+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading iOS on iPhone 3G

is a discussion within the

Other Methods

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hello everyone, I hope this is the right forum to post this question (please excuse me if not). I'm aware that I'm a bit outdated with my iPhone, but that's
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Upgrading iOS on iPhone 3G
    Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right forum to post this question (please excuse me if not).

I'm aware that I'm a bit outdated with my iPhone, but that's the best I can do so far.

I have a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G running iOS 3.0.

I want to update the iOS to the best possible option (and here please advise if 4.x is an option or if it will be awfully slow). And at the same time I don't want to lose the jailbreak and the unlock.

For what I've read, I believe I could update to a stock iOS 3.1.3, jailbreak using jailbreakme.com and unlock using ultrasn0w (jailbreakme.com apparently is compatible with 3.1.3 and ultrasn0w is compatible with baseband 05.12.01.

I haven't jailbroken the device myself, I bought it like this, and I'm a bit scared I could lose any info -- or the jailbreak and unlock itself, rendering my phone useless (I'm not in the US and the phone is from there).

So, I guess the questions here are:

1. should I download the official 3.1.3, install it with iTunes and then jailbreak and unlock as described?
    2. should I go any further than 3.1.3? If so, how far?

I would prefer not to use redsn0w or sn0wbreeze to cook the ipsw file, but I'm willing to follow the instructions if you tell me it's safe.

Thank you all very much
    Last edited by Xyberg; 11-13-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

You can restore to custom firmware of 4.1 created by Snowbreeze 2.1 or Pwnage tools 4.1.3 to preserve your baseband.
    Unlock with Ultrasn0w from Cydia after the restore.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Xyberg (11-15-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you.

Been doing some more research.

iOS 4.x doesn't seem to be an option, way too slow

And to restore to 3.1.3 apparently I don't need any blobs saved in Cydia, because it's a 3G and not a 3GS.

I've downloaded the 3.1.3 ipsw file and I will use redsn0w to update and then ultrasn0w to unlock. I've downloaded the 3.0 ipsw, apparently I will need it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK, I finally got it to work.

I'm posting this just in case anyone ever goes through the same (I doubt it at this point, but you never know).

I downloaded the ipsw files for 3.0, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3.

I upgraded via iTunes to 3.1.3.

Redsn0w 0.9.4 needs prior fw files to work, that's why I had 3.0 and 3.1.2.

The first time I went through all the process, my phone wouldn't get past the apple logo. Started to freak out and sweat.

After a good night's sleep, I tried to restore to 3.0 and 3.1.2 a couple of times. Couldn't get past the emergency calls only screen this time.

I restored to 3.1.3 again without the sim card in. Then I jailbroke with redsn0w again, pointing redsn0w to 3.1.2. Curiously, worked like a charm this time. Then I installed ultrasn0w from Cydia and got my carrier unlock.

I did lose all my contacts, notes, calendar, etc., and didn't have time to restore from iTunes yet. I'll do it tonight and hope I get everything back.

This thread can be CLOSED.