+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS (bb 04.26.08) problem when trying to update to 4.1

is a discussion within the

Pwnage

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hello I bought a phone from eBay, assuming I could Jailbreak it (and then unlock it). It's an iPhone 3GS with 32GB. iOS 3.0 with 04.26.08 baseband. I wanted to
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Question 3GS (bb 04.26.08) problem when trying to update to 4.1
    Hello

I bought a phone from eBay, assuming I could Jailbreak it (and then unlock it).

It's an iPhone 3GS with 32GB. iOS 3.0 with 04.26.08 baseband.
    I wanted to get iOS 4+ on there for its features. However, it had no SHSH blobs saved at all. I was told I could put iOS 4.1 on it without any SHSH blobs.

I've Jailbroken and Unlocked an iPhone before, so I know the process reasonably well.
    So here's what I did:
    • Downloaded iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw
    • Plugged the phone into my Mac (Snow Leopard 10.6.8). The phone has an old AT&T SIM inside.
    • Quit from iTunes.
    • Launched PwnageTool 4.1.2. Created custom firmware from above-mentioned ISPW, activation off (I have an old AT&T sim).
    • Put phone into DFU mode via PwnageTool.
    • Launched TinyUmbrella, started TSS server.
    • Launched iTunes (version 10.4). Option-clicked "Restore," located the custom firmware ISPW that I just made.
    • Waited. Progress bar on the phone complete. iTunes says phone has been restored and phone will restart.

At this point is where the problem is. The phone doesn't restart, it just switches off after the progress bar finishes, in a bricked state. iTunes thinks the phone is still in Recovery mode like before.

I tried kicking it out of recovery mode with TinyUmbrella, and the phone does indeed "wake up" from its bricked state. But instead of the Apple logo, it shows a text terminal and has a ton of command-interface verbiage on the screen. First it mentions Greenpois0n, and then a bunch of other stuff (I'm writing this at work based on what I remember, I have the phone at home). After few minutes of showing command-line verbiage on the screen, it switches off and turns into a brick.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Any help to get this phone to iOS 4.1 (and keep its 04.26.08 baseband) is appreciated. Thanks!

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Your process is sound with one exception:
    Apple is currently signing 4.1. Tiny Umbrella + TSS server are not needed. Try without TU.
    TU can be used IF the 4.1 SHSH blob is already on the computer.

Fixrecovery may help: http://cache.firmwareumbrella.com/do...covery-osx.zip

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Your process is sound with one exception:
    Apple is currently signing 4.1. Tiny Umbrella + TSS server are not needed. Try without TU.
    TU can be used IF the 4.1 SHSH blob is already on the computer.

Fixrecovery may help: http://cache.firmwareumbrella.com/do...covery-osx.zip
    Thanks, however I do remember trying it without TinyUmbrella, and I got an error something like "This device isn't eligible."

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Recently? That will happen for non-signed versions - 4.1 is currently being signed.

Check your hosts file and delete anything related to 'gs.apple.com' .... or ...
    .... run TU, advanced tab, uncheck 'Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit', exit TU

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

bologna (08-11-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thank you, this worked! I opened up the hosts file, and lo and behold those gs.apple.com entries were in there. Deleted them, saved, rebooted, and all went well!

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Congratulations.