+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Custom Carrier Logo (SPRINT iPhone 4S) [HOW-TO]

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Although I have tested this method a few dozen times on a Sprint iPhone 4S; I cannot guarantee that this will work for you. Due to the files involved, there
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Lightbulb Custom Carrier Logo (SPRINT iPhone 4S) [HOW-TO]

Although I have tested this method a few dozen times on a Sprint iPhone 4S; I cannot guarantee that this will work for you.
    Due to the files involved, there is the possibility of messing up your phone and having to restore and re-jailbreak.
    ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR INFORMATION BEFORE ATTEMPTING FILESYSTEM MODS.
    I am in no way responsible for any and/or all damages that may occur to your iDevice, be it physical or digital, from following this guide.

It started out as a simple task: Replace the boring carrier text on a friend's iPhone with a custom image.

Little did I know... Adding a custom carrier logo to a Sprint iPhone 4S would take many long hours of trial and error, a couple of phone restores and countless SSH sessions.

ALAS ! In the end the result was achieved !

However, I do not wish such headache upon anyone. Thus, I have decided to outline the steps that I took as a point of reference for all those who wish to embark in this adventure.

------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:
    • A Jailbroken iPhone 4S on Sprint
    • iOS 5.0.1 (9A405)*
    • An internet connection
    • HD Carrier Logos (3 in total)
    • An iPhone File Explorer (iFunBox^)
    • A .plist Editor (plist Editor Pro-Windows^)

*I have not tested this on iOS 5.0 or the "other" 5.0.1. It should be compatible with them as well.
    ^The programs in this list are the ones that I used on my computer to complete the procedure. You are welcome to use an alternative as long as you can follow this guide on your own.

------------------------------------------------------------

For this tutorial we will be using images for a Sprint Carrier Logo. You may use your own. Just don't forget to rename them appropriately.

Name:  Default_CARRIER_SPRINT_1only_@2x.png
Views: 5577
Size:  6.2 KB ---- Name:  FSO_CARRIER_SPRINT_1only_@2x.png
Views: 5561
Size:  6.1 KB ---- Name:  TS_CARRIER_SPRINT_1only_@2x.png
Views: 5577
Size:  7.4 KB

Download the above images to your computer. They have been pre-optimized for your benefit.

Open iFunBox and use the Raw File System link to browse to:
    /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/310SPR
    Be very careful not to confuse the 310SPR folder with the 310SPA folder as they are right next to each other !!

Copy the "carrier.plist" from here to your computer. Make another copy and name it "carrierbackup.plist" in case anything goes wrong.

Use plist Editor Pro to open the "carrier.plist" file.

Search for the first instance of
    <key>ShowVoiceRoamingSwitch</key>
    <true/>
    Immediately afterwards, Insert the following
    Code:
    <key>StatusBarImages</key>
    	<array>
    		<dict>
    			<key>AllowPrefixMatching</key>
    			<false/>
    			<key>CarrierName</key>
    			<string>Sprint</string>
    			<key>DefaultImage</key>
    			<string>Default_CARRIER_SPRINT_1only_.png</string>
    			<key>FullScreenOpaqueImage</key>
    			<string>FSO_CARRIER_SPRINT_1only_.png</string>
    			<key>StatusBarCarrierName</key>
    			<string>Sprint</string>
    			<key>TransparentShadowedImage</key>
    			<string>TS_CARRIER_SPRINT_1only_.png</string>
    		</dict>
    	</array>
    Save the file and then use iFunBox to replace the original "carrier.plist" file inside the "310SPR" folder with the one you just modified.
    Again, be very careful not to confuse the 310SPR folder with the 310SPA folder as they are right next to each other !!

Now, on your phone open "Cydia", tap on the "Manage" tab and then tap on "Sources".
    On the top right corner, tap on "Edit" and then, on the left side, tap on "Add".

You will now be prompted to enter a "Cydia/APT URL"

Go ahead and type
    v.backspace.jp/repo
    Then press "Add Source".
    Wait for Cydia to load the repo then in the "Search" tab, search for "CommCenter* patch for iOS 5" and install it.

If your device does not automatically reboot, reboot it.
    You should now see your custom carrier in the status bar.

-----

ALTERNATIVELY, You may use Winterboard to manage your carrier logo.
    Simply create a group of folders with the following structure and names:
    Custom Logo.theme/Bundles/com.apple.Sprint_US/
    Place your 3 image files inside the last folder, keeping the same file names as the original images.

Download Winterboard from Cydia if you have not done so already.
    Use iFunBox to browse to
    /Library/Themes
    and drag your "Custom Logo.theme" folder into it.

In the iPhone, access the Winterboard settings either through the icon on the springboard or through the settings app.
    Tap "Select Themes >" and tap on "Custom Logo" until a check appears to the left of it.
    tap on the top left corner where it says "Winterboard" and once more where it says "Respring."

Done.

Your device should now have the sprint text replaced by the sprint logo.

