+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A question from Canada!

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello all, this is my first post on modmyi, but I am a keen reader of website and have been jailbreaking for quite some time now. I currently have an
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Talking A question from Canada!
    Hello all,

this is my first post on modmyi, but I am a keen reader of website and have been jailbreaking for quite some time now. I currently have an iPhone 3gs which is unlocked using the UltraSn0w utility but I am frustrated with the battery issues. After doing a bit of research I realized that its not the Ultrasn0w but the process of hacktivation which tends to cause the battery drainage.

Why do I need to hacktivate? simple as the phone was orignally on Bell network and I am currently with Telus. So after reading around I realized that i could officially activate my phone on bell as long as I don't upgrade my baseband (making a custom ipsw file). I have already preserved my baseband and all but as of today apple released OS 4.3.2 .

My question is, if I were to make a custom ipsw again using sn0wbreeze and then do a force restore (shift+restore) would it let me upload my custom file or would iTunes still force me to upgrade to 4.3.2? A friend of mine was also wondering the same thing. Any feedback would be great.

P.S. I am already on 4.3.1 and have already hactivated for my daily use, but this is an experiment and if it fixes my battery issues it would be amazing!

Sorry for the long post. Thanks

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You can only install the IOS version that either

a) Apple is signing
    b) You have saved SHSH blobs for.

Try running TinyUmbrella and then clicking on save SHSH while your phone is connected. See what SHSH blobs it can save, you may have some on saurik server you don't know about if you have jailbroken in the past and said yes to make my life easier in cydia.

Otherwise, you could try using SAM to activate

Activate iPhone Without Official Carrier SIM And Also Fix Poor Battery Life Issue After Unlocking Using SAM – iPhone Hacks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey thanks for the reply, Yes I was gonna get to that SAM activation thing, but I thought if I could get to it with using an official carrier SIM then why not. I was also wondering if Apple was still signing 4.3.1? Could anyone verify that for me, please? If so then I might give it a go tomorrow itself if not then I would go try SAM activation.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

apparently they are no longer signing it. I don't know as i'm still on 4.3.1 and don't see a good reason to go to 4.3.2.
    Definitely, activating with the proper carrier sim is the best way to go.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to goofball2k For This Useful Post:

jaxdacool1 (04-16-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yes, I would activate but I needed to know for sure if they were signing or not because I would still be unlocking later on using Ultrasn0w. I guess that answers my question fairly clearly. I wouldn't wanna be stuck while trying to get apple to sign the iOS as that would ultimately force me to upgrade to 4.3.2 and I cannot risk that as there is a tethered JB and also could potentially lose my preserved baseband. Thanks again.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Download tinyumbrella, and see what SHSH blobs are available for your phone. Perhaps there is 4.3.1 which can be jb'ed untethered and ultrasn0w working.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey I shall defin look into that but what about the signal bar issue with TinyUmbrella besides even Musclenerd mentioned that 4.3.1 unlockers should wait? The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella
    What is this about? Should I be concerned or I read somewhere that this was mostly affecting AT&T users?

Sorry for the double post, but I just used TinyUmbrella as instructed and realized that I only have blobs upto 4.2.1, and I really don't want to downgrade now I guess I will give SAM activation a try, what do you personally say, do you unlock yourself and have you noticed any significant changes in your iPhone 4?
    Last edited by jaxdacool1; 04-16-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The post on tinyumbrella was made before 1.2.1 ultrasn0w was released by dev team.

No, i don't unlock with my iphone 4. I did unlock with a 3GS (05.13.04) without any issues with signal. I have also unlocked a 3G with 06.15.00 and the only thing that seems off with that one is GPS and push notifications for certain apps.

If you have 4.2.1 SHSH blobs, I'd downgrade to that and JB. Seems more stable than 4.3.1 plus more app compatibility.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Really? well I just activated using SAM activation and it seemed to work (I can sync with iTunes without any trouble) I have yet to notice any differences in battery life since last full charge. Let's see, if it works then I might stick to it if not then I might try your SHSH method, btw I have never really worked with SHSH blobs, would you be kind enough to point me towards a reliable guide?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Not saying 4.3.1 isn't stable but others have reported some issues with 4.3.1 that they didn't have with 4.2.1
    Guide on the forum on using tinyumbrella
    [How-To] Using tiny umbrella to update/downgrade/restore

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Sweet, I shall give it a read and since SAM has kinda improved my battery life (phone definitely holds charge for a longer duration than hacktivation) I shall stick to it for now but if it does give me problems I know where to turn thanks to you. Thanks for all your help though.