+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Straight Talk "you are not subscribed to a cellular data service" NO DATA FIX

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey Guys, Just Trying to help the next guy here. I could not get Data no matter what I did. Keep in mind that I been jailbreaking and unlocking iPhones
    Thanks

Thumbs up Straight Talk "you are not subscribed to a cellular data service" NO DATA FIX
    Hey Guys, Just Trying to help the next guy here. I could not get Data no matter what I did. Keep in mind that I been jailbreaking and unlocking iPhones since geohot made the 1st hardware unlock so I know what i'm doing more or less. Anyways I could not get Data even after the profile was installed from unlockit and apn settings where correct. I kept getting the "you are not subscribed to a cellular data service" error. That was actually what was wrong lol. Straight Talk did not activate Data. Since I ported the number from Tmobile the number had to get provisioned or something. I contacted them through their facebook support and let them know that i had the message "you are not subscribed to a cellular data service" and that the number needs to get provisioned. A few hours later I got an email saying there where changes to my account and i should restart. After that Data was working. here was there response.

Hi XXXXX,

We're sorry for this issue. Changes have been made on your account. Please turn your phone off and on to update. Once it is back on, try to access the phone's browser and let us know what happens. Thank you.

Thank you for being our customer. To respond, please reply to this email.

Jhonally
    Straight Talk | Facebook

This is using their BYOP ATT micro sim on iPhone4 ios 5.1 tethered jailbreak 01.59.00 baseband (not unlocked, no need with the att sim)

Hope this helps someone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to woowoodengy For This Useful Post:

EdwardHyde (04-06-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i was getting the same message now it works thanks

Thanks

no prob. glad I can help. I was going crazy thinking it was me but it was them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sirbebe's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you get free data or do you need a plan that includes data..
    Thanks
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

Thanks

Straight Talk has a plan $45 per month for unlimited talk, text & data. The data is not really unlimited and has a soft cap of 2gigs per month but its just a soft cap meaning that if you go over you dont get charged but get a call.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sirbebe's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for letting me know. I'm on red pocket pocket paying 60 but I can't complaint even my pic messaging work and the roll over I been receiving in data is awesome. On that note when that ends I will probably be jumping ship ! Lol
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

A GREAT Big Thank You to Jhonally. I was in the same exact situation. I purchased a used iPhone 4 and a $45 ST Unlimited Sim card. I was originally with ST and had a Samsung phone and ported my number over to the micro sim card. I followed all there instructions and got talk & texting capabilities but the 3g would not work. I got the same message as Jhonally, "you are not subscribed to a cellular data service". I researched the heck out of it and there are some erroneous posts saying you cannot get cellular data on ios 5.1. They are WRONG ! Instead of wasting time on the phone with ST customer service, I got on their FaceBook (FB) page and clicked on the Support button. I basically said the same thing a jhonally and by the next day I had gotten an e-mail back from ST telling me that they made the changes to my account and to power off my device and back on. I then had 3g service ! Thank you Jhonally, you saved me a lot of time and effort. I now have a fully functioning iPhone 4 and won't abuse my 3g. I use Wi-Fi whenever I can. It's faster and frees up the 3g for others. I don't see the sense in being a 3g hog just because I can.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cool Having issues with same thing!
    Appreciate the help, same thing here except my phone is a sim card...not fixed yet and have had the phone service 7 days from a month ;-^
    Will try this info and see...
    T

Quote Originally Posted by woowoodengy View Post
    Hey Guys, Just Trying to help the next guy here. I could not get Data no matter what I did. Keep in mind that I been jailbreaking and unlocking iPhones since geohot made the 1st hardware unlock so I know what i'm doing more or less. Anyways I could not get Data even after the profile was installed from unlockit and apn settings where correct. I kept getting the "you are not subscribed to a cellular data service" error. That was actually what was wrong lol. Straight Talk did not activate Data. Since I ported the number from Tmobile the number had to get provisioned or something. I contacted them through their facebook support and let them know that i had the message "you are not subscribed to a cellular data service" and that the number needs to get provisioned. A few hours later I got an email saying there where changes to my account and i should restart. After that Data was working. here was there response.

Hi XXXXX,

We're sorry for this issue. Changes have been made on your account. Please turn your phone off and on to update. Once it is back on, try to access the phone's browser and let us know what happens. Thank you.

Thank you for being our customer. To respond, please reply to this email.

Jhonally
    Straight Talk | Facebook

This is using their BYOP ATT micro sim on iPhone4 ios 5.1 tethered jailbreak 01.59.00 baseband (not unlocked, no need with the att sim)

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks

Default Glad I can help
    Glad I can help guys. I wrote the post since it took so long to solve the problem and I couldnt find the anser when searching.

@EdwardHyde Jhonolly was who I got the reply from after I submitted the support request on facebook. I was the one who wrote the post lol.

An update for those with friends or family that have a valid att account.

I decided to get my iPhone4 officially unlocked through att using my mothers att account. All I had to do was fill out the form here www.att.com/deviceunlock and then after I got the unlock email I restored to ios6 and my baseband upgraded and now my device is unlocked permanently. Please note that my iPhone was not on my mothers account ever.

