+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Error 21 in iTunes?

is a discussion within the

Pwnage

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I keep getting an error 21 in itunes when I'm restoring to the custom, but have no problem restoring to the original. 2G 2.0.1, so I'm dling 2.1 and trying
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Angry Error 21 in iTunes?
    I keep getting an error 21 in itunes when I'm restoring to the custom, but have no problem restoring to the original. 2G 2.0.1, so I'm dling 2.1 and trying that but let me know if there's any other options. I've checked the threads and only errors 6, 15 and something like 1650 show up. So Error 21? ANY IDEAS?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Go to user/library/itunes/devicesupport/
    Delete the recovery file in there and then rebuild the custom firmware and DFU restore. I suggest upgrading to firmware 2.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I upgraded to 2.1 and am trying to use pwnage to create the custom but it's giving me an error saying wrong firmwear selected. UGGGG

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you have the newest version of Pwnage?
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Go to user/library/itunes/devicesupport/
    Delete the recovery file in there and then rebuild the custom firmware and DFU restore. I suggest upgrading to firmware 2.1
    I got error 21 also when trying to upgrade my buddy's phone to a custom firmware through iTunes.
    I had previously upgraded my own phone to the same custom firmware with no problem a few weeks earlier.

I had read around and found that error 21 might be due to having multiple iphones on the same computer but couldn't find any help.

I saw your post and went into Library/itunes/ but there is no "/devicesupport folder."

I'm on a mac running osx10.4.11

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

In my experience, every single time I restore any iphone to a custom firmware on my mac I have to go in to "user(your user name)/library/itunes/devicesupport/ then delete every file in the folder. Then open pwnage and create a new custom firmware.. follow the instructions to put the phone in DFU and finally restore to the newly built firmware file.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

envision (12-25-2008), THEdAY (11-15-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks for your advice. I've deleted the file, but now iTunes won't recognize my iPod when I plug it in-- it says that it's in restore mode, and must be updated, then doesn't load.....??!

Updated: I'm getting errors 1601 and 21, alternately, depending on which method I try. This is frustrating.....
    Last edited by drome_mc; 11-20-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: error #s added

Thanks

itunes has a check for iphones not pwned, So what you need to do is download quickpwn for the mac, restore to a stock un-modified 2.1 file from apple, then quickpwn it. after that then use the pwnage tool to create a custome firmware for 2.1 (probably a good idea to delete all the old firmware/ipsw files in your itunes under user/library/itunes/iphone software before doing all this)and do not put the phone in DFU or Restore mode. just simply click option and browse to where ever you placed your custom file(i keep mine on the desktop for easy finding)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks, but here's where it goes wrong....

my problems are these:

1) When I use QuickPwn (from a fresh 2.1 install on my iPod touch), it always freezes at the progress bar. I've done it 5-6 times.

2) When I try just using Pwnage, I can create my .ipsw file and when I option-click restore in iTunes it starts to load, then gives me either error 21 or 1601.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I think i'm having the same issue. posted it here: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/pwnage/...ml#post2739501

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    In my experience, every single time I restore any iphone to a custom firmware on my mac I have to go in to "user(your user name)/library/itunes/devicesupport/ then delete every file in the folder. Then open pwnage and create a new custom firmware.. follow the instructions to put the phone in DFU and finally restore to the newly built firmware file.

This worked perfectly

You've been thanked

13. The Following User Says Thank You to envision For This Useful Post:

Melloout (02-08-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Talking This is what I tried... and it worked...
    Hello all! I have finally gotten this thing to work! I'm not sure if the answer is out there multiple times or not, and if so, I apologize... I couldn't find the answer in one place so I thought I'd post it here... I have tried so many things, I was beginning to give up! First off, let me tell you that I have been jailbreaking iPhones since the very beginning... I have been getting the error 21 since I tried jailbreaking a new iPhone (meaning it has never been jailbroken) running firmware 2.2, using a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.5.6 installed. Also, I'm up to date with iTunes as well (8.02)

So, I was able to get this to work and I tried three different suggestions on this forum. I'm not sure which one worked, or if it was the combination of the three...

1) I restored my iPhone back to factory settings using the ispw in iTunes so that I would have a clean canvas to start with.

2) There is a problem getting into DFU mode in 10.5.6 so I used the automator work flow found here: iClarified - iPhone - How to Enable DFU Mode in Mac OS X 10.5.6
    (this did not restart for me like it said it would, so I just restarted when it was finished)

3) I used a powered USB hub. Many people suggested this as the USB hub uses it's own drivers so it may keep your computer from using drivers or something in the OS that prevents DFU mode.

Once I did those three things all was well. Just do the steps using Quickpwn or, as I did, Pwnage Tool 2.2.1... If you're using the latter, just create your custom restore file (ispw) and then, if you are connected using a USB hub, you should be able to get into DFU. Then just option restore using the new ispw. (You don't even have to rename the custom ispw)

Good luck!
    Keith

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keithharper For This Useful Post:

dsg (06-11-2009), fragholrok (01-28-2009)

LinkBacks (?)