+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FIDO charged me Data Usage, I only use WIFI on my iphone.

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
FIdo billed me $574.75 for 11.495 KB, funny thing is I only use my iphone with WIFI, and as far as I remember I blocked the data service a couple
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default FIDO charged me Data Usage, I only use WIFI on my iphone.
    FIdo billed me $574.75 for 11.495 KB, funny thing is I only use my iphone with WIFI, and as far as I remember I blocked the data service a couple of years a go, also I've had my iphone since Dec, so why charge me now? does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone b-ballstyle's Avatar
    Thanks

Im on fido and they never charge me for data... I dont use it! I just use my wifi at home and never had problems with this

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b-ballstyle View Post
    Im on fido and they never charge me for data... I dont use it! I just use my wifi at home and never had problems with this
    Same here man, I dont really know what is this about, Im gonna call them tomorrow morning and I'll post later on tomorrow.

Thanks

Keep us updated. I'm on Fido and this is scary.
    iPhone FW 2.2.1, Jailbroken and Unlocked!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I was charged 120 dollars of data and I only used WIFI BUT I remember I install swirlymms app and set up my edge for Fido but the app never worked and I forgot to disable the EDGE settings and play 1 song with IRadio untill I realized It was using edge(2 mb).
    Make sure you go to your edge settins and disable edge or just to be
    100 % ,delete the last 1 or 2 letters of your APN under settins/general/network/edge.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisperro View Post
    I was charged 120 dollars of data and I only used WIFI BUT I remember I install swirlymms app and set up my edge for Fido but the app never worked and I forgot to disable the EDGE settings and play 1 song with IRadio untill I realized It was using edge(2 mb).
    Make sure you go to your edge settins and disable edge or just to be
    100 % ,delete the last 1 or 2 letters of your APN under settins/general/network/edge.
    Hey thanks first of all, my EDGE its not even set up, I went there and is all blank there is nothing on it, so I dont think it was that..my swirlymms is working but I only used it a couple of times, so dont think that would cost me that much money..
    Last edited by diazjoaquin; 03-31-2008 at 09:33 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

that is a crapload for data charges. i feel bad for you guys since in the US our data in unlimited

Thanks

Make sure you tell them that you had disable your edge for this very same reason.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisperro View Post
    Make sure you tell them that you had disable your edge for this very same reason.
    Ok man thank you, I will

Ok, guys, I just spoke to a FIDO supervisor,, they argue that the data usage was legit and after 20 minutes talking to the guy he agreed to give me only %25 off the original charge, Im so freaging mad, anyways for all of you out there, just call fido and ask them to put a block on your account for the fido network connection, for some reason one of the apps I installed its connection trough fido, I think is swirlyshit.
    Last edited by diazjoaquin; 04-01-2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Dude,

$574.75 for 11.495 KB
    That works out to $50 per megabyte !!!!

THAT IS HUGE !!!!!

In South Africa we get charged R2 (ZAR) / MB, which works out to be about 26c (US) / MB which is quite steep for us!

So $50 per megabyte !!!!!

THAT IS HUGE !!!!!

It would cost me about R23 ($3.05) to download the same amount of data as you did!

P.S. Why is with all of those $25 for unlimited data plans? Why don't you get one of those? ****, after only 500 KB of data you would break even!!! ;-)
    Last edited by WyldPhoenix; 04-01-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks

Default heres my good deed for the day
    listen it is your edge even though it is blank in your settings when ever you lose wifi for even just a second your iphone automatically tries edge but in most countries you have gprs so it will not have to have anything under edge settings because gprs does not require these settings. rather what you need to do is go into installer and find bossprefs and download it. next find it on your springoard open it and switch off edge and let that be it never touch boss prefs again once its set and you will have nothing to worry about.

(by the way im on vodafone in italy and i had the same problem but this fixed it and now i dont lose all my minutes in just a couple of hours.)
    16gb iPhone4 black

If I helped you in anyway please hit thank you.

Thanks

where are these alleged EDGE settings, i want to make sure mine is crippled, im on Rogers..

is it just under settings..> general?

oh okay settings...general...network...edge and mine has a blank APN, username and Password so im good, correct?
    Last edited by gpost2; 04-04-2008 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello All:
    I am on Rogers (canda) and was wondering how I can change the "ROGERS" logo. I've tried the tutorial and it's not working, I have th eporper size and type of image but it still does not work. I have 1.1.4 on the phone and can notseem to get it working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpankows View Post
    Hello All:
    I am on Rogers (canda) and was wondering how I can change the "ROGERS" logo. I've tried the tutorial and it's not working, I have th eporper size and type of image but it still does not work. I have 1.1.4 on the phone and can notseem to get it working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Use MIM (Make it Mine) its very simple you just write whatever you want, right now i have it saying AT&T because im on Rogers and rogers never fitted so i thought i'd be classy and keep it as at&t :P
    and MIM should be in the installer under utilities

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gpost2 For This Useful Post:

rpankows (04-06-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you gpost2. It worked like magic. I just have one more question please, can I actually put an image there instead of the writing?

