+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: An update to the carrier settings for your iPhone is available...

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and enjoy the personal hotspot feature... Since last week I received the message on the title here... If I download it, I will
    iPhone? More like MyPhone alpawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Default An update to the carrier settings for your iPhone is available...
    I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and enjoy the personal hotspot feature... Since last week I received the message on the title here... If I download it, I will not be able to use the feature!!! Will this be blocked for my carrier (tigo) in the new software update?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpawa View Post
    If I download it, I will not be able to use the feature!!! Will this be blocked for my carrier (tigo) in the new software update?
    Is that a question or a statement, the sentence that I have bolded in the quote?

Thanks

That is