+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Re-JB with saved custom IPSW created by Snowbreeze 2.9.1? JB and mail apps crash now.

is a discussion within the

Other Methods

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Advice, please! I jailbroke my wife's iPhone 4 GSM ATT using snowbreeze 2.9.1 to iOS 5.0.1 and successfully installed ultrasnow. The phone is still functional, and was fully functional for
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Re-JB with saved custom IPSW created by Snowbreeze 2.9.1? JB and mail apps crash now.
    Advice, please!

I jailbroke my wife's iPhone 4 GSM ATT using snowbreeze 2.9.1 to iOS 5.0.1 and successfully installed ultrasnow. The phone is still functional, and was fully functional for many weeks, but suddenly the Apple mail app stopped showing it's UI, becoming completely non-functional. It is a 64GB model with barely 16GB in use. When I tried to use SBSettings to reboot, I discovered that crashed even running it from the icon. Cydia also starts and immediately crashes. As does Safari. All other apps work just fine. Installed Yahoo mail and Opera to regain functionality for my wife. SSH is not installed. The only other JB app installed is weather icon. After multiple reboots using the Apple method, the problem persists. The modem is still at 1.59, but since I'm in the US currently, I have no ability to check if the unlock is still active.

Other than asking what happened, my primary question is this:

I still have the custom IPSW created by snowbreeze. Can I just use that to jailbreak it again? I'm thinking I missed some critical Cydia update since my wife never checks the JB apps. I need to keep the phone unlocked, so I need to know if it is safe to use iTunes to install the custom IPSW. I've heard the 5.0.1 is no longer signed. Does that affect custom IPSW created for JB? I won't JB if I might need to do a normal iOS install that might update my modem.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

If you use Redsn0w &/or tiny umbrella to grab the shsh's off your phone & save them to your computer, you can create a signed custom firmware that'll still preserve the baseband your on.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have the SHSHs for 5.0.1 saved using tiny umbrella from before the jailbreak. I could do it again, I suppose, with a new version, now.

Is the custom firmware I installed originally using Snowbreeze also pre-signed? Can I just use the custom firmware again? Is there a way to tell? Or does Snowbreeze rely on iTunes to sign and Redsnow pre-signs?

@susty - thanks for your reply

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

Before apple stopped signing 5.0.1, you could just build a custom ipsw & let apple sign it, however now it's closed, you can't... So it's difficult to say whether the one you built is signed or isn't... Best bet would be to build another one & get shot of the old one, that way you know it's done & you can always Rely upon it

Another method you can try is Redsn0w... If you have the custom firmware already, redsn0w allows you to sign them, go into extras, shsh blobs & stitch then you can select your custom ipsw.

Hope that helps