+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stuck at pineapple after Pwn?? Read.....

is a discussion within the

Pwnage

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
For those of you that are getting stuck on the start-up image after pwning your phone, thus making you have to restore....try this: There is a glitch in which apps
    plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Default Stuck at pineapple after Pwn?? Read.....
    For those of you that are getting stuck on the start-up image after pwning your phone, thus making you have to restore....try this:

There is a glitch in which apps that are installed will cause this hangup. Restore your Iphone FIRST leaving everything off of it (no apps, etc.) and then proceed to pwn away.

So far this has fixed every hangup I have encountered.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

OneRing2Rule (08-31-2008), santiagodraco (08-31-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

YOU. Are amazing. Thank you!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ChaseSTi For This Useful Post:

OneRing2Rule (08-31-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseSTi View Post
    YOU. Are amazing. Thank you!
    Well.....ok, if you say so, LOL.

I am going to assume this helped you.

Yeah, you wanna know how long I messed with it to figure that one out....im not gonna say.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Green Apple
    Thanks

Haha I was about to throw my phone threw the window! Now after after.. do i set it up as a new phone in Itunes?? Or no??

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ChaseSTi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Doesnt matter.

If you choose "new phone" it will activate automatically and you will have to sync it to get your stuff back one. If you choose "restore from backup" it will activate it and sync at the same time.

**However, I have seen some issue with Itunes no working properly if you choose "restore from backup". For some reason Itunes thinks the phone is "new' everytime you plug it in after that. That issue is kinda hit and miss.

Soooooo, I say choose "new phone". It will activate, then you just have to sync.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm very frustrated that I'm on my 5th restore now due to the phone locking up at the pineapple after a certain point of re-installing my apps again. I agree that it must be certain apps that are corrupting something. I also noticed that it's best to Pwn the phone immediately after restoring the phone and making sure to pick treat as a new phone. (then dont sync anything at all, no aps, no music, no nothing). You then pwn the phone in it's vanilla state

For me the clues of how stable to phone is this:

-good) Both AppStore and Cydia installs complete quickly and finish up right away?
    (phone is stable)

-bad) Both AppStore and Cydia installs hang for a long time at the end?
    (phone will eventially never complete one of the installs, lockup, force you to shut it off, restarting never gets past pineapple)

The thing that causes my phone to start hanging on install apps, is when I let itunes mass install 40 apps all at once. I always get one or two that fail to install and itunes has some wierd error message with numbers. (dont know the numbers, should have wrote them down)

My next restore I'm going to only install apps one at a time through the iphone appstore. I'm expecting that to work, or I'm expecting to find the one app that causes the next install to hang again. If I find the bad apple, I'll post my findings on here!

Once I get everything working stable, I'm leaning towards disabling the itunes backup all together. I plan to use the App Backup in cydia to backup my wine log and other app data. I'll find another app to backup my text messages etc. My concacts/calendar in exchange so I'll never lose anything there. My hosted exchange service
    mail2web.com - Pick Up Your Email works great

UPDATE:
    Ok, so after pwn, I used appstore to install one app at a time. I want to see when/where apps start to hang during the install

myspace? (fast/done)
    urban spoon? (fast/done)
    Air Hockey? (fast/done)
    WeatherBug? (slight delay, hung at the end of install)
    The next 6 apps? (super long delay, takes 1 to 3 minutes to finish at the end, hangs but will eventually finish)

Ok, so.........
    I just uninstalled ALL apps one at a time.
    It must take awhile, because when I went back into the appstore to install urban spoon, it said it was already installed. I see an animated gear icon in the upper left, so the iphone is still obviously removing all the apps since the appstore wont even load. Waited longer, gear icon vanished and appstore finished loading up. Here we go again.

Urbanspoon? (fast/done)
    AP Mobile News? (fast/done)
    Weatherbug? (fast/done)
    Air Hocky? (fast/done)
    Facebook? (fast/done)

hmmm no slight dely or hangs yet, let's try some Cydia apps. I remember in the past once I notice appstore apps hang durring installs, Cydia apps will also hang during the install as well. Ok, launched Cydia, says "Reorganizing, Will Automatically Restrart When Done"

I wonder if the reorganizing affected anything, let's try an appstore app one more time before cydia.
    Loopt? (fast/done)

ok good cydia time........
    NES? (fast/done)
    uh oh, Cydia crashed, restarting Cydia
    Cycorder? (fast/done)
    Boss Pref? (fast/done)
    OpenSSH? (fast/done)
    ok good, let's try another appstore app
    AP Mobile News? (slight pause at the end/done)
    Myspace? (slight pause at the end/done)
    Pandora? (slight pause at the end/done)
    Remote? (slight pause at the end/done)

Ok so now things are acceptable, I'm not sure what causes the "slight pause" at the end of each new install now, but it's not more then 10 seconds. What makes the very first round of app installs lightening fast? I hope someone can figure out what is causing the hiccup. I plan to never let itunes install my apps though that's for sure. Hopefully itunes 8.0 and iphone 2.1 will address more of this weirdness.

