+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GUIDE, Upgrade from Jailbroken 2.0.2 to Jailbroken 2.1 without losing ANYTHING!!

is a discussion within the

Pwnage

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
    iPhone? More like MyPhone mgmm1's Avatar
    Thanks

Originally Posted by candyg12l
    I'm having trouble here, I have Windows and I've completed up to the Quickpwn step. Quickpwn said my phone appears to have been pwned successfully and to wait for the phone to reboot. Well it's been stuck on a black screen with the apple logo on it and the loading indicator thingy and my phone is vibrating every 30 secs. Its been like this for 20 mins..Is this happening to anyone else? Am I supposed to wait longer or should I restore?
    This happened to me. I updated to iTunes 8.0 and purchased the upgrade to 2.1. In my case I didn't put my iTouch in DFU mode before proceeding with QuickPwn and jailbreaking.

I googled and found these procedures for placing your iPhone/iTouch in DFU mode.

DFU Mode Procedures
    1. Turn on your iPod (in my case it would only get as far as displaying the Apple logo
    2. Hold the power and home buttons down (the iPod will power off after 10 seconds, but keep holding those buttons down)
    3. After the iPod powers off, release the power button (but keep holding the home button down)
    4. After a couple more seconds, you should hear that magical “ding dong” that means the iPod is coming back alive, and that Windows has detected it. You may even see a little “New hardware” pop-up in Windows. It is now safe to release the home button, and your iPod is in DFU mode.
    5. Now iTunes will see it as a DFU’ed iPod and should ask you to automatically restore its firmware.
    6. iTunes has to download the new firmware, and it takes a while, so go make a sandwich.

I didn't get a sandwich but did do something for a few minutes. Once this procedure is done, you can begin following the QuickPwn instructions.

Hope this helps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Instead of comparing creation dates to determine which folder needs to be removed (since, as many have found, creation dates may be the same), navigate to the root level of your iPhone.

All of the symlinks to the folders in your var/stash folder are located either at the root level or up one level inside /usr. Select and get info (cmd-I in Cyberduck) on each of these folders and it will show you the target folder inside var/stash. Write these down - these are the active folders. All others are outdated and can either be deleted or renamed after you move essential content out of them (see OP). Hope this helps. Cheers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I used this guide on my iPhone, but I'm having some problems.

My gps is never able to locate me now , and the phone seems more unstable than before the FW upgrade.

Not saying it's the guide, but I have a question for all you experts:

Theoretically, if I backup my /var/stash directory then do a full restore to stock 2.1 FW, could I not then go into the new /var/stash and upload my non-native apps from before into the new applications folder, to keep all my old apps, etc?

Thanks
    Last edited by adamnur; 09-22-2008 at 07:56 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone elr0y7's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post
    I used this guide on my iPhone, but I'm having some problems.

My gps is never able to locate me now , and the phone seems more unstable than before the FW upgrade.

Not saying it's the guide, but I have a question for all you experts:

Theoretically, if I backup my /var/stash directory then do a full restore to stock 2.1 FW, could I not then go into the new /var/stash and upload my non-native apps from before into the new applications folder, to keep all my old apps, etc?

Thanks
    Well first of all you can't use any not-native apps (other than appstore apps) on stock firmware, it has to be jailbroken. Second of all you'll need to jailbreak your phone to download openSSH from Cydia in order to move files in and out of your phone (unless you know some other way to access the files on your phone). Third of all I don't think the not-native apps would show up on your phone without the new MobileInstallation file given here, not sure about this tho.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

Thanks

sorry, I guess I assumed that people would know I'd jailbreak first.

To rephrase, could I restore, then re-jailbreak from scratch. Following that, upload the mobileinstallation file again, and THEN could I re-upload the apps I backed up from before?

Will that work without replacing all the other /var/stash folders?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks

anyone know if ^ will work?

Green Apple
    Thanks

does this method work with iPhone FW 2.0.1 and iTunes 8.0.1 ?? please advise. thanks.

Yes, and yes.
    Last edited by neox; 10-27-2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: answered my own questions

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Has anyone tried this using Quickpwn 2.2 yet?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

would this work if you upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bear Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks

You guys need to RESTORE to 2.2 NOT UPGRADE. If you upgrade you will loose space and performance because of the way Cydia moves things around. I got back 1gig of space by restoring because the last two times I upgraded (mistake)

Follow this guide here: Don't pay any attention to the aptbackup process because that is the only thing that does not work.

How To Upgrade In iTunes | Sleepers.net

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post
    You guys need to RESTORE to 2.2 NOT UPGRADE. If you upgrade you will loose space and performance because of the way Cydia moves things around. I got back 1gig of space by restoring because the last two times I upgraded (mistake)

Follow this guide here: Don't pay any attention to the aptbackup process because that is the only thing that does not work.

How To Upgrade In iTunes | Sleepers.net
    Is this still the case even if you ssh in and delete all the unused legacy folders inside var/stash? Cheers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone smeeshum's Avatar
    Thanks

I can confirm this method still works. As long as you SSH in and tidy up the folders afterwards all is fine and you lose no space.
    I have it running successfully on 6 x iPhone 3G's since Yesterday.

Happy PWNING

Smee

13. The Following User Says Thank You to smeeshum For This Useful Post:

badomen (11-24-2008)

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123