+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How I fixed itunes errors 1601 and 6 (Winpwn 2.0.0.4)

is a discussion within the

Pwnage

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I spent 6 hours yesterday trying to get winpwn & 2.0.1 to work but after a roller coaster ride thinking I killed my iphone 2G I ended up reverting to
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How I fixed itunes errors 1601 and 6 (Winpwn 2.0.0.4)
    I spent 6 hours yesterday trying to get winpwn & 2.0.1 to work but after a roller coaster ride thinking I killed my iphone 2G I ended up reverting to 2.0. However, after doing more research on the web and digging around the log files I effortlessly got 2.0.1 to work perfectly. Here's my tips - please reply if this helped you

1) Problem: Winpwn crashing whilst creating ipw or itunes error 6
    The word on the web is that default the root partition is not the correct size. iPhoneUpdater log files suggest the restore is failing when trying to read from the newly created root partition.

My solution: Use 512MB as the root partition and not 500MB.

2) Problem: itunes error 1601

I suspect this is a communications problem between itunes and the iphone and is a time-out error.

My solution: Follow the usual winpwn instructions. When you shift-restore the iphone screen goes white and you will hear the windows hardware disconnect sound. Usually you will then just sit there and wait for the error 1601. What I did was to kill itunes (i.e. click iPwner button again) a few seconds after hearing the hardware disconnect sound. The iphone's screen stays white. Restart itunes and it will ask you to restore iphone (again). Shift-click restore and this time the iphone's screen should show the apple symbol and everything WORKS.

Troubleshooting

The best way of debugging this is you look at CDocuments and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Updater Logs and if the latest iPhoneUpdater text file is 7KB then that is a 1601 error and if it is ~570KB then it is a success.
    Last edited by ChineseBob; 08-10-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: add winpwn version

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ChineseBob For This Useful Post:

Alperovich (08-10-2008), Mp3Supply (08-11-2008), msbrownnn (08-11-2008), sethulhu (08-22-2008), SLapp (08-11-2008), Snify (05-07-2011), theSpaniard (08-12-2008), tjb0274 (08-10-2008)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

good bits of info. i had alot of trouble creating the ipsw file too. i kept trying a few different things, ended up making a file but it didn't have any boot/restore logo's

cydia/installer, no activation, no youtube fix, no baseband stuff. it worked. root partition 500mb

with this file i had no trouble restoring, it just takes SO fricken long. almost 2.5hrs to restore my settings/apps

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Tell me about it. I think my settings/apps is going to take a couple of hours!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Error 6, solved
    test on 2G/16GB
    FW: iPhone1,1_2.0.1_5B108_Restore_original.ipsw

Root-Partition minimal: 1000MB
    Application: What ever you like (everything is around 660MB), Including Cydia!!
    Custom Image: as you like it (does work too)
    Advanced: What ever you need (4.6,Unlock,... you name it)

Restore with itunes.. needs time.. about 15 minutes..
    Last edited by n4du; 08-10-2008 at 10:04 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to n4du For This Useful Post:

SLapp (08-11-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i tried ur fix for 1601 error but the problem is i don't see a white screen all i can see is data cable and itunes icon, i m so confused and have no idea what to do.. i am trying to reinstall itunes but i think i have bricked my iphone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psood21 View Post
    i tried ur fix for 1601 error but the problem is i don't see a white screen all i can see is data cable and itunes icon, i m so confused and have no idea what to do.. i am trying to reinstall itunes but i think i have bricked my iphone
    Data cable and itunes icon means you are not in DFU mode. Read the guides again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yeah i know buddy but the trouble is my computer shows that the iphone is connected in DFU mode. wht to do????

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Worked for me - thanks! I spent a fruitless afternoon yesterday trying to sort it, then found your post this morning. Happily using 2.01 now.