Here are the requirements to Unlock iPhone 4 or 4s

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking iPhone
    AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:
    The person requesting the unlock is:
    a current AT&T customer or a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the accountThe iPhone was designed for use on AT&T's network;All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied; and The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,148 Times in 4,593 Posts

Two things:
    1) Can I assume, that since StraightTalk uses AT&T towers that when AT&T gets LTE in your city, and you have a phone (like iP5) that can receive LTE - that Straight Talk will be able to employ the LTE speeds? Or not?
    2) I heard that the 2GB cap from StraightTalk for their "unlimited plan" (how these companies get away with using the word "unlimited" for a capped plan is beside me - false advertising to say the least ) was a HARD CAP after which they actually CUT YOU off. Is that just a bad rumor?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Two things:
    1) Can I assume, that since StraightTalk uses AT&T towers that when AT&T gets LTE in your city, and you have a phone (like iP5) that can receive LTE - that Straight Talk will be able to employ the LTE speeds? Or not?
    2) I heard that the 2GB cap from StraightTalk for their "unlimited plan" (how these companies get away with using the word "unlimited" for a capped plan is beside me - false advertising to say the least ) was a HARD CAP after which they actually CUT YOU off. Is that just a bad rumor?
    To answer your questions.

1) I can only hope. It would only work if att lets straight talk use the LTE service. I would think that maybe sometime in the future they would but for now I think we are stuck with 3g. But i am thinking of getting the i5 soon and will report back when I do.
    2) The data cap is not hard. A hard data cap would mean that at exactly 2 gigs the data would be turned off or throttled until your next month or you would be charged for the overage. None of those are true. I have had a month at almost 5gigs and a month at 3gigs and never got a call or a notice. But from my understanding you cant go over the data cap for 2 months in a row. If you do then you get an angry call and if you go over on the 3rd month they will cancel your service.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to woowoodengy For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (09-25-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,148 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by woowoodengy View Post
    To answer your questions.

1) I can only hope. It would only work if att lets straight talk use the LTE service. I would think that maybe sometime in the future they would but for now I think we are stuck with 3g. But i am thinking of getting the i5 soon and will report back when I do.
    2) The data cap is not hard. A hard data cap would mean that at exactly 2 gigs the data would be turned off or throttled until your next month or you would be charged for the overage. None of those are true. I have had a month at almost 5gigs and a month at 3gigs and never got a call or a notice. But from my understanding you cant go over the data cap for 2 months in a row. If you do then you get an angry call and if you go over on the 3rd month they will cancel your service.
    Yes. I knew I'd heard that there's indeed some drastic action taken by StraightTalk when you're a consistent "abuser" of your "unlimited" plan.. ROFL!!!!!!!!!!
    Anything wrong with this picture??? :-/

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Let Me Correct My Post & Give Proper Credit to Woowoodengy Not Jhonally
    Sorry Woowoodengy! You deserve the credit.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardHyde View Post
    A GREAT Big Thank You to Woowoodengy. I was in the same exact situation. I purchased a used iPhone 4 and a $45 ST Unlimited Sim card. I was originally with ST and had a Samsung phone and ported my number over to the micro sim card. I followed all there instructions and got talk & texting capabilities but the 3g would not work. I got the same message as Woowoodengy, "you are not subscribed to a cellular data service". I researched the heck out of it and there are some erroneous posts saying you cannot get cellular data on ios 5.1. They are WRONG ! Instead of wasting time on the phone with ST customer service, I got on their FaceBook (FB) page and clicked on the Support button. I basically said the same thing as Woowoodengy and by the next day I had gotten an e-mail back from ST telling me that they made the changes to my account and to power off my device and back on. I then had 3g service ! Thank you Woowoodengy, you saved me a lot of time and effort. I now have a fully functioning iPhone 4 and won't abuse my 3g. I use Wi-Fi whenever I can. It's faster and frees up the 3g for others. I don't see the sense in being a 3g hog just because I can.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Unbelievable!
    Thank you so much for posting this. I spent over an hour and a half on ST's terrible customer service line. I got transferred no less than 4 times, and when I finally got to the person I needed to talk to, their system was down and they had me wait on the line for another half hour before finally telling me they'd just call me back once the system was up. 2 hours later they finally called back and activated my phone. Then I find out that I'm having this problem that says I'm not subscribed to a cellular data service!!! This is my second time transferring an iPhone 3GS to ST so I know that I'm doing everything right. I was banging my head against the wall trying to adjust settings, rebooting the phone, trying to google ways to fix it... They I came upon you post. I sent ST a message on Facebook and went to bed. About 4:30 in the morning I hear music coming from my kitchen (it was Flyleaf, great band btw). I had Pandora on via WiFi last night and before bed, I turned the WiFi off. Well I went out, confirmed that the data was working and went back to bed. This morning, I had an email that was sent at 4:30 this morning that said that they made some changes and to try it again! IT WORKED!!! Thank you so much for posting this!!!

- John

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Straight Talk - No Data Service
    John, So glad that did the trick and you got it to work! Also, just a FYI. I've learned that it's a reseller of At&t. The data coverage is pretty good depending on your area. But, (and that's a BUT) sometimes when you try to hook up to the network, you'll get a message that it wasn't able to complete your request. I'm paraphrasing. It's happened to me when I've tried to use SoundHound and especially the Apple Store. I don't think I've ever got it to connect to the Apple Store. Sometimes when trying to do online banking I've gotten it, but after a few tries it does connect. So don't think it's your phone or their data service stopped working like I did. And like I stated before, use Wi-Fi whenever it's available. It's faster and more reliable. Enjoy your new service and bragging rights about paying so little for your iPhone service compared to your friends who are paying upwards of $80 a month ! Now, that's something to smile about.