+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GUIDE, Upgrade from Jailbroken 2.0.2 to Jailbroken 2.1 without losing ANYTHING!!

is a discussion within the

Pwnage

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
GUIDE, Upgrade from Jailbroken 2.0.2 to Jailbroken 2.1 without losing ANYTHING!! After discovering this for myself last night and countless messages after writing a very short guide here PWNAGETOOL &
    iPhone? More like MyPhone smeeshum's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation GUIDE, Upgrade from Jailbroken 2.0.2 to Jailbroken 2.1 without losing ANYTHING!!
    GUIDE, Upgrade from Jailbroken 2.0.2 to Jailbroken 2.1 without losing ANYTHING!!

After discovering this for myself last night and countless messages after writing a very short guide here PWNAGETOOL & QUICKPWN 2.1 I would like to say Hello and welcome to my guide on a successful jailbreak upgrade from 2.0.2 to 2.1 without losing any,

* Music
    * Settings
    * Hacked IPA Apps
    * Most importantly Cydia, Installer or SSH'd Apps

Follow this guide and you shall suceed.

What you need,

1.)A MAC (Sadly this guide will not work on a PC as yet until QuickPWN is available for 2.1 on PC)

2.) Itunes 8 Installed
    3.) Transmit or whatever you would rather use to SSH into the iPhone by Wifi.
    (Guides on how to SSH are available all over the net!)
    4.) Latest QuickPWN (available on this site)
    5.) Latest iPhone Firmware 2.1 (available on this site)
    6.) Lastest Modded MobileInstalation (available here SENDSPACE LINK)RAPIDSHARE LINK)LATEST FILES UPDATED 10.30pm GMT

STAGE 1
    Preperation

If you have MakeitMine on your iPhone use it to change your network name back to standard name.

If you have Categories use it to delete all your folders so all you Apps are back on the Springboard. (Do not worry we will put them back when we are finished.)

If you have ANY themes applied with WINTERBOARD, CUSTOMIZE or WBAPP remove them so your phone is BACK TO STANDARD SETTINGS.
    Perform a Sync with you Itunes so it is freshly synced to your settings.
    (YOU CAN BACKUP AT THIS POINT IF YOU WISH AND HAVE THE TIME)
    STAGE 2

UPGRADE TO 2.1

With your iPhone plugged into iTunes 8.0 on the main details page hold the Option Key and click UPGRADE to bring up a finder window and browse to where you downloaded the 2.1 Firmware.
    PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CLICK UPGRADE AND NOT RESTORE OR YOU WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE!!!
    THATS UPGRADE NOT RESTORE!!!!

Let iTunes run its course and you will then have 2.1 on your iPhone.

Please note that at present all you will have is standard apps and any official AppStore Apps showing on your springboard.
    You will still have all your Music, Settings, Texts etc.
    Any hacked IPA files will show but will not run, try them if you like.
    See?
    So... Lets try and fix that, also lets get all your old Cydia, Installer and SSh'd apps to show on your Springboard. As you can see by the detailed space bar at the bottom of your iTunes you still have the same amount of space so THE MYTH THAT IT WIPES YOU PHONE IS NOT TRUE!!
    STAGE 3

QUICKPWN

Ok so load the latest QuickPWN and let it do its thing using the 2.1 firmware you downloaded earlier.

Be patient as it takes a while!

The latest QuickPWN shows you what it is doing on your iPhones display so do not panic and DO NOT UNPLUG IT.

When it is finished you now have Cydia on your springboard!

Still no Unofficial apps though and the hacked IPA's still wont work.

STAGE 4

Run the Cydia app and install openSSH onto your iPhone and reboot it.

Use Transmit or whatever you would rather use to SSH into the iPhone by Wifi. Please remember if you changed your SSH password it will now be "alpine" again and if a warning comes up about the key has changed do not panic this is normal.

Once you have access into your iPhone via SSH you can change the password again using Terminal if you wish?

Now using SSH navigate to the VAR/STASH Folder

You will find 2 of each folder. One ie:-

/Applications
    &
    /Applications.kuhfh (these last 5 digits are random, YOURS WILL BE DIFFERENT)

What you need to do is move all the files inside the original /Applications folder that are apps from Cydia/Installer ie Cydia.app, Cycorder.app, Bossprefs.app etc to the new Applications.kuygk folder.
    DO NOT MOVE ANY OF THE NATIVE IPHONE APPS or you will brick your phone.

Do this for all the other folders in the STASH folder.

Then delete the old folders that dont have the 5 random letters/number (.khkug) at the end.

QUICK TIP TRICK

I found a quicker way than copying was to just delete the new folders with the 5 random keys at the end and rename the old ones so they have the same ending. THIS TRICK WILL NOT WORK FOR THE APPLICATIONS FOLDER THOUGH.
    NOW REBOOT THE IPHONE.

