+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3g on straight talk questions

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
hi, newb here, ive been in need of help with my iphone 3g for about a week and everytime i find good info after searching i always end up at
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question iphone 3g on straight talk questions
    hi, newb here, ive been in need of help with my iphone 3g for about a week and everytime i find good info after searching i always end up at this site so i registered. i didnt know anything about an iphone a week ago and this site has helped me tons!

anywho, i have iphone 3g 4.2.1 firmware on 5.15.4 baseband and using Straight Talk service. everything on the phone works great, calls, text, data, wifi, ect.ect... EXCEPT for mms.. ive had the "camera icon" on my messages since i got the phone last week but it wouldnt send pictures. i used "unlockit.co.nz" for the costom apn, and everything worked after that but mms still wont send. it goes about 90% then has the red "!" pop up.

after doing reasearch i was under the impression that jailbreaking would allow mms to send. so i jailbroke it with redsn0w 9.6b4 and still nothing.

my baseband is 5.15.4 and im also under the impression that the only way to "unlock it is to upgrade to the ipad baseband of 6.15.00... i tried ultrasn0w also with no luck before finding this out...

what do you guys recommend i do? i really want/need to be able to send/recieve mms and if i cant then ill have to go back to my Nokia E71 (which i do NOT want to do lol)??? I am willing to do the 6.15, but only if i know for a FACT that it will fix it so im not stuck on that baseband if it dont work...

sorry if my questions are dumb. if this is already gone over then please reply with a link (i tried the search with no luck with my particular problems)
    thanks in advance..
    Last edited by adam61a; 07-24-2011 at 07:45 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

anybody??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i know somebody has to have this issue... I NEED MMS!!! lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

There's two options, both requiring jailbreaking:

1) Purchase the Cydia tweak 'Tether Me' and install it. It will allow you to edit the APN & MMS settings. Then find the settings online to use on your phone (I'm not near the computers I use, so I can't grab them at the moment). Note: If you reset network settings or SIM-swap, you'll need to redo your settings afterward.

2). Read the Straight Talk APN thread further down in this subforum and follow my instructions on obtaining a CommCenter patch & add my ipcc file to your phone.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok im looking into them right away... i do already have "tether me" and have had for a while and the settings appear to be correct with what i have found online

i guess ill look into option 2

but to be on the safe side here is all the info from my phone via settings>general>network>cellular data network

Cellular Data..
    APN- Att.mvno
    Username-blank
    Password-blank

Visual Voicemail..
    APN- acds.voicemail
    Username-blank
    Password-blank

MMS...
    APN- wap.cingular
    Username-blank
    Password-blank
    MMSC- http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy- wireless.cingular.com:80
    MMS Max Message Size- 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL

settings>messages
    Shop Previews- ON
    Repeat Alert- ON
    MMS- ON
    Groupe Messaging- OFF
    Show Subject Field- OFF
    Character Count- OFF

let me know if i should post up anything else i have

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The MMS proxy and APNs you posted isn't correct. I believe it is supposed to be the following:
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: "proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80" (no quotes).
    That's probably why you haven't gotten MMS to work.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    There's two options, both requiring jailbreaking:

1) Purchase the Cydia tweak 'Tether Me' and install it. It will allow you to edit the APN & MMS settings. Then find the settings online to use on your phone (I'm not near the computers I use, so I can't grab them at the moment). Note: If you reset network settings or SIM-swap, you'll need to redo your settings afterward.

2). Read the Straight Talk APN thread further down in this subforum and follow my instructions on obtaining a CommCenter patch & add my ipcc file to your phone.
    ok so i didn option"2" and changed my already "editable" info to what it said to change it to on that thread and it.... WORKED!!!!!!

now i have MMS!!! Thank you GenisisDH!!! you just gave me a big relief because ive spent so many hours trying to figure out what i did wrong/didnt do in the whole process of Jailbreaking and Tethering my 3g on ST!!

thanks again for all your help... now my phone does EVERYTHING lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Your right GenesisDH. This is what I luckily found out when you suggested option 2 above to me. I guess I already had everything I was suppose to have downloaded buy until you guys directed to me exactly what to do I had no idea that this was suppose to be changed manually, bc it had came with whatever package the way I posted it above so I assumed it was already correct... Again, thank you very much. Glad I joined this site as I would still be leaching around for fixes blindly