Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why is Spirit bad?

Default Why is Spirit bad?
    Check out the Dev-Team blog about PwnageToll and you'll see that you can upload customer firmware on some older devices as long as you didn't jailbreak with Spirit. Why was Spirit not a good choice?
    PS Never used spirit and just looking to gain some knowledge on it..

Basically, the spirit jailbreak is a userland jailbreak, which only jailbreaks the firmware its self. In order to restore your device to a custom firmware, u need a jailbreak that jailbreaks the bootrom, which is hardware not software (an actual chip inside your device). Therefore, if you jailbroke you phone with spirit on 3.1.3 but wanted to jailbreak with say sn0wbreeze to 4.0, you wont be able to, because you need to have previously jailbroken the bootrom. Not sure why tho, i just know this is how it works...
    Hope this clears something up for you

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukhellfire For This Useful Post:

Bengals (10-18-2010), RocketshipVirus (09-12-2010)

Hell yea! After doing this stuff for 2 years its all starting to make sense lol

Yeah same here... I think the next step for me, wud be to actually figure out how find an exploit, and implement it! Lol! Just dont quite know where to start tho.........

We should get some iPod touches off eBay cause I imagine that we would brick many a iOS trying to figure it out lol.

If possibe, you should downgrade to iOS 3.1.2, and then blackra1n it. If you have a MB Model or earlier, the downgrade process is simpler.

Ok, my first post here, be gentle. I have the 3G on 3.1.3 with the Spirit jailbreak. If I want to upgrade do I need to downgrade to 3.1.2 first, jb with blackra1n, and then update to 4.1 and jb with sn0wbreeze? Or is there a simpler process?

I don't know if it's relevant but f0recast tells me the following:

Baseband: 05.12.01
    Bootloader: 6.2
    Model: MB702

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by synappz; 09-22-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Downgrade to 3.1.2, jailbreak with blackra1n, snowbreeze the ipsw and then restore to it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to q3hardcore For This Useful Post:

synappz (09-23-2010)

dam this sux for me so hav to w8 til spirit comes out with new jb