Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Few Questions about redsnOw

Default Few Questions about redsnOw
    Hey Guys

I am currently running 2.1 on a 2g iphone(first gen)and want to go to 3.0 using redSnOw. I was just wondering before starting the redSnOw process should I shift click and restore to 3.0 or just hit the update to 3.0 from itunes so all my apps will stay?

2.) If I do it from updating(click update) through itunes do I have to use the file Itunes downloaded for redSnOw or can I use the one I downloaded?

3.) I am going to be doing this from a USB hub is that ok?

4.) I was watching my friend do the process today on his 2g and he just straight updated(clicked update) and then had device not recognized in itunes and just had the plug into computer screen on the phone. Any Idea why this happened and how to avoid that?

Sorry for all the questions guys, just don't want to have any problems.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

update to iTunes 8.2. Restore your iPhone to 3.0 and then run redsn0w. USB hub should be fine although you dont need one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

TripleH13 (06-22-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    update to iTunes 8.2. Restore your iPhone to 3.0 and then run redsn0w. USB hub should be fine although you dont need one.
    so I should shift click restore, I shouldn't just click update? If so is it ok to restore from a backup at the end or is it not suggested?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If your phone is currently jailbroken you want to use the restore feature. If it's not jailbroken use upgrade. After this you can use your back-up. If you have any icons hidden or in categories you will need to unhide them before you create the back-up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

TripleH13 (06-23-2009)

thanks for all the help. Just one more question if I restore my phone to 3.0 am I suppose to get the emergency call screen on my phone and have the phone not recognized through itunes when using redsnOW?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,209 Times in 6,214 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TripleH13 View Post
    thanks for all the help. Just one more question if I restore my phone to 3.0 am I suppose to get the emergency call screen on my phone and have the phone not recognized through itunes when using redsnOW?
    nope, you shouldn't have that. You'll have to DFU and restore in iTunes again.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

TripleH13 (06-23-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    nope, you shouldn't have that. You'll have to DFU and restore in iTunes again.
    any reason why that would happen?

Second so to put it in dfu I just hold the power and home for a 10 seconds and then it should reconize and then I would shift click restore to 3.0 again?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,209 Times in 6,214 Posts

here ya go. try this
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it’s in restore mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connect and disconnect.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

TripleH13 (06-23-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Also: If you follow the timing exactly on the last page in redsn0w for holding down the sleep/power and home buttons, it will put the iPhone in DFU mode. Same buttons and timings as @blkcadi mentioned above
    Last edited by Mes; 06-23-2009 at 08:34 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

TripleH13 (06-23-2009)

thanks again guys and just to clarify one thing to start redsnow I should have a fully working phone that is locked with no emergency call screen?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TripleH13 View Post
    thanks again guys and just to clarify one thing to start redsnow I should have a fully working phone that is locked with no emergency call screen?
    Well .... hmmmm.... I don't think it matters what is displayed because the instructions on the redsn0w page forces you to put the iPhone into DFU mode. Once in DFU mode, nothing else really matters
    Last edited by Mes; 06-24-2009 at 02:52 AM.