+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: url in email crashes springboard 4.2.1 on 3G

is a discussion within the

redsn0w

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I just jailbroke my iPhone 3G today using redsn0w to iOS 4.2.1 Now I am having a problem with any url in an email crashing springboard (whatever that is) I
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default url in email crashes springboard 4.2.1 on 3G
    I just jailbroke my iPhone 3G today using redsn0w to iOS 4.2.1

Now I am having a problem with any url in an email crashing springboard (whatever that is)

I even tried a test email to myself using a simple url, such as Google and it still crashes

How can I fix this?
    Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonyvr4 View Post
    I just jailbroke my iPhone 3G today using redsn0w to iOS 4.2.1

Now I am having a problem with any url in an email crashing springboard (whatever that is)

I even tried a test email to myself using a simple url, such as Google and it still crashes

How can I fix this?
    Thanks
    Im having the same problem. I've tried everything and the problem continues. Deleted the ispw and reinstalled the IOS. Then I re downloaded redsn0w and tried to re JB twice. No luck. It eventually became impossible to download anything from the app store or cydia. I think I've given up on the JB until they get the bugs out, but man this sucks. Not being jailbroke is lame...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I agree, not being jailbroken is frustrating.

In order to get Cydia to work I had to redo the jailbreak again. Then the icon came back and Cydia worked.

The only problem is the url in emails. I have to be careful to try and not accidentally click on a link or it crashes springboard.

Hopefully someone will respond with a fix

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Since there appears to be no fix for this issue, can anyone tell me how I can go back to Ios 4.1?

I am tired of all the crashes and other issues with 4.2.1

I did save my SHSH using tiny umbrella like someone told me a few versions ago.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The only way to solve this problem is to remove SBSettings. I had this same issue. I couldn't click any link for it to switch an app (i.e. click a URL in my email for it to open Safari) without it crashing and rebooting in Safe Mode. I also had the problem with tapping reply on a text message alert, if I was in another app, then when it would try to switch the apps, it would crash and reboot in safe mode again.

I am running a 3G on 4.2.1. I have read many forums and this has been others solutions, so I uninstalled it. I do like SBSettings and miss it, but until they update it, I can't have the aggravation of always having my phone crash. Btw, my phone hasn't crashed...not one time, since I uninstalled SBSettings.

Just thought I would help out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mailbox40409 For This Useful Post:

padawanspider (01-26-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Will I loose any features if I remove SB Settings?

At this point as long it it stops the crashing, I will remove it anyway

Removed SBSettings and it did not fix issue
    Last edited by tonyvr4; 01-04-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonyvr4 View Post
    Will I loose any features if I remove SB Settings?
    I am sure nothing will come loose, if it does you can get one of those little screwdrivers and tighten it up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Fixed for me.
    I had the same problem - I have a 2g non-mc ipod touch, upgraded from jailbroken 4.1.0 to 4.2.1, immediately jailbroke using redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 and restored my Cydia apps via AptBackup (with SBSettings included). Any time an app tried to access Safari or e-mail, or if I clicked on a link in an e-mail, the springboard would crash and boot in safe mode.

Here's what worked for me.

I uninstalled SBSettings using Cydia and re-springed, still had the same problem. I then re-jailbroke using Redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 (intended to attempt a tethered boot; did not realize it would not give me the option since my model does not require a tether). The first attempt at a re-jailbreak was unsuccessful - the ipod would not boot - but the second attempt worked fine. All my Cydia stuff is still there (minus SBSettings) and my icons and Winterboard settings are as I had them before the uninstall. So far I have not had another crash (granted, it's been about an hour. )

In retrospect I probably should have tried a plain 'ol re-boot after the SBSettings uninstall, before the re-jailbreak - that might have solved the problem. I might try SBSettings again in a few weeks when I feel up to dealing with another potential re-jailbreak, but for now I'm just glad my iPod works

Short version (Verified for iPod 2G NON-MC ONLY):
    -uninstall SBSettings
    -Reboot and test to see if links still crash SB
    -if it still crashes, re-jailbreak using redsn0w 0.9.6rc8
    -if the jailbreak fails, try again until it does
    -you should be golden!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I doubt it's SBSettings problem. The problem is due to multitasking failure on iPhone 2g/3g. When a URL is clicked, the app is switched to Safari and that's when the multitasking failed. And this problem also occur for example when you click on "Send SMS" to a contact on phonebook, which switches to the SMS app. The solution is www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323402

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hmm. Thanks for the link. Does SBSettings require multitasking? Because all I know is, once I got rid of SBSettings and re-jailbroke, the links weren't crashing anymore.

What's Jailbreak? AustinHarleyD's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinHarleyD View Post
    I would recommend fully restoring the device. Then follow my guide for Untethered Greenpois0n RC5
    Try this.
    Last edited by AustinHarleyD; 02-12-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Fixed
    The Apple Input

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by padawanspider View Post
    Hmm. Thanks for the link. Does SBSettings require multitasking? Because all I know is, once I got rid of SBSettings and re-jailbroke, the links weren't crashing anymore.
    Not too sure. Maybe SBSettings can be the problem as well. But for me it was the multitasking problem. Can you multitask properly? Like switching apps on the multitaskbar.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    pmaxv, I followed the instructions on your link and now have fast-app-switching capabilities. When I used redsn0w, I had the "enable multitasking" box checked - maybe that is causing problems with SBSettings. I will probably try SBSettings again when I feel like fiddling with another jailbreak

AustinHarleyD, what is the advantage to using Greenpois0n RC5? My device is a non-MC model, so it doesn't require a tethered boot with redsn0w.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to padawanspider For This Useful Post:

AustinHarleyD (02-14-2011)

What's Jailbreak? AustinHarleyD's Avatar
    Thanks
    The advantage is it is untethered, meaning that you can turn the ipod on and off and not have to worry about rebooting tethered. Also, it is not a beta, as the Redsn0w I used before Greenpois0n is. Another thing is, its hard to explain, but everything runs smoother on Greenpois0n than Redsn0w. I have had no problems with Greenpois0n whatsoever, but Redsn0w caused problems due to its tethered jailbreak. Some Cydia packages required a reboot, but you can not do that tethered.

Just opinion.
    The Apple Input

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Solve the Url email Problem in IOS 4.2.1
    Hi, I am not an expert, and I am not even an average user of iphone, but I have the same issue that tonyr4 had. The only solution I did found was installing zToggle (from Cidya) This app, disable the multitasking capabilities from your iphone. I have done this to obtain a better performance in my iphone 3G, but surprisingly this app solve the url problems inside my email. Maybe it was just a lucky hit or maybe this could help to anybody who doesnīt want to re-jailbreak or doesnīt know (like me) how to jailbreak itīs iphone.

Thatīs all by now. Hope this could help somebody.