+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3gs stuck in black recovery mode screen

is a discussion within the

Pwnage

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi community, I purchased an iPhone 3gs at OS 3.1.2 that was originally jailbreaked and unlocked with blackra1n. I disliked the tethered jailbreak feature so I attempted to switch over
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3gs stuck in black recovery mode screen
    Hi community,

I purchased an iPhone 3gs at OS 3.1.2 that was originally jailbreaked and unlocked with blackra1n. I disliked the tethered jailbreak feature so I attempted to switch over to pwnage for my jailbreak.

I created a custom IPSW with pwnage and then tried to restore to the custom IPSW using itunes. That didn't work so I tried it doing the custom restore again by entering DFU mode. This seemed to be working but in the end when the phone rebooted I ended up being stuck in the black recovery mode screen.

Now when I try to restore to an IPSW in itunes neither the custom IPSW for 3.1.2 or the official IPSW 3.1.2 from apple will work.

Also, blackra1n no longer recognizes the iphone so I cannot currently use blackra1n either.

I have not restored to official 3.1.3 yet but I'm wondering if this is my only option left at this point.

Thanks for all the help,

J

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

I did the same thing!
    I am assuming you are using version 3.14

Are you holding down to Alt Options key on the left hand side and are able to then choose the custom IPSW if so that is right!

I ran into trouble also and found in another post to put the phone in recovery mode is to hold down on the Home key on the iphone and keep it held down and plug in the usb cable and wait till the computer reconises the phone then let up on the home key! I want to be plain only hold down the home key and not the Power and Home key at the same time, HOLD DOWN ONLY THE HOME KEY!
    After itunes reconizes the phone in recovery mode and must be restored then hold down the ALT OPTIONS key and then scroll throught the files to you find the custom ISPW file which will say custom in the file descripiton as there will be also the original IPSW but be sure to choose the one that says custom in the file name!

Then let PWNAGE tool do its thing and when it is through it will reboot the phone! The thing that I did not know as it is not documented id that when you turn on the phone and see the pinapple it will take better than a minute to boot the phone so just look at the pinapple and it will boot and all is done!

Another thing that I did not know is that you will use all your contacts but you can run backup in itunes in stock mode and replace those!

I know it is very confusing as there are several so called guides but those are for when nothing goes wrong aka black screen!

My phone was broken on blackrain but I have felt the Dev team is the best way to go!

Also at one time I had to hold the Home key on the Iphone down for 10 to 15 sec to get it out of recovery mode, this is with the phone usb cable disconnected, just like you were turning on any iphone.

If you get the pinapple at the phones boot your there just let it boot as it seems to take a long time to boot!

Hope this helps and don't panic as you will get it to work, trust me!

This is lengthly but should help!

PM me if you need any more help!

Area51

Green Apple
    Thanks

Your stuck in boot loop theres only 1 possible fix for this but I dont think it has been released to the public. Its the simpliest thing ever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My fairly new 3GS was working fine, JB'd for over a month. Today, a call came in and the phone just locked up hard.

I'm 3.1.2 and stuck in the Blackra1n boot loop - if it's simple, please tell. There are a lot of us who are up sh1t's creek right now, no paddles and can't swim...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuminaryCrush View Post
    My fairly new 3GS was working fine, JB'd for over a month. Today, a call came in and the phone just locked up hard.

I'm 3.1.2 and stuck in the Blackra1n boot loop - if it's simple, please tell. There are a lot of us who are up sh1t's creek right now, no paddles and can't swim...
    kk Ill make a thread.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

HELP!!! HELP!!!! HELP!!!!
    I purchased an iPhone 3GS at OS 3.1.2 that was originally jailbreaked and unlocked with blackra1n from E-Bay seller. I was far away from and just forgot the charger. IPhone's battery went totally empty! When I came home I plugged ir to charging dock.After couple of hours,IPhone didn't wake up! I saw apple on the screen, something about 4 hours! so I decided to restore it with custom IPSW.I left it for a night, and at the morning the IPhone was alive.I started to back up everythindg I need.Then I went to Cydia and installed some apps?that I had installed before.After soft restart my IPhone had died again,,,, stuck in recovery mode.I tried everything I found in the net.... nothing helped!

I have not restored to official 3.1.3 yet but I'm wondering if this is my only option left at this point.

Thanks for all the help,Alex: [email protected]