+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ATT rep told me

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
i went to get headphones, (with mic built in) already not happy about spending 30 dollars on that. then i go to check out, the rep asks for my number
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Thumbs down ATT rep told me
    i went to get headphones, (with mic built in) already not happy about spending 30 dollars on that.

then i go to check out, the rep asks for my number and immediately notices its not ATT.

so he asks if i hacked it, scolded me, then told me that apple and ATT are going to do some sort of update that is going to wipe us out supposedly, i asked if he was talking about the 1.1.1 update and he said there was another one, i said my itunes computer isnt connected to the interent (dialup) and he said they will do it (over the air).

i took him for an idiot and disregarded this , but im now concerned.
    is it possible for them to do this?(phone downloading in background without my attention to screw me?)
    is it possible for itunes to do a backend patch download and put it on my ipod when im not paying attention?
    T-mobile has stolen my wallet's heart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pouncer11 View Post
    i went to get headphones, (with mic built in) already not happy about spending 30 dollars on that.

then i go to check out, the rep asks for my number and immediately notices its not ATT.

so he asks if i hacked it, scolded me, then told me that apple and ATT are going to do some sort of update that is going to wipe us out supposedly, i asked if he was talking about the 1.1.1 update and he said there was another one, i said my itunes computer isnt connected to the interent (dialup) and he said they will do it (over the air).

i took him for an idiot and disregarded this , but im now concerned.
    is it possible for them to do this?(phone downloading in background without my attention to screw me?)
    is it possible for itunes to do a backend patch download and put it on my ipod when im not paying attention?
    Only YOUR carrier can affect the programming of your cellphone over the air. You were right to take him for a dweeb, he's just being self righteous and trying to sound all superior.

As for Itunes doing a backend patch, Apple has never pulled that kind of thing in the past. Just be sure to set the updates to manual instead of automatic.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It is possible for your carrier to remove your phone from the network, but they cannot update the firmware over the air. Because apple has a contract with ATT, they can contact other carriers such as t-mobile, sprint, whoever, and say, if the following IMEI numbers are being used on your network, you must discontinue before blah blah legal action blah. As for the idiot at ATT that said that, ATT is in the dark as much as we are when it comes to future or current apple plans.
    Really?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    It is possible for your carrier to remove your phone from the network, but they cannot update the firmware over the air. Because apple has a contract with ATT, they can contact other carriers such as t-mobile, sprint, whoever, and say, if the following IMEI numbers are being used on your network, you must discontinue before blah blah legal action blah. As for the idiot at ATT that said that, ATT is in the dark as much as we are when it comes to future or current apple plans.
    Actually, as it is not illegal to unlock a cellphone, AT&T can do no such thing.

And for over the air programming, I wasn't hinting at updating firmware; however working for a wireless company, I can say they can do much more than cut you off the network. Your carrier can change your phone number, change your SMS server number, enable or disable services such as Call Waiting, Call Forwarding etc, trace your calls, reset your phone... all without your knowledge.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Actually, as it is not illegal to unlock a cellphone, AT&T can do no such thing.

And for over the air programming, I wasn't hinting at updating firmware; however working for a wireless company, I can say they can do much more than cut you off the network. Your carrier can change your phone number, change your SMS server number, enable or disable services such as Call Waiting, Call Forwarding etc, trace your calls, reset your phone... all without your knowledge.
    didn't say ATT, funny how everyone points the finger at ATT. Its apple folks, 100%. Used to work for t-mobile as well and know all thats possible. But the iphone is different and cannot be reset by ATT. ATT cannot do much of anything with it as a phone, they can only alter settings having to do with the account. Either way, Apple can certainly report IMEI numbers and attempt to have them removed from other networks, as they already will not support you unless you are with ATT
    Really?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    didn't say ATT, funny how everyone points the finger at ATT. Its apple folks, 100%. Used to work for t-mobile as well and know all thats possible. But the iphone is different and cannot be reset by ATT. ATT cannot do much of anything with it as a phone, they can only alter settings having to do with the account. Either way, Apple can certainly report IMEI numbers and attempt to have them removed from other networks, as they already will not support you unless you are with ATT
    Again, it is not illegal to unlock a phone, nor is it illegal to purchase an iPhone through a source other than Apple or AT&T. So what exactly is Apple going to tell the Wireless company to do? They would be laughed at.

Also, working for T-mobile, you would know that wireless companies cannot trace a cellphone from its IMEI (unless its is that carriers IMEI), only by the SIM. I'm using my iPhone with Rogers, they don't know it. I simply took my existing SIM, registered under a Treo, and stuck it in my iPhone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

LOL. the guys at att is just trying to scare you, and make u think of getting att.

DON'T LISTEN TO HIM! if fact, u should have told him u don't have a phone# u just want the damn headphone and to STFU

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah how are thay going to zapp your iphone through an OTA ..thats imposs..to produce an OTA package through another carrier..if at worst it would be through att only.but why would the kick you to the curb if your with att ..retarted....that dude was blowing more smoke than a cigar........i wish people would try crap that that with me.i would shootem down like a duck...and by the way most reps are retarded .....i mean retarded...

Green Apple
    Thanks

well I told him I was on dialup with auto update off and that kinda shut him up then he gave me the att zap bs, I just told him to give me the overpriced headphones and let me leave. He also tried to say tmobile uses atts edge which is acrock of ****

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

lol@ att
     Think Different

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    let me get the address so i can go **** on his face lmao!!! what a nub, don't believe what he said, there is no way they can do that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Now..
    Since we're running code on 1.1.1 as soon as the new unlock is out, I'm going to my AT&T store to buy some accessory. I REALLY hope I get a jackass at the counter, I wish I got that guy so bad...

Yeah I'm spoiling for a fight with one of these guys.

Green Apple
    Thanks

well i kinda want a case for my phone, so i think i might buy one from them jsut to screw with them because ive been in a few times about dsl and for iphone stuff. bought my iphone from apple but theyre still nosey, might have to fake a return or something lulz

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Just Like everyone is saying! He is just jelous ! lol ! IF your useing T-mobile you got nothing to worry about .
    Apple & At&t can do whatever they want but can NEVER send you a OTA if you are useing a T-mobile Sim !! ! Never mind that Jerk !

Thanks

I've got a tip for you.
    Most of the time, AT&T workers don't know ANY thing you don't about the iPhone.