Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
02-11-2011, 07:16 PM #1failed to jailbreak, do i need a DFU recovery? or just itunes recovery
Hi I'm a noob jb'er who tried to jb my i touch 4g on the latest firmware on windows with redsn0w unaware that it wasnt possible yet.
It obviously failed, and it started doing some scary **** so I recovered using the 'restore factory settings' on itunes. shorty after the formatting I ran into some errors on itunes something like 'cannot connect to this ipod' and it persisted for a while which made me sad as it was brand new
after a few tries though it just went away and it started working fine, even though i didnt do anything else to it.
then i learned theres sth called DFU mode that can be used to recover from bricks and phails
1. how do you restore using DFU mode and is it different from recovering using the button on itunes
2. Does failing to jb (specifically, in my case) have persisting effects on the device
thanks and sorry that im such a knob
02-11-2011, 07:19 PM #2
1. You set device into DFU (Google for instructions) then restore in iTunes. Its just a mode to put your phone into, not a separate restore method.
2. A failed jb won't hurt the device if you can succesfully restore. So long as you set it up as new and not restore from back up, you won't have residual jb data which could cause problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:
02-12-2011, 12:33 PM #3
To go into DFU mode:
1. Plug your iPod in
2. Hold down power button for 3 seconds
3. Do not release power, but also hold down home button for 10 seconds
4. Do not release home button, but release power and hold home for 20 seconds
Then iTunes will recognize your iPod is in DFU mode.
Hope this helped, good luck.The Apple Input
02-12-2011, 12:34 PM #4
After you plug in the iPod, make sure it is completely powered off before trying to enter dfu mode.
02-12-2011, 12:38 PM #5
02-12-2011, 12:39 PM #6