+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G on Straight Talk?

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I know there are posts on this, but none I can follow. I just need two questions answered.. xD 1. Using Straight Talk on an iPhone 3G, do you have
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Question iPhone 3G on Straight Talk?
    I know there are posts on this, but none I can follow. I just need two questions answered.. xD

1. Using Straight Talk on an iPhone 3G, do you have to use the Nokia E71 or Nokia 6790, or can it be any GSM Straight Talk phone?

2. Do you need to change the IMEI on the iPhone (I don't think that this is still even possible, and from what I've seen, you can't talk about how to on this forum. Just wondering.)

AT&T was getting too expensive. I know how to jailbreak an iPhone. I basically learned everything on using Straight Talk with it, I just need to know the answer to both of those questions.

Thank you!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You can only use E71 6690 E5 thats it no others ...
    No you dont change imei and theres no talk of that here
    There is a thread here that give all you need to know
    read there it will anwser all your ??
    iPhone 3G with Straight Talk..APN info??
    Last edited by vtails; 09-09-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: forgot link

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thanks for the answer.

Now, since I "have" to buy a "new phone" for this to work, does it have to be working, or can I buy it off ebay, as long as it comes with the SIM and is a straight talk phone?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Another question. If it can be broken, does it have to have the SIM or can I get one from Straight Talk? or will Straight Talk send one that doesn't work with iPhone?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Anyone? :P

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Im sorry for so many questions. Here is my last group of questions (relating back to my couple of replies..)

1. Can it be a broken E71, or does it have to be new? If it can be broken, can I call Straight Talk for a new SIM if it doesn't include one, or will they send me one that doesn't work with iPhone?

2. If the iPhone is Jailbroken AND Unlocked, does it still have to be the E71, 6790, or E5?

Thank you very much!! This site has helped me a lot, even though Im still not understanding these last 2 questions. Any help would be much appreciated.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

My answers are in green:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtpl View Post
    Im sorry for so many questions. Here is my last group of questions (relating back to my couple of replies..)

1. Can it be a broken E71, or does it have to be new? If it can be broken, can I call Straight Talk for a new SIM if it doesn't include one, or will they send me one that doesn't work with iPhone? Yes, you can request a new SIM from Straight Talk to activate with (could take a couple weeks to get, BTW), but I strongly urge you to avoid buying a broken or used phone. There's a decent possibility third-party-selling phones could have been marked as stolen, abused, or otherwise unable to activated, and that means you losing money on a bum deal.
    I'd suggest getting a refurb or new one from Walmart or Straight Talk directly rather than eBay, Craigslist, or other third parties. It's a $100-200 hit to go the new/refurb route through an actual retailer, but it will be worth it... believe me.

2. If the iPhone is Jailbroken AND Unlocked, does it still have to be the E71, 6790, or E5? YES. This is because Straight Talk phone service/activation/etc is tied to the Nokia smartphone's IMEI, not the SIM card (so you have to buy and keep the Nokia smartphone to continue service).

Thank you very much!! This site has helped me a lot, even though Im still not understanding these last 2 questions. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Hope those answers helped a lot.

Once again, as vtails mentioned, there is an in-depth thread here that talks about using ST on an iPhone. I offered a few nice solutions for APN tweaks and setups that work nicely on nearly every model iPhone.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Okay so if the service is tied to the IMEI, how does the iPhone work on it if it's a different IMEI..?

Thanks anyway. I've had more than enough reports of it working to go ahead, this question I just asked is more of a "i'm confused" rather than "is this going to work if" kind of question.

Thanks a lot!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I think the bill is tied to the IMEI. If you want to make a payment and continue service, the SIM has to be inside the original phone it came with in order to do so. But you can still use the actual service with the iPhone. It works for sure, I don't know the exact details or technicalities but I have seen quite a handful of people use it this way. The stipulation is as I outlined, the payment process that is.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dtpl View Post
    Okay so if the service is tied to the IMEI, how does the iPhone work on it if it's a different IMEI..?

Thanks anyway. I've had more than enough reports of it working to go ahead, this question I just asked is more of a "i'm confused" rather than "is this going to work if" kind of question.

Thanks a lot!!
    Straight Talk, along with sister brands Tracfone and Net10, are set up unlike most GSM MVNOs because of proprietary firmware use and other means. Since they operate both GSM and CDMA phones, their activation and billing scheme uses serial codes (IMEI/ESN/MEID) to track accounts to services. So, basically, you'd have to have a ST phone to activate or keep service and have to do lots of effort to change devices. Plus, if you have issues, they tend to ask for your phone's serial number and if what you tell them is not in their supported list, they can flag you or deactivate your account on all phones if neccessary. It's all a convoluted on their end, IMHO.
    That is also why I and others have said that you cannot sell the phone to someone else and keep service (once the phone is activated on a new account, your account goes bye-bye, along with the service to the SIM).

That said, the service itself it through the SIM, but the SIM is basically a 'radiotag' so that the service knows what device the service is going to. They don't track device/IMEI network registrations (currently), so you can SIM swap between phones all you want (other than to other Tracfone/Net10/ST phones).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

i.Annie (09-11-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Straight Talk, along with sister brands Tracfone and Net10, are set up unlike most GSM MVNOs because of proprietary firmware use and other means. Since they operate both GSM and CDMA phones, their activation and billing scheme uses serial codes (IMEI/ESN/MEID) to track accounts to services. So, basically, you'd have to have a ST phone to activate or keep service and have to do lots of effort to change devices. Plus, if you have issues, they tend to ask for your phone's serial number and if what you tell them is not in their supported list, they can flag you or deactivate your account on all phones if neccessary. It's all a convoluted on their end, IMHO.
    That is also why I and others have said that you cannot sell the phone to someone else and keep service (once the phone is activated on a new account, your account goes bye-bye, along with the service to the SIM).

That said, the service itself it through the SIM, but the SIM is basically a 'radiotag' so that the service knows what device the service is going to. They don't track device/IMEI network registrations (currently), so you can SIM swap between phones all you want (other than to other Tracfone/Net10/ST phones).
    Awesome explanation. I learned what I have been wondering for a while now lol. Thanks.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post

Thank you, I pretty much understand it now! xD

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

For anyone else that reads this thread.If you buy a broken phone and get a new Sim
    How would you get it activated.this isn't cheap to do. I have gone though i3g,3GS,i4 and realy
    I should have stop and stayed with the 3GS,I wanted to do video calls with the grand kids