+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Use Pwnage Tool to make a custom firmware

is a discussion within the

Pwnage

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
This is a general guide for how to use pwnage tool to make a custom firmware. i will be using pwnage tool 4.1.3 and using iPhone 3G as an example.
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,108 Times in 6,942 Posts

Default [How To] Use Pwnage Tool to make a custom firmware
    This is a general guide for how to use pwnage tool to make a custom firmware. i will be using pwnage tool 4.1.3 and using iPhone 3G as an example. You can adjust what you are doing for what firmware and device you are making it for. I will not get into the full expert mode options either since if you know how to use those then you don't need this guide.

Pwnage Tool can be found here: Dev-Team Blog

Open Pwnage Tool, Click on Expert mode and select your device, then click next

Double-click on "Browse for IPSW" and choose the regular firmware that you want to make a custom firmware with. I will be choosing 4.2.1 in this case.

With this particular version of pwnage tool you will have the option of updating your baseband to the iPad one if you want to unlock. DO NOT DO THIS if you are already have an unlockable baseband. If you want to do this (if you have 5.14.02 or 5.15.04 baseband and want to unlock) then press yes, you will need to point pwnage tool to a iPad 3.2.2 firmware for this.

Double click on General

If you have a official carrier sim to activate with then deselect the activate box. If you dont then leave it checked.

Press the back button then double click Build and select where you want to save the custom firmware

Let pwnage tool do its thing. You will need to type your admin password half way through.

At the end of the process you will get a message asking you if you are pwned already. Just click no and follow the instrctions for entering pwned dfu. Once done you should see the blue message that you have successfully entered dfu.

Close pwnage tool, open iTunes, you will get a message saying the phone is in recovery. Press ok and then hold down option and click restore. A window will pop up where you can choose the custom firmware you just created.
    Let iTunes restore your firmware.

If you are trying to make a custom 4.2.1 firmware for 3GS then you need to add a custom bundle to pwnage tool first. See here how to do that: iClarified - iPhone - How to Add a Firmware Bundle to PwnageTool

Since the 3GS 4.2.1 is a custom bundle it will not add cydia like a normal custom firmware would. In this case you would need redsnow 0.9.6rc8 to install cydia. If you have new bootrom you will also need to boot tethered with redsnow after installing cydia and every reboot after that until a untethered jailbreak for new bootrom devices on 4.2.1 is released.

Steps for using redsnow:
    1: Get past emergency call screen by putting in a official sim and plugging into itunes. If you dont have one proceed to next step.
    2: Run redsnow 0.9.6rc8 and browse for a regular (not custom) 4.2.1 firmware, say yes to the new model question if you have new bootrom or no if you have old bootrom. If you aren't sure which you have use idetector to find out:iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones
    3: Choose the option to install cydia
    4: Follow directions for going into dfu
    5: Once booted up you if you are old bootrom you are done STOP HERE. If you are new bootrom you will see cydia but if you try and open it will immediately close
    6:Turn phone off
    7: Run redsnow again this time choose the option to boot tethered
    8: When booted up run cydia and install any available updates
    9: When that finishes do not press reboot, instead manually turn the phone off
    10: Run redsnow again and choose boot tethered again
    11: Open cydia search for ultrasnow and install it
    12: Do not press reboot, follow same things you did in steps 9&10
    13: When booted up you should be fully working and unlocked.

Remember if you are new bootrom you have a tethered jailbreak on 4.2.1 for now. This means every time you turn the phone off you will need to run redsnow again to boot tethered. If you dont you will end up with boot loop (apple logo on screen forever). If you ever end up in boot loop because you rebooted for whatever reason you can still run redsnow and boot tethered even if the phone is not in a starting point of being off. Entering dfu is the same method.

Pwnage tool 4.1.3 can make custom firmware for all idevices for 4.1 but not all for 4.2.1. If you get a "wrong firmware bundle selected" then pwnage tool can not make custom firmware for that device for that particular firmware.

If you want to make custom firmare for other firmwares lower (and in the future higher) then you will need a different version of pwnage tool. 4.1.3 can only make custom firmware for 4.1 and 4.2.1. The steps for making a custom firmware will be very similar though.

If you are trying to restore to a custom 4.1 you will need 4.1 SHSH.

If you are on windows you can use snowbreeze 2.1 to make custom 4.1 firmware. Snowbreeze does not support 4.2.1 yet though. Also if you have a iPhone 3G then use snowbreeze 2.0.2 to make a custom 4.1 firmware as Snowbreeze 2.1 is broken for making iPhone 3G custom 4.1. Guide here: HOW TO: Jailbreak iOS 4.1 with Sn0wbreeze 2.1

Anyone needing custom firmware for 4.2.1 and don't have access to a Mac see here: Let me google that for you

Linking to custom firmware is against forum policy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (03-09-2011), fhani80 (04-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Awesome guide Simon!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

Simon (01-26-2011)

Thanks

Thanks SB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

A question: Once the custom firmware is built, can it be used again? Specifically, if I want to upgrade another 3 GS, could I simply put that phone into DFU mode and restore using the previously built custom firmware in iTunes? I have 4 iPhones that I'd like to upgrade, and I'd like to save some steps, if possible.

Thanks

Yes you can use that firmware again on different iPhones as long as they are the same type of iPhone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

jeff-4 (02-24-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just to make sure before I do all of this.

So I am currently on an iPhone 3g with 5.12.01, I want to make a 4.1 and keep the baseband I have. Doing your steps it will have cydia, and after that I unlock it?

Thanks

You will probably need to make a custom 4.2.1 and restore to that. After that yes you can install ultrasnow from cydia and be unlocked.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why 4.2.1 and not 4.1?
    Also, I just realized this is mac only, is there a windows alternative?

Thank you for your help and quick reply!

Thanks

Snowbreeze is the windows "equivalent". I say 4.2.1 because you need SHSH to go to 4.1 which you may or may not have but even if you do it will just complicate things.

Thanks

Simon, are we supposed to select Expert mode if we want to preserve BB and then after restore, I can use Ultrasn0w to unlock again?
    Please consider the environment prior to printing

Thanks

Expert mode or simple mode will preserve your baseband.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

refresh button is not working when i add sources. it works great with the pre-saved sources on cydia (BigBoss, ModMyi... etc)
    These are the sources those i wanna add:

removed

[url=http://iphonedelivery.advinux.com/cydia[/url]

when i add them, they don't refresh and get me the apps ?
    any clue ?
    Last edited by Simon; 05-16-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks

We cannot help with warez here sorry. They are against forum rules.

Thanks

Yes, it can be used again on different iphones. As long as they are the same type of iphone.