+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How I Jailbroke iPhone 3G with redsn0w - WinXP

is a discussion within the

redsn0w

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Ok, I just jailbroke my iPhone 3G and here's how it was done. According to the dev team blog, this should work on the iPhone 2G (first gen), iPhone 3G,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How I Jailbroke iPhone 3G with redsn0w - WinXP
    Ok, I just jailbroke my iPhone 3G and here's how it was done. According to the dev team blog, this should work on the iPhone 2G (first gen), iPhone 3G, and both versions of the iPod Touch. This does not work for the iPhone 3Gs!!

Also, I did this using Windows XP SP3. I am also using an official AT&T iPhone 3G on AT&T's network. I plan on unlocking it and selling it on eBay as soon as I can. This phone is activated on AT&T's network currently.

Ok, let's get started. First, download this torrent (official from http://blog.iphone-dev.org/)
    http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/496...40.TPB.torrent
    You also need your device to be on the new 3.0 software, so if you haven't done so yet, update the software on your device through iTunes (if you use an unlocked device, and rely on that unlock to use the phone, wait until they release the unlock, as this guide is just for jailbreak - they haven't released the unlock yet). I copied the 3.0 .ipsw file to my desktop so it would be easy to find in redsn0w. I found the file at:
    "CDocuments and Settings\XXXXX\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates"
    you should replace the XXXX with your username. The name of the ipsw file you need is: iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw.

After you've finished the above requirements you will find 4 files inside the torrent: redsn0w.exe, README.txt, license.txt, and credits.txt. You want to run redsn0w.exe.

Click browse and find the ipsw file that you copied to the desktop. It should say "IPSW successfully identified" on the redsn0w screen.

Click Next. I only had the option to install Cydia, so I left that box checked and clicked Next again.

Make sure your device is connected to the computer and iTunes is closed. Turn off your device (I connected it first, then turned it off while it was connected).

Be ready before you click Next because redsn0w doesn't give you a chance to pick up the device:
    • Right after you click Next you need to hold down the Power button for 3 seconds.
    • Then without releasing the power button, also hold down the Home button for 10 seconds.
    • Then without releasing the Home button, release the power button and continue to hold Home for 30 seconds.

After the screen changes, you can release the Home button (it wasn't a full 30 seconds for me) and let redsn0w do it's thing.

After a couple of minutes the jailbreak will be complete. Congratulations.

So you know, I only did this on the iPhone 3G and there were no problems, so I cannot help troubleshoot... sorry.
    Last edited by danaconda; 06-20-2009 at 09:18 AM.