+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4 Straight talk NO SERVICE

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi i bought an at&t locked iphone 4. The firmware is 5.1.1, baseband is 4.12.01. I read online that straighttalk works for at&t locked phones, without a jailbreak or anything.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Iphone 4 Straight talk NO SERVICE
    Hi i bought an at&t locked iphone 4. The firmware is 5.1.1, baseband is 4.12.01. I read online that straighttalk works for at&t locked phones, without a jailbreak or anything. So i went out and bought one off craigslist. I ordered the sim caard, got it activated, however the phone will not connect to a tower. It says searching for a few minutes, and then "no service". I called tech support, and after long conversations spanning over 2 days, they finally said i need a fully unlocked iphone... Well everywehre else i have read says that this is not needed. So does anyone have any thoughts or troubleshooting tips?

it is not jailbroken, and i know an unlock is pretty much impossible atm with this baseband. Let me know, thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Try buying a gevey sim. You can get one off eBay. Or jailbreak your pone and put an iPad baseband on it and download ultrasn0w.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i heard gevey sims do not work now? and also i was sure straight talk does not need an at&t iphone to be jailbroken. Also can you explain this baseband technique you are referring to?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Shouldn't need an unlocked phone. Maybe jailbroken but not unlocked. I went from t-mobile (unlocked via gevey) to ST with no problems. I uninstalled the gevey software and Ultrasn0w and ST works fine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's possible that your iphone is foreign carrier. Straight Talk runs Att towers. Either you are in a rural area, or your iphone is not att USA, or your iphone sim reader is acting up. Its one of the 3. Just got to figure out which one it is.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There are two types of sim cards that they send one. One is capable of unlocking locked phones and using whatever carrier the phone is designed for basically. The sim card need has a P in the serial number. If the card does not have the P it will not work and you need to request a new card from straight talk.

At least this was my experience roughly 7-9 months ago. I don't believe they had it set up to where you could just buy the s cards then.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by venom157 View Post
    There are two types of sim cards that they send one. One is capable of unlocking locked phones and using whatever carrier the phone is designed for basically. The sim card need has a P in the serial number. If the card does not have the P it will not work and you need to request a new card from straight talk.

At least this was my experience roughly 7-9 months ago. I don't believe they had it set up to where you could just buy the s cards then.
    Clarification: was it a P versus S in the SIM serial number, or in the product ID number? I have a SIM serial number that is nothing but 20 digits. Above that, in a box that says "This is NOT your SIM serial number," there is a bar code and this string: TF64PSIMC4MB. So my serial number doesn't have a P or an S, and my product ID has both! Help!

Thanks for your advice,

Kurt

Thanks
    Straighttalk SIMs purchased thru the "Bring Your Own Phone" program at straighttalksim.com give u two choices. T-Mo compatible or AT&T compatible. I got the AT&T one and have had no issues at all with my 3Gs. They cost $15.00 (service not included). You cannot purchase them at WalMart