Next test, let's uninstall Urbanspoon, poweroff the phone, restart, and reinstall Urban spoon. Since it was fast/done the first time, lets see how it goes the second time. Uh oh, it says Urban spoon is already intalled? Wow, even though I deleted urban spoon, it's back after I rebooted, WTF? Let's uninstall a second app, air hockey. Ok I'm seeing the animated Gear icon at the top again. Maybe apps dont get uninstalled right away? I'm going to wait for the gear to go away before launching the appstore again. Ok 2 minutes later phone is settled down once again no more gear. I launched appstore and urbanspoon let's me install once again.
    Urban Spoon? (slight pause/done)

Wow so looks like the key thing to learn here, is keep your eye out for the animated gear at the top of your iphone. Dont rush to launch appstore or cydia until the phone is completely settled down and ready with no gear icon. I'm assuming that the past 5 times I had a lockup were because I rushed into something, caused a lock, and rebooting corrupted file structures/bootup/etc. I'm going to take my sweet sweet time moving forward!
    Last edited by JazJon; 08-30-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JazJon For This Useful Post:

bhz1 (08-31-2008), h0nd0 (09-01-2008), OneRing2Rule (08-31-2008), santiagodraco (08-31-2008)

Thanks

Haha....good research.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i still get hung up in MiVtones from the MMI repo. after i install it my iphone goes ::splat:: does it work on this new 2.0.2 fw?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dsedapr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I havent tried it, but your not the first to say MiVtones makes their phone take a dump.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsedapr View Post
    i still get hung up in MiVtones from the MMI repo. after i install it my iphone goes ::splat:: does it work on this new 2.0.2 fw?
    I never used that app. Looks cool though.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSLuRkPqp7w]YouTube - MiVTones & Videostone- iPhone Video Ringtone FW 1.1.4 & 2.0[/ame]

I try not to install anything that overly mods/tweaks system stuff. I only use Cydia to install apps not available in the appstore. While it looks cool to have a video playing when someone calls you, I dont trust something being stable when it diggs that deep into my iphone.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JazJon For This Useful Post:

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    For those of you that are getting stuck on the start-up image after pwning your phone, thus making you have to restore....try this:

There is a glitch in which apps that are installed will cause this hangup. Restore your Iphone FIRST leaving everything off of it (no apps, etc.) and then proceed to pwn away.

So far this has fixed every hangup I have encountered.
    Cpjr, could you outline the steps you mean above? Or maybe verify I understand them correctly? I am also getting tired of having a locked up phone I need to restore (see my Cydia post) and if this works I'll be a happy camper. So, if I understand you correctly:

1. Put the phone in DFU mode and restore to factory settings.
    2. When the phone restarts iTunes asks if you want to restore from backup or treat as new phone... Do what here?
    3. PWN the phone. My intention here is to use the Winpwn 2.5 created firmware file...
    4. Restore from backup if I didn't from step 2? Or would I only be installing iTunes apps here?

Anyway, just hoping to determine the right process.

What I'm hoping to get to is a PWN'd phone that I can install jailbreak apps from Cydia or wherever without the phone locking up and requiring a freaking restore

22. The Following User Says Thank You to santiagodraco For This Useful Post:

Thanks

santiagodraco

1. yes
    2. pick treat as a new phone, the default choices wants you to restore from a backup
    3. I use QuickPwn.exe I extracted from the QuickPwnRC3.exe
    4. You wont be able to restore from a backup. You'll need to use the App Backup program in Cydia, and the YouAchrive.it itextuploader to save text messages

So be prepared to start over from vanilla / scratch (no data) and you'll be happy/stable. I'm very happy so far. The key is to NOT let itunes every mass install applications. I've disabled app syncing all together in my itunes.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JazJon For This Useful Post:

Green Apple
    Thanks

Gotcha. So your recommendation is to use the appstore on the phone itself to install all apps, not itunes.

It also sounds like you are saying that the lockup/data corruption problems are due to installing apps (Cydia based most likely) while other processes are still running on the phone, most likely iTunes (official) apps installs or clean ups?

Thanks.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to santiagodraco For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes pretty much, Something like that. Never try to install things too quicky one right after another, and always wait for the gear icon to go away. When the appstore wont load, something is busy in the background. Dont ever give up and force the iphone off via power/home button unless you absolutely have to.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to JazJon For This Useful Post:

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    Wow so looks like the key thing to learn here, is keep your eye out for the animated gear at the top of your iphone. Dont rush to launch appstore or cydia until the phone is completely settled down and ready with no gear icon. I'm assuming that the past 5 times I had a lockup were because I rushed into something, caused a lock, and rebooting corrupted file structures/bootup/etc. I'm going to take my sweet sweet time moving forward!
    One other thing. It seems to me that the key thing here is that Cydia should know when NOT to run installations, assuming it's possible that is. If it's consistently corrupting the phone when it attempts to install an app while another process has not finished then isn't that something it can detect and either delay or fail the install? I've seen the phone become corrupt so many times that it's certainly something replicable, and I'd assume avoidable if the cause is known.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to santiagodraco For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've come to the conclusion that all attempts thus far to fix the problem are voodoo science. The problems in the firmware and seems any phone can hang. My wife's virgin 2G v2.0.2 with just a handful of Appstore apps hung a few days back just synching to itunes. It hung uninstalling an app she removed from itunes. Sorry guys, this isn't a pwn or cydia issue proof positive from my perspective. My only advice is, similar to above, take each step with patience - avoid batch install / uninstall - reboot phone between app installs. Then again, the above might no more decrease crash chances as clicking your boots thrice will get a slot machine to payout...