Thanks,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpankows View Post
    Thank you gpost2. It worked like magic. I just have one more question please, can I actually put an image there instead of the writing?
    Hey if you use customize you can use any logos you want. Here's how I did it.

Installed 114 Compatibility patch. ( skip this if your on 113)
    Here:
    http://repo.ispazio.net

Installed the regular version Customize 1.21, reboot system, make sure it runs.Then uninstall.Next.

Installed Customize 1.21 custom(2) from repo below. Reboot system, make sure it runs.
    http://ipodtouched.net/repo.xml
    Customize 1.1.3 custom version (Its now called Modded Customize 1.0)

Note, most sources in the repository still install the images into root instead of mobile.
    You will still have to move everything from:

* /private/var/root/Library/Customize to
    * /private/var/mobile/Library/Customize and
    * /private/var/root/Library/DockSwap to
    * /private/var/mobile/Library/DockSwap

Also, the Carrier Images DO work. However the option to change it will not show up until you add in a
    Default_CARRIER_IPOD.png and a FSO_CARRIER_IPOD.png into
    /System/Library/CoreServices.SpringBoard.app To do this,

1. download a package that includes carrier images.
    2. Rename a matching pair of images to those named above and
    3. place them into the said folder.

I also put Default_CARRIER_IPOD.png and a FSO_CARRIER_IPOD.png in
    /system/library/carrier bundles/unknown bundle.

Then used MIM app (makeitmine) changed carrier text to Ipod and voila.
    I can now change my carrier logos within Customize 1.21 custom.

I'm on Fido in Canada, this is what I did.

Yes I too had Fido charge me 49 bucks for data charges. I usually have the edge settings blank. But one time my friend wanted to try it out with his sim card since it was demo line. But I forgot to change the settings back to blank once I put my sim back. I too use only wifi but somehow like the other poster mentioned its still sends data. I turned it off only 1 1/2 day later. Didn't think anything would charge, but, blammmmmm. 49 bucks. sux
    I had spoken to Fido rep but he was rude & condescending. A superivisor then confirmed I was outta luck and had to pay.
    I had them deactivate my internet feature for edge. Just to make sure no more charges.
    Be careful. @ 5 cents/kb it adds up fast.
    Cdn data plans suck.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 04-07-2008 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Fido charged me 4051.00$ for internet usage $=, i thought wi-fi was freee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swpelchat View Post
    listen it is your edge even though it is blank in your settings when ever you lose wifi for even just a second your iphone automatically tries edge but in most countries you have gprs so it will not have to have anything under edge settings because gprs does not require these settings. rather what you need to do is go into installer and find bossprefs and download it. next find it on your springoard open it and switch off edge and let that be it never touch boss prefs again once its set and you will have nothing to worry about.

(by the way im on vodafone in italy and i had the same problem but this fixed it and now i dont lose all my minutes in just a couple of hours.)
    I don't know if this is exactly true. I am on Fido and wanted to try out edge and without calling Fido and asking for the APN information nothing worked (read: APN was blank). It just says unable to connect to EDGE. So I'm not sure why someone would get charged if they didn't have any APN information. I"m sorry to hear that people have been having problems with Fido CS...when I once got a supervisor that told me I was SOL I asked for a manager and ended up getting charged nothing...mostly because I complained about the CS and supervisor being rude to me (told them to go to the tapes since they "record" everything). I find if you are calm and explain how ridiculous it is for getting charged for something you need to activate with them over the phone (that is what I was told by Fido and on their website it states that if you want to surf the internet...blah blah blah you need to go to their website on your phone or call them to activate it). I find being knowledgable (or seeming so) and calm usually gets you more stuff. Obviously it is only my experience and obviously it doesn't work for everyone (as I can read in this forum). I'm sorry to hear about the bad data charges. If you do want edge occationally I signed up for a new $18 plan that gives me 12MB of Edge (good for when I'm on the road and need to check something), Call display, call answer, 2500 text messages, who called and a bunch of other stuff. It's not a pkg on their website. It was on my bill and I called and asked for it. Seems pretty good sine Call display and Call answer is already $9 or $11 and 50 texts are $3. Just incase anyone is interested also when you get that pkg you get 4 months unlimited surfing (works with my iphone cuz I haven't been charged anything for th 100MB i downloaded last month )

Thanks

well on Customize apparently you can but i used MIM and just changed it to AT&T, and then went into customize and it wont change it to an image, but maybe if you uninstall MIM then customize will do the image thing im not sure.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballerbains View Post
    Fido charged me 4051.00$ for internet usage $=, i thought wi-fi was freee
    Thats crazy, I didn't get charge that much, this people are insane I mean, its not our fault your phone connects trough their network, apparently is your sim card that has not been blocked for data usage at least thats what they said to me.