+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: redsn0w 0.9.6b5 unexpected error

is a discussion within the

redsn0w

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I'm having the same issue and this is not a knock against the dev team because I appreciate all that they do and without them I wouldn't even own an
    Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm having the same issue and this is not a knock against the dev team because I appreciate all that they do and without them I wouldn't even own an iPhone but EVERY TIME I need to update or jailbreak or unlock something goes wrong. I follow the instructions perfectly and here I am with an unusable iPhone because this redsn0w doesn't seem to work with snow leopard? How am I supposed to think to check that?

I don't have a bunch of computers lying around that I can experiment with different operating systems on...I'm going to keep chipping away at this and hope I can find a resolution.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had a similar issue when trying to JB my iPhone 3g 8GB. I found that it was a hardware issue caused by having the iPhone cable going into a USB hub. It seems that redsn0w 0.9.6b4 can not see the device through the hub. I spent almost 2 days trying to track this down. Once I shifted the cable to connect directly to the computer I had no issues.

btw: running OSx 10.6.5 snow leopard.

Hope this helps

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm running OSX 10.6.4, iTunes 10.1. Redsn0w 0.9.6b5. OEM usb cords (multiple) plugged directly in to MacBkPro 15".
    I restore phones and unlock/JB on this computer daily.

I'm trying to JB/UL a 3Gs (new bootrom) on 4.2.1. 0.5.15...

Everytime I try to use redsn0w, it goes through the "exploiting with limera1n" step, then gives: "An unexpected error occurred. Please try agin. Try rebooting your device and changing USB ports.". followed by a white screen that persists until the phone self-reboots to its original, unjailbroken state.

When I try to use pwnagetool unlock edition (with modified package for new bootrom 3gs installed), it keeps giving me "wrong firmware selected" when I try to use the 4.2.1 firmware that I DL'd from Apple (multiple times to assure a good file).

I have obviously already tried diff cords and usb ports, no help. Any thoughts?
    Either I am missing something entirely (no JB/UL on 4.2.1 3gs new bootrom?), or there is something with my software.
    I am proficient at this stuff, so please no suggestions of DFU instead of restore...
    Thanks guys!

Thanks
    I have the same problem. 3gs old bootrom. I dropped the dev-team suggested bundle in pwnage tool, created custom firmware, restored in itunes. now on 4.2.1 with bb 05.12.01 but I keep getting the error with redsnow 0.9.6b6. I'm using 10.6.5 with itunes 10.1

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jojo80s View Post
    yesterday, i had 10.6.3, iTunes 9.2, redsn0w 0.9.6b5... everything worked fine.
    today, i have 10.6.5, iTunes 10.1, redsn0w 0.9.6b5... and it keeps hanging and reporting unexpected error....

so i guess its either the 10.6.5 or 10.1 that broke redsn0w..

i went to a different computer with 10.5.+ and iTunes 9.+ with redsn0w 0.9.6b5... and it worked with no problem..

so i guess devteam needs to update redsn0w to fix this, maybe they didnt test it under 10.6.5/10.1

or someone figures out what to do to make it work back again...
    I guess you are talking about mac, I know you have to set redsn0w to xp2 compatibility mode for windows 64 bits to be able to run for PC.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yep. Mac. Nobody else is having this problem? I've had 3 out of the past 4 3gs's (all new bootrom, some 4.1, some 4.2.1) fail.

Interesting: My iTunes thinks that there is an iPhone in recovery mode plugged in. Yet there is nothing plugged in to the computer. I have restarted, reinstalled, and re-plugged, to no avail.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I tried the same computer on windows. I had bootcamp installed so I ran windows 7. Worked flawlessly no issues whatsoever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am having the same problem as everyone else. Mac OS 10.6.5 on a MacBook Pro running iTunes 10.1

followed all instructions to use Pawnage Tool to go to 4.2.1 and preserve baseband 05.12.01. that part worked flawlessly but as noted it is necessary to use Redsn0w to jailbreak because Cydia and Safari will not launch.

