to thank everybody for their help, I followed the instructions for the custom firmware restore and greenpois0n and it worked perfectly. Can't tell you what a relief it is that I didn't kill this phone. CHEERS!
    glad I/we could help