+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 6 APN change for Straighttalk?

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
When I upgrade to iOS6? I've got no problem editing on 5.1.1. I just use tether me. I'm trying to get the apn edited on 6
    Thanks
    When I upgrade to iOS6? I've got no problem editing on 5.1.1. I just use tether me. I'm trying to get the apn edited on 6

Thanks
    Thanked 9,527 Times in 5,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jtsdad View Post
    Don't think it's gonna happen from what I have found. Good luck.
    Me, I'd rather have a jailbreak and use my phone the way I want to then move up in OS for features and use it Apples' way. Just sayin'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

jtsdad (09-16-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Don't think it's gonna happen from what I have found. Good luck.
    Me, I'd rather have a jailbreak and use my phone the way I want to then move up in OS for features and use it Apples' way. Just sayin'
    I hear ya... Its just the phone nerd in me to try every new OS. I cant help it!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,527 Times in 5,846 Posts

I hear ya, I moved up to GM 6.0 too, for a day, then back down to 5.1.1
    Had to check it out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What a few people have done is change the MMS Settings via the sim swap method on iOS5 and then upgrade to iOS6 GM BUT i don't know if this keeps the MMS Settings.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

MMS settings won't stick if you SIM swap in iOS6. It might be possible to do the SIM swap trick in 5.x and update or use iBackupBot and transfer them that way.

The mobileconfig file I posted will never enable MMS, since that is not an option that can be set up using a mobileconfig (Apple limitation). Unfortunate, i know, but at least it allows for data use for non-MMS use.

ADDENDUM: From what I can tell, the iBackupBot method doesn't work upon reboot, so it's seemingly moot until CommCenterClassic patches are made. Who knows when that will happen.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 09-18-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Green Apple
    Thanks

ive tried every way i can think of (and I couple I didnt think of) and no result. The APN (data) settings stick but the MMS gets blocked somehow. Ive looked for the culprit that makes the switch with no success (so far).
    systemconfiguration/preferences.plist, mms_override, carrierbundles, carrier settings, and 50 or so more files have been oogled. (My place is covered in printouts and i ran out of highlight markers).
    On a planet covered with people using the iphone on unofficial networks, theres got to be somebody else hitting this subject too that might find the solution. I also believe that as soon the JB peeps releases a new jailbreak, a solution might surface!
    Last edited by MaxxUS; 09-19-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Solved it, even if its an ugly way, I got Zephyr, TetherMe and Fake Operator working so far.
    TetherMe totally fixed the APN and MMS problem on iOS 6 (final).

I jailbroke using Redsnow dev4 and then installed Cydia the bad way (no judgement please) after that TetherMe worked to change my APN and MMS.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MaxxUS For This Useful Post:

matrael (09-22-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default MSS setting for straighttalk
    Mobile Carrier Settings for AT&T MVNO United States
    we should contact this sites admin to change this setting to :
    ? Cellular Data
    ? APN: att.mvno
    ? Username: leave this field blank
    ? Password: leave this field blank
    ? MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    ? MMS Proxy: mms2.tracfone.com:80
    ? MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
    ? MMS UA Prof URL: do not make any changes to this field

otherwise iphone configuration utility; sim swap does not work on ios.
    If you have a unlocked iphone then request T-mobile sim card from straight talk(so we can mess arround with apn) and change it right away.

Thanks
    I got it! With the direction of MaxxUS, I was able to get it up and running! redsn0w, Cydia and Tetherme is the answer!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jtsdad For This Useful Post:

matrael (09-22-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jtsdad View Post
    I got it! With the direction of MaxxUS, I was able to get it up and running! redsn0w, Cydia and Tetherme is the answer!
    How were you able to install TetherMe? When I try to grab it from Cydia, I'm not able to download it because it says "This product is not supported on your iOS version." Is there a workaround?

EDIT: TetherMe has been updated to 2.4-1 and it now supports iOS 6. I was able to successfully jailbreak my iPhone 4, install Cydia, install TetherMe, and then change my settings from "phone" to what's listed elsewhere.
    Last edited by matrael; 10-31-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Got MMS to work

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I made a STEP BY STEP guide on how to get Data and MMS working on straight talk
    I was super frustrated after the iOS 6 update to my iPhone 4 when i realized that MMS and Data stopped working. I removed my Jailbreak prior to upgrading and didn't feel like doing the whole process of reverting back to prior iOS so I came up with a way for non-jailbroken iPhones to get data and MMS working on straight talk iPhone 4. It's pretty much just an updated version of the original "SIM swap method" that WILL work as long as you do it correctly. Since I've always relied on the help from forums in the past, I figured - now I have something to contribute so I will!

I made a step by step guide with screenshots: How to get Data and MMS working on Straight Talk iPhone 4 / iPhone 4S on iOS 6 Updated Sim Swap Method

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

A big update for TETHERME tonight. Now supports IOS 6 I'd still like to be able to edit the comm ceter and carrier plist like you could for ios 4 thats one of the reasons I have iPhone is to play with it .. I hate to think that there might be an update coming soon since there was
    Some issues with 6

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Using a signed mobileconfig with the proxy and APN settings worked for me on my iPhone 4 on 6.0GM. I will probably try the SIM swap method, just for kicks using my VZW LTE SIM to see if the MMS settings will stick as well.

So, at least there is one option that does work for us ST/Net10 BOYD users out there. Now how about some BYOD nanoSIMs, America Movil...

ADDENDUM: Here is a copy of the mobileconfig I use. I made it myself for use on my iPad with my ST SIM (prepaid VZW broadband sucks on coverage in rural areas at times). Use a 'Save Link As' or similar option to download it and remove the .txt from the end of the filename. It should work.
    Attachment 612012
    how do you download it and remove the .txt from the end of the file name? I'm very new to this.

Thanks

I just did an iPhone 4 today on 6.0.1 used unlockit to get data settings and then sim swap to get mms. The phone does need to be unlocked for the sime swap to work. For those who don't know the process:

insert tmo sim, go into settings and to cellular data, open cellular data then remove sim card. It will take you back one screen but the data setting will still be available once you install your ST sim. Go in and change the settings then exit out. You should be good to go!

BTW...you can get a factory unlock on ebay for under $10

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I need help. my hubby bought an 'unlocked' iphone 3 off ebay. got it turned on with straight talk t-mobile sim. got the apn changed, phone works. calls, email, facebook, messaging. but no mms and when he tries to go to app store, says, ' update ios'. how do i update the ios?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If the i3g is jailbroken you can try EditApn @Cydia it's free this will get MMS to work Also you might have uninstall any certificate you have installed for data but if it's T-mobile sim didnt it have the Cellular Data Network in setting's ???

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12