YOU WILL STILL NOT SEE THE CYDIA APPS ON THE SPRINGBOARD.

STAGE 5

SSH into the phone and browse to

System/Library/PrivateFrameworks

Double click the

MobileInstallation.framework
    folder

Replace the MobileInstallation file with the one you downloaded earlier

Now go back a folder and set the permisions of the MobileInstallation.framework folder to 775 RECURSIVELY!!

Thats 775!! If you dont do it it wont work!!!

THIS IS NOW THE FINAL STAGE

REBOOT AND RELAX AS YOU SEE ALL YOU OLD APPS APPEAR ON YOUR SPRINGBOARD!! TRY A HACKED IPA AND SEE THAT IT RUNS!!

THATS IT! Pretty simple really, I was so happy when I discovered this.

The only thing left to do is re-install Categories so it is the latest version, also Re-install Winterboard so it relocates your Themes Folder or it wont work.

Hope this helps.
    I have busted the MYTH

YOU CAN UPGRADE A JAIBROKEN iPHONE WITHOUT LOSING APPS AND SETTINGS. I HAVE DONE IT AND IT WORKS 100%

I HAVE HAD MANY SUCCESS STORIES, LOADS OF MESSAGES SAYING THANKS AND ASKING FOR HELP SO HERE YOU GO AND I HOPE THIS NOW HELPS YOU ALL!

Regards

SMEE

I ROCK, YOU SUCK
    Last edited by smeeshum; 09-14-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: UPDATED DOWNLOAD LINKS

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to smeeshum For This Useful Post:

Acadian (09-14-2008), aikinai (09-18-2008), CaptainChaos (09-14-2008), herculesp (10-05-2008), muaddib (09-28-2008), saifeeab (09-20-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the guide...

The link to the mobileinstallation2.1 file is no longer there is there another way we can get it?

Thanks

oh that sucks!! I'm not near my laptop at the mo, I'll get it uploaded as soon as I am. I checks the link when I posted as well!! Was only a couple of hours ago! Sorry folks

As promised i have updated the download for mobileinstalation 2.1
    Last edited by smeeshum; 09-14-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If only I have read this earlier... Oh well, I did it the hard way. lol. Hopefully this method will still work by the next update.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Thanks for this!

Hey I wanted to make an addition to your guide that I learned the hard way. In the process of moving the stash folders around, somehow I deleted my applications.xxxxx folder instead of my themes.xxxxx folder (no idea how). If this happens to someone, DONT PANIC. The phone will actually still boot, but most of your apps will be missing. Here is what I did:

There is a symbolic link (read: shortcut) to your applications.xxxxx folder in /var/Applications. In cyberduck, you can right click on the file and click "Info" to bring up the inspector. If you aren't using cyberduck, use whatever equivalent is in your program to bring up information about a file. There it should show where the link points to, which will be your applications.xxxxx folder. Copy the random letters that you need, then go into your stash and rename the /var/stash/Applications folder to add the characters from the symlink.

Reboot the phone, and your applications should be there again! You'll have to fix the layout however, as mine were scattered all about. Hope this helps someone!

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

great info m8

iPhone? More like MyPhone loocfa's Avatar
    Thanks

awesome
    tried it on my wifes iphone
    worked a treat,
    good looking out smeeshum
    3gs 16gb 4.0 pwnagetooled. macbook pro 2.33ghz snow leopard 10.6.3. imac 20" 2ghz snow leopard 10.6.3. and a mini 10 dell for those times when i have to use a pc.

Thanks
    wait what if we r unlocked though? this wouldnt work if i go from 2.0.1 to 2.1 and i needed to be unlocked/jailbroken would it?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Great tut! Gave you thanks even though I don't own a Mac. Posts like these are what makes this site what it is.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I tried updating to 2.1 and my phone rebooted with the apple logo but now the lines are spinning on the apple boot screen and it vibrates every minute or so, any ideas? Do i need to restore?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Anyone having the following problem: All my Apps are in the Applications folder, the one with 6 digits at the end but the springboard will only show some of the Apps icon's. All the apps I got from Cydia were working with icons showing and then I restored from backup and now only a select few showup while none of the AppStore icons are showing at all.

Any clue how to fix this? I've spent all Sunday on this.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe I missed it in the forums, but I have a jailbroken 2.0.1, do I have to
    upgrade to 2.0.2 first or can I go directly to 2.1?
    Itunes 8 only shows 2.0.2 as a new firmware available for me, 2.1 is not there.
    Also I unfortunately do not have a mac, but looking at the guide it looks like as long as we have a jb 2.1 fw I should be able to use this guide on windows, any thoughts on this??
    Thanks for the great work and a good guide!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 360boi View Post
    wait what if we r unlocked though? this wouldnt work if i go from 2.0.1 to 2.1 and i needed to be unlocked/jailbroken would it?
    any1 still wanna shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

ok answer to some of your questions,

If you click restore instead of upgrade none of this guide will work! Do not try it.

If you are unlocked and upgrade to 2.1 you should still be unlocked. If not boot neuter is avaialable in cydia.

If your phone is in a boot loop when u reboot u have not changed the permissions of mobileinstallation.framework to 775. If the iPhones wifi was left on you will find you can still ssh into it even though it won't start up properly and you can then fix this. The only thing that would stop it booting is a fault with this file. If you can't fix it replace it with your old one.

Lastly as of current this guide will not work for windows as it relys heavily on QuickPWN which isn't available for 2.1 and windows yet. When it is I will update the guide. You cannot use windows and itunes 8 to upgrade to a custom ipsw either, u can only restore so please don't try it.

Please stick the guide folks and then things will work. If you are unsure about something ask before you even attempt it. If you are still unsure I suggest you do not attempt this guide at all.

Smee

PS

If you already have categories installed, please pay attention to the preperation work and and remove EVERYTHING from categories folders before you upgrade or they will not appear afterwards.
    Last edited by smeeshum; 09-15-2008 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smeeshum For This Useful Post:

herculesp (10-05-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK, I did the dumb thing and didn't remove Categories at all before upgrading and QuickPwning.

What is the best approach to getting everything back?

Do I have to restore and reinstall :-( that would suck...

Thanks

no you'll be fine, reinstall categories, setup a folder and add all the apps that are not on the springboard. Then delete the folder and they should all reappear

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

my icons did not appear immediatley after completing all the steps and rebooting. furthermore, bossprefs stil has not appeared, my winterboard themes are not showing up, and cydia does not recognize any of the apps i have installed (does not know that they are installed). what happened and how do i fix it?

EDIT: I think the problem was I was unable to copy my cydia/installer apps into the new folder, because they already existed there, due to quickpwn. thats why cydia is not recognizing my installed apps. as for winterboard, it must have deleted my themes when i installed it from cydia, because i was unable to hit re-install because cydia did not recognize it was installed. instead, it did a fresh installation, creating a new themes directory. as for bossprefs not appearing, a simple ssh trip reveals that i must have forgotten to copy it.
    Last edited by twistedjedi; 09-15-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: possible solution?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@smeeshum - Thanks so much for this. It worked flawlessly. Sort of.

When I SSH'd in to var/stash, there were 2 of each folder as you mentioned but they BOTH had random 5 character extensions. I looked at the mod date of the folders, went into the older one, grabbed Terminal.app and Bossprefs.app and moved them into the newer one. I didn't delete any of the folders.

After exiting, all my apps, etc. worked perfectly (both legit and hacked) but I didn't have Bossprefs or Terminal. I figured - easy enough - I reinstalled them thru Cydia. Went into Terminal and it was fine. When I pressed Home to exit, I ended up at Favorites. That's where I'm stuck. I can go anywhere within the phone app itself but can't get back to the springboard. If I hold Power, all it does is lock the phone. If I unlock it, I'm back into Favorites.

What have I done & how can I undo it? Thanks man - I really appreciate the help. Cheers.

** Edit - forgot to mention, I SSH'd back in. Navigated to var/stash/applications and deleted the folders for Bossprefs.app and Terminal.app. Still no help. Still stuck on Favorites.

*** Edit 2 - okay, apparently the first time I did a hard reset (home / power) I didn't hold it long enough. Finally got a reboot. Took longer than usual but it looks like I'm back up. No Bossprefs or Terminal as is expected and everything seems to work. Before I go and install Bossprefs again - do you know what happened and how to avoid it in the future?

Also, can I safely delete whichever of the 2 folders (Apps / include / libexec / Ringtones / share / Wallpaper) is NOT being pointed to by the symlink at the root or /usr level? Thanks again.
    Last edited by badomen; 09-17-2008 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks

Hello, sorry I have not replied for a while been busy getting me a promotion at work!!

I have too found that Cydia does not record what is already installed this way but also found if you re-install stuff any modifications you have done stay.

Winterboard themes disappear as the Themes folder is not duplicated during a quickPWN. If you reinstall Winterboard, download a random theme from Cydia and then SSB back in you will find a new Themes folder to copy all your old themes into.

Regarding older folders than the ones created with the latest quickPWN yes you can delete them. Just make sure they are not the current ones.

Im so glad to see this has helped so many people. Hopefully windows users will be able to use this guide soon when they get their new quickPWN. There definitely seems to be more of them than us MAC users eh?

Smee

PS... BADOMEN

sometimes the phone may randomly crash, if it does just hold power and home for more than 10 sec's and it will reboot.

I have found that not only is my iPhone more stable with 2.1, it is faster and Cydia is much much better with no lock ups at all!!
    Last edited by smeeshum; 09-18-2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

22. The Following User Says Thank You to smeeshum For This Useful Post:

badomen (09-18-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks bro. Congrats on the promotion. Cheers.