It's an odd situation, though, since it doesn't seem to happen to everyone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseBob View Post
    Tell me about it. I think my settings/apps is going to take a couple of hours!
    Bob how can you restore your apps after upgrading firmware? When you restore from an older phone in itunes it only restores contacts, calendar, settings etc doesnt it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    sorry to interrupt, but I was trying for many hours with winpwn but I got errors all the time.
    I know about DFU, downgrading etc. But I still couldn't get rid of that error messages.
    But now it works!!!
    ->using pwnage on a mac.
    Honestly speaking, I tried it once and it worked. Under Windows I tried everything and 2.0.1 wouldn't work properly.
    I can only suggest to try it on a mac. It is really easy.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wanted to come back and thank you. I took your advice on the 1000mb partition size and it worked. I tired like 3 times previously, and it wouldn't work. once I made that chance, everything was golden..

+1 to your thanks bank

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i unselected installer and i stopped getting error 6. upgrade worked fine after that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Good to see some more successes!

Apps can be restored from backup or transferred from itunes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SLapp's Avatar
    Thanks

I tryed pwning my iphone 3g 8g and got error 6 about 6 hours ago. Then i restored back to firmware 2.0.1 and went to the local fair cam back and read about the partition size set to 1000 so i checked installer,cydia and set the partition to 1006 and tryed again and worked great i have the family guy monkey as my boot and the monster pwning logo as restore and works great

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default It worked, thanks ChineseBob!
    I spent 6 hours yesterday trying to get winpwn & 2.0.1 to work but after a roller coaster ride thinking I killed my iphone 2G I ended up reverting to 2.0. However, after doing more research on the web and digging around the log files I effortlessly got 2.0.1 to work perfectly. Here's my tips - please reply if this helped you

1) Problem: Winpwn crashing whilst creating ipw or itunes error 6
    The word on the web is that default the root partition is not the correct size. iPhoneUpdater log files suggest the restore is failing when trying to read from the newly created root partition.

My solution: Use 512MB as the root partition and not 500MB.

2) Problem: itunes error 1601

I suspect this is a communications problem between itunes and the iphone and is a time-out error.

My solution: Follow the usual winpwn instructions. When you shift-restore the iphone screen goes white and you will hear the windows hardware disconnect sound. Usually you will then just sit there and wait for the error 1601. What I did was to kill itunes (i.e. click iPwner button again) a few seconds after hearing the hardware disconnect sound. The iphone's screen stays white. Restart itunes and it will ask you to restore iphone (again). Shift-click restore and this time the iphone's screen should show the apple symbol and everything WORKS.

Troubleshooting

The best way of debugging this is you look at Cocuments and Settings[username]Application DataApple ComputeriTunesiPhone Updater Logs and if the latest iPhoneUpdater text file is 7KB then that is a 1601 error and if it is ~570KB then it is a success.
    I have been getting the error 6 problem all weekend and it finally worked with your instructions. I think it was the partioning to 512MB, however I also installed Cydia, Installer and the You Tube Activation which with previously attempts I was trying one or two options at a time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Life Saving Advice
    Thanks Chinese Bob, your advice on restarting Itunes to avoid the 1601 error worked for me after innumerable other dead ends. Hallelujah!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

to get into DFU correctly

1. make sure ur phone is connected to the computer and is turned off.

2. hold the power button down for 2 SECONDS.

3. without letting go of the power button, hold the home button for 10 SECONDS

4. after the 10 seconds, let go of the power button and count from 30 backwards until ur computer recognizes ur phone in DFU mode.

if this not work, u are doing something wrong. if it does not work the 1st time u may have to try 2 or 3 more times. it has worked for me 3 times on 3 different phones. hope i helped anyone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Good to see some more successes!

Apps can be restored from backup or transferred from itunes.

Bob, it seems everyone is having success so Im goign to try this again tonight. Since I last posted I have installed a great collection of apps and organised my springboard just how I like it. I assume I will nto be able to restore my 1.1.4 apps when I update to 2.0.1 but in case I ever revert back to 1.1.4 can you tell me how to back up the apps? When I sync Itunes automatically creates a back up and when I restore from that the apps are not there. They're all 3rd party apps so im not sure i'll be able to use itunes will I?

thanks for your continued help

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

you rock man, this fix worked like a charm.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moviscop View Post
    you rock man, this fix worked like a charm.
    Excellent news. Thx

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM
  2. 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM