Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2.1 questions

Default Upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2.1 questions
    Hello. I have an unlocked untethered 4.1 running on 3G. I received it as such so I have no idea how it was unlocked. The battery life as well as the overall performance is deplorable so I was thinking of upgrading to 4.2.1 to see if it runs smoother, does't crash Skype and Internet tethering and saves some battery life.

Coming from a jb phone, how should I proceed to do this? Which version of redsn0w should I use? How should I upgrade to 4.2.1? via iTunes or elsewhere?

I love the iPhone.. Do you guys think I will see a drastic battery and performance upgrade with 4.2.1?

Thanks!!

Also my baseband is 05.11.07 and it is a 8Gb phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    As a 4.2.1er I think I shoud warn you before you do anything, that the majority of packages DO NOT WORK with 4.2.1... So as a 4.1 I would say stick with that. To solve the battery problem you could install a program such as Auto3G, which will turn your 3g off while the screen is locked. It can be found in Cydia. As far as Skype goes, you probably have already checked, but they just updated it I think either today or yesterday so you may want to check the App Store for updates. Umm as far as the internet tethering goes, I have only used MyWi 3.0 and it seems to be working fine, but if the problems you are having is connecting with the computer then I'd recommend using your usb cable to tether it instead of using the wireless or bluetooth to tether it.

But as far as I have seen there is no real change in battery life from 4.1 to 4.2.1, but I'd be glad to help you figure out how to upgrade it if you still want to go ahead with it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MadMoody For This Useful Post:

dynelight (01-30-2011)

Thank you very much for your input.
    I resolved to go back to 3.1.3. The device seems to be running a LOT smoother and MyWi works perfectly fine.

My only problem is getting Push to work on eBuddy. I tried to install PushDoctor but the instalation fails...

Any advice on this? Thanks a lot!

If you want you can upgrade to 4.0.1 so that you have all the iOS 4 features and you can still have an untethered jailbreak through jailbreakme.com on your iPhone. To save battery life you might want to turn brightness down, and turn multitasking off (through the cydia app ZToggle if you run iOS 4)

Thanks again!
    I decided to go back to 3.1.3 for now.. Like I said it seems to be running a lot more smoother..

The only thing I need to do now is to make push doctor work... Think anyone can help me with making Ebuddy work with push?

Thanks a lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by dynelight View Post
    Thanks again!
    I decided to go back to 3.1.3 for now.. Like I said it seems to be running a lot more smoother..

The only thing I need to do now is to make push doctor work... Think anyone can help me with making Ebuddy work with push?

Thanks a lot!!
    Can't help you there Sorry!!! Good luck though. Make sure the program is compatible with that firmware. It should be, but better safe than sorry. And you could try the cydia app called PushFix 2.0 I think it works good but you may have to download a cracked version unless you wanna pay...

And also a quick off topic question... Are you using a mac. If so I'm having a problem trying to downgrade my firmware... Wondering if you could help.
    Last edited by AppBuzz; 01-30-2011 at 08:36 PM.

I was originally running iOS 4.1 limera1n, untethered Jailbroken iPhone 4.

Then I found untethered Jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1 so this is what I do:
    • Backup my iPhone at iTunes
    • Pressing 'alt/option'-key and click Restore at iTunes
    • Select 4.2.1 IPSW, and then wait until iTunes re-install iPhone using iOS 4.2.1
    • Open redsn0w 0.9.7b6, select 4.2.1 IPSW
    • Add Untethered Jailbreak Monte by selecting 4.2b3 IPSW
    • Jailbroke it.. And finally I got Apple iPhone 4 running on untethered Jailbroken iOS 4.2.1
    My photos while Jailbreaking My iPhone4 running iOS 4.2.1 (using redsn0w 0.9.7b6 (ipsw: 4.2.1 + 4.2b3 untethered)

Quote Originally Posted by dynelight View Post
    Thank you very much for your input.
    I resolved to go back to 3.1.3. The device seems to be running a LOT smoother and MyWi works perfectly fine.

My only problem is getting Push to work on eBuddy. I tried to install PushDoctor but the instalation fails...

Any advice on this? Thanks a lot!
    The fix for push notifications are specific to your device version, firmware and also the carrier. Can you specify those three pieces of information?

Carrier is Tim
    firmware is3.1.3
    iPhone 3g 8gb