Enjoy your logo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom Carrier Logo (SPRINT iPhone 4S) [HOW-TO]-statusbar.png   Custom Carrier Logo (SPRINT iPhone 4S) [HOW-TO]-statusbarrawr.png   Custom Carrier Logo (SPRINT iPhone 4S) [HOW-TO]-statusbarsprint.png  
    Last edited by ("\(.:...:.)/") ~ RaWr; 01-29-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Made Winterboard Optional

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ("\(.:...:.)/") ~ RaWr For This Useful Post:

bofo510 (01-30-2012), ThaNatrix (01-28-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This works....you don't have to install commcenter patch though. If you find out a way to do it without winter board (where to move the image files) let me know. Winterboard is laggy and known to mess with stuff. Also, if you do this mod you will have to reinstall tetherme (and potentially mywi?) in order to re-enable the personal hotspot.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If you don't patch CommCenter, the modded carrier.plist does not take effect next time you start your device. It manages to connect to the network but no carrier info is shown. (I manually patched my CommCenter and tried reboot with the modded one and the original one)

I use Winteboard with the Summerboard extension disabled and PNGs optimized. This seems to take away many of the issues with performance away from my phone... At least as far as Winterboard is concerned.

If you want to do it manually, the image files should be moved to the 310SPR and Sprint_US folders. Thats where the .plist points to the files. That is also (I think) where Winterboard makes the substitution. However, I have still not been able to do this without Winterboard as of yet.

Thanks

I guess I didn't have to patch it because I put the files in those directories automatically hoping I wouldn't have to use Winterboard. I resprung after changing out the plists, had the lowercase sprint, then installed winterboard and selected the theme.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaNatrix View Post
    I guess I didn't have to patch it because I put the files in those directories automatically hoping I wouldn't have to use Winterboard. I resprung after changing out the plists, had the lowercase sprint, then installed winterboard and selected the theme.
    I figured out the way to enable the files without the use of Winterboard. I have also updated the guide accordingly. *In your case, just replace the carrier.plist with the new code i provided.
    What I have not been able to reproduce is the use of the custom logos without patching CommCenter.
    If its working for you, then you either already had a patched file or you are lucky.
    Last edited by ("\(.:...:.)/") ~ RaWr; 01-29-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks
    Also works on Sprint iPhone 4

Thanks

Thanks for the update. I reloaded the new carrier.plist with the icons in the same bundle, deleted winterboard, resprung and viola, Sprint logo. No commcenter patching was required. Perhaps I am just lucky. For some reason the logo is stretched on my phone though...it doesn't look like your pictures. Any idea why?

Thanks
    I think your just lucky, imho, because without commcenter on mine, it doesnt even show the logo.

Thanks

Hmmn...I'm on 5.0.1 9A405....are you guys on 9A406? I'm not familiar with all of the differences but that could be it if that's the case?

Thanks
    My 4s is on the "other" 5.0.1 (9A406) and my 4 is on 5.0.1 (9A405) and if it doesn't have commcenter I dont have a logo on either of them, so idk maybe you are just lucky.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

you should post a video. I could not get the logo to show up... I tried both methods. Im running 9A405

Thanks
    It didnt work for me the first time either, in fact it put my phone in a reboot cycle. However upon restoring and re-jailbreaking it worked fine. Make sure you are doing it in these steps

1. edit plist and place logos in Sprint_US folder
    2. install commcenter
    3. reboot

I have recently submitted a package to MMI containing Carrier Logo files for this tweak, its called Sprint Custom Carrier Logos iOS5 idk when it will be on there but if you dont want to wait for it you can always get it from my repo ( iModdr Repo ) This package will also make sure that you have the correct files installed and there is a read me file for each logo with specific instructions on how to set it up. make sure that you read the instructions in the description of the tweak on Cydia very carefully.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to iModdr For This Useful Post:

bofo510 (01-29-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It worked without having to use the commcenter

Thanks
    so you are one of the lucky ones too it wont work on my 4s or 4 without commcenter.....must be something i have installed and dont install the one from my repo it will make you install commcenter, let me build a package that doesnt require it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

do you copy the plist intself with plist pro? I followed exactly what you said and bamm it worked. same version of 4s? and did you use absinthe as well to jailbreak?

i think it didnt work the first time for me because I renamed the sprint png files maybe that is another factor..

Thanks
    What I did is copied the plist to my desktop edited it with the editor ( found the key metioned below and pasted the text afterward )and created a backup of the original, then replaced the carrier.plist on my device and it didnt work on either my 4s or 4 until i installed commcenter and my 4s runs the new 5.0.1 and i jb my 4s with absinthe and my 4 with redsn0w

Yes if you renamed the png files that probably is exactly what messed it up

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i copied the plist filed original paste it on my desktop. Then I edited from the ifunbox filed and save it and then put the pictures on the sprint_us folder. and I ejected my phone and saw the icon no reboot needed. it should work. try it out unistall commcenter and replace plist with original and delete pictures and re do the steps i know it will work on both.

Thanks
    already have tried that

Ok my repo has the corrected deb on in now and its still called the same thing. Right now it only offers AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, iModdr, and RaWr logos, but more are coming

Idk maybe I am one of the unlucky ones. Oh well it works for me just fine but if I have to restore ever I will try it again.
    Last edited by iModdr; 01-30-2012 at 12:40 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rvance's Avatar
    Thanks

Last edited by rvance; 01-30-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: i figured it out

Thanks
    If you are talking about the Sprint package on my repo, those are made just for sprint, I had planned to create a set for Verizon today, Give me about 2 hours and I will repy to this post and send you a personal message to let you know that it is on the repo