So the procedure is to use Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 to jailbreak. Just as others report Redsn0w will crash after entering DFU mode and doing it's thing. The iPhone is on the white screen and Redsn0w has failed.

I have an iPhone 3GS. Please Dev Team guys fix this. I am trying to use VMWare and Windoze as a workaround to see if I can get Redsn0w to work. Right now I have been at it for five hours.

BTW when the Redsn0w apps crashes it also corrupts itself and the OS so trying again requires a fresh download and a reboot but the results are still the same.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Guess I'll add my two cents in here...

I have a 3gs that was restored with the standard 4.2.1, activated, the whole shebang. I'm going to Mexico for a few weeks at the end of the month so I want to unlock. Had the 05.15.04 baseband, followed the redsn0w directions to UPDATE the baseband to the 06.15 iPad baseband (as well as jailbreaking the device...cool beans) which then could be unlocked via ultrasn0w in cydia.

Well now I have a 3gs running 4.2.1 just fine, but cydia AND safari don't work (apparently these are related issues..?) with the 06.15 ipad baseband. I've tried to reinstall a custom 4.2.1 firmware with redsn0w but I keep getting "unexpected error," despite the fact that it worked the first time (I've got the white cydia box).

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Thanked 14,861 Times in 6,897 Posts

You sound like you have a new bootrom 3GS so would have to boot tethered every time with redsnow 0.9.6b6 to be able to use cydia.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK here's the weirder thing: When I plug it in itunes says there are TWO iphones plugged in, one named Dark Knight (yes that's what i named it) and one that's in recovery mode. When redsn0w starts with the "hold down the power button" instructions it jumps directly to jailbreaking, as if it's already in DFU mode (which clearly it's not since I just turned the damn thing off)

Anyone able to shed some light on this??

Thanks

Ok, havent seen that before. Very strange.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So OK I just plugged it into my computer (had to take a few hour break I'm ready to sledgehammer this pos) and now it is just popping up as Dark Knight (it's name). There is still baseband 6.15 (iPad) and running 4.2.1 software which I ASSUME is jailbroken since I have the white Cydia ICON, but no functionality AND Safari still isn't working.

x98car I see you are the guru to end all gurus so I humbly ask your professional opinion:

wat do?

Thanks

Use redsnow 0.9.6b6 to boot tethered

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have exactly the same problem like SunnyDaze.

Well now I have a 3gs running 4.2.1 just fine, but cydia AND safari don't work (apparently these are related issues..?) with the 06.15 ipad baseband. I've tried to reinstall a custom 4.2.1 firmware with redsn0w but I keep getting "unexpected error," despite the fact that it worked the first time (I've got the white cydia box).
    It also doesn't work to "Use redsnow 0.9.6b6 to boot tethered"
    The error message is the same: "unexpected error"

Any other ideas what we can do to fix the issues?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was having the same problem on my MAC...I would get the "unexpected error" message so I opened up my PC and ran redsnow to first install cydia, and then re-run to boot tethered and it WORKED!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah I was thinkin I'd probably have to dust off the ol thinkpad....thanks for the reply!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    iphone 3gs 4.2.1 baseband 05.14.05 and every single time i try to jailbreak using redsnow it get stock on ramdisk part after waiting like 30 mins the phone reboot itself and nothing happen. any advice thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jordanarath View Post
    iphone 3gs 4.2.1 baseband 05.14.05 and every single time i try to jailbreak using redsnow it get stock on ramdisk part after waiting like 30 mins the phone reboot itself and nothing happen. any advice thanks
    How did you get to 4.2.1 and with 4.1 baseband ? Since you already have 05.14.xx bb which is from fw 4.1, you should restore to 4.2.1 again and then jailbreak it with redsn0w 0.9.6b6.
    This way , you get a clean, fresh 4.2.1 to be jailbroken by redsn0w.

Thanks

Also make sure you are running redsnow in windows xp sp2 compatibility mode.