Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.2.1 Epic Fail

Default Upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.2.1 Epic Fail
    I downloaded "iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw" along with redsn0w 0.9.6 and tried to upgrade my iPhone 3G from iOS 3.1.3 with a baseband of 5.14 to iOS 4.2.1 with the ipad baseband of 6.15. Think I know where I went wrong too. The first step was to upgrade to 4.2 using iTunes. I started the process but when I finished downloading redsn0w, I opened that program to get the 4.2.1 restore set up for the next step. I didn't realize that it had closed out iTunes and stopped the initial upgrade to 4.2.

Proceeded to load up the 4.2.1 restore because I thought that was the "CURRENT" firmware, checked the download cydia box and the box for the ipad firmware and went ahead with the upgrade/jailbreak. After redsn0w finished flashing the ipad baseband, the device had a little white square in the top left corner, then the apple popped up, then the little processing scroll wheel (which all took forever), then it just flashed a white screen real quick and started all over again.

Now when I get my phone back to recovery mode, Windows tries finding the drivers for the device and then stops because it can't find them anywhere. I've tried to enter it in manually using the device manager, but no dice. I just have an Apple Mobile Device with no drivers and a little exclamation point next to the icon in the device manager.

I'm wondering if it got jacked up because I still had 3.1.3 firmware when I tried running redsn0w. If that's the case, is there a way to revert back to 3.1.3 using redsn0w or can I get the system to recognize the device so I can upgrade to 4.2 through iTunes?

Thank you for any wisdom or advise, problem solving and otherwise, you can throw my way.

Cheers

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Can you get it to DFU mode? Attach to power, reset the device (power and home until the screen flashes off them back on), release and rehold power and home for 10 seconds, release power while still holding home for roughly 10 seconds (may take longer sometimes).

Alright, here's what I've been able to do so far. I was able to install the drivers for the device so now when I plug it in, it is recognizable as an iPhone which then allows me to Restore the device in iTunes. I tried restoring to factory, but after I did that I got a 1015 error stating that I could not restore. I am guessing that is because I had already flashed to 6.15 baseband and now I can't go backwards, I don't really know for sure. Then I entered Recovery Mode again and tried just updating to the most current iPhone firmware. Again I got the 1015 error. I figured maybe after dooing the restore and upgrade I could try using redsn0w to do the Jailbreak and install Cydia. I went through the steps, using the proper ipsw file for 4.2.1 and when it completed on redsn0w, I saw the running pineapple which I had never seen before (this is progress to my situation). While running the program, it will either get to Flashing baseband and sit for a while. After that it reboots and goes right into Recovery Mode. When I plug into the computer, it tells me I need to Restore. If I try to restore, I get the 1015 error.

Sorry for the long reply, but I figure if I give as much info as I can, it will help resolve the situation sooner. To answer your question, I can totally get into DFU mode.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyRoboto View Post
    Alright, here's what I've been able to do so far. I was able to install the drivers for the device so now when I plug it in, it is recognizable as an iPhone which then allows me to Restore the device in iTunes. I tried restoring to factory, but after I did that I got a 1015 error stating that I could not restore. I am guessing that is because I had already flashed to 6.15 baseband and now I can't go backwards, I don't really know for sure. Then I entered Recovery Mode again and tried just updating to the most current iPhone firmware. Again I got the 1015 error. I figured maybe after dooing the restore and upgrade I could try using redsn0w to do the Jailbreak and install Cydia. I went through the steps, using the proper ipsw file for 4.2.1 and when it completed on redsn0w, I saw the running pineapple which I had never seen before (this is progress to my situation). While running the program, it will either get to Flashing baseband and sit for a while. After that it reboots and goes right into Recovery Mode. When I plug into the computer, it tells me I need to Restore. If I try to restore, I get the 1015 error.

Sorry for the long reply, but I figure if I give as much info as I can, it will help resolve the situation sooner. To answer your question, I can totally get into DFU mode.
    I know this post is kind of old but I had the same issue and resolved it. Use sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 to create customer firmware using your 4.2.1 ipsw. There are instructions on how to do this if you google it. Then shift+click in iTunes to restore with custom firmware. I had this exact same issue with the white square in the top left and the constant restarting. Once I did this I was able to unlock the phone with the ipad baseband installed.

JBRE, I can't thank you enough. You saved my life and my iphone 3G.
    Thanks for posting & helping others.