Cheers

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Atreides For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the thing about mivtones is that it worked flawless on every other firmware jailbroken that I have had on my phone, as of right now I have no other issues. What I'm trying to see is if this is a global issue, as mivtones (the one that's making my phone crap out) is hosted on the mmi repository. Because if it is not compatible with this firmware other users will wait for an update in the program that corresponds to what firmware they're using that way the mmi repo man can change the details on the current mivtones cydia release stating that it's for 2.0.1 only

34. The Following User Says Thank You to dsedapr For This Useful Post:

Green Apple
    Thanks

Lol this whole thing brings back the nightmare memories of my days using a Palm Treo. From what I can see Apple is Treo 2.0, smarter, faster and just as buggy.

Let's hope they get the act together with the 2.1 update and we don't have to worry about a certain alignment of the stars forcing us to recover our phones ;D

Whelp, another frozen phone and hours of restore incomming.

Once again, even after seeming to be "clean" a Cydia app install has again ****** up the phone requiring another restore. This is seriously getting old.

Installed (well attempted to install) Insomnia, the script runs, complete button came up but watch out, the spinning gear is on up top.... yep corrupted iPhone.

Saurik this may or may not be your problem, but it needs looking at. I think I and others have spent as much time recovering as you've spent developing Cydia.

I have yet to have any install from the Installer app cause a problem. Even the same apps when I tried them on one of the other 20 times I've had a phone go to hell.
    Last edited by santiagodraco; 08-31-2008 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

36. The Following User Says Thank You to santiagodraco For This Useful Post:

Thanks

again, for now I suggest you stay away from the hard core apps that dig deep and override system stuff. The only thing I install are Flashlight, SwapCameraRooll, iTextUploader, Snature, Cycorder, Quik Flixwagon, videorecorder, BossPref, WifiToggle, and OpenSSH. I've avoided all the other temping tweaks for now.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to JazJon For This Useful Post:

iPhone? More like MyPhone OneRing2Rule's Avatar
    Thanks

Been reading this thread and others like it with GREAT interest. I've restored my phone about 10 times over the last few days, and have always seen Cydia kill my iphone. I'm installing three items, Snapture, SwapTunes, and Cycorder. That's it!

I'm about ready to throw this SOB out of the window.

I have NEVER had this much trouble. I've jailbroke probably fifteen to eighteen iphones for people (I work in a library, people know I'm the geek) and I've NEVER seen crap like this.

Okay, last time, here's my steps, using a 16gb 3G iphone:

1. Restore the phone, using a winpwn 2.5 ipsw that I KNOW is good. (custom logos and a 1.0G partition with Cydia and Installer) (looking good)
    2. Set up as a new phone. (looking good) Everything is great so far. I'm activated
    3. Before installing any apps or even syncing data, I'm starting up Cydia.
    4. Ah, frak, I was typing and it installed Ambiance, Holy Bible, Bubbles and 3-Tuple. I stopped the install.
    5. Okay, Cydia started and reorganized (whatever that is)
    6. Found my wireless and logged in.
    7. Loading Snapture. Spinning wheel in the upper bar. Okay, it's gone. MOMENT OF TRUTH. I hit the home button to get back to the main screen.
    8. It's THERE.
    9. Going for the other two. One. at. a. time.
    10. Cycorder: Good. Spinning wheel up top for a bit. Waiting for it to stop before hitting the "Return to cydia" button.
    11: SwapTunes: Good.
    12: Hit the home button. I see the icons. Spinning wheel up top on the home screen. Very nervous.
    13: I'm good.
    14: Starting up iTunes and stopping the sync right away.
    15: Okay, syncing contacts and info, ringtones. On apps, everything is deselected except the first four. Syncing.
    16: Still good. Hawt dayum.
    17: Re-syncing with one more app checked. (actually, this cleans up my iPhone a bit. had a lot of freebie junk.)
    18: Huh, just noticed that the ringtones didn't sync over. Weird, but might be because I'm manually managing music. No biggie.
    19: Put Clone Wars on the iPhone, just to load it a bit. Still good.

So, it looks like it's not just putting the apps on using AppStore, it's okay to use iTunes. It's just INSTALL ONE AT A TIME. OPEN UP YOUR IPHONE AND LET THE CIRCLE SPIN ON THE BAR UP TOP. When it's done, you can sync again. That's the frakking key.

Well, that and use Cydia first.

Later,

Okay, I think this might have been the most helpful thread I've read in a long time. Thanks everso to all. Thanks will be clicked shortly.

Best,

OneRing2Rule, going back to sleep.
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to OneRing2Rule For This Useful Post:

h0nd0 (09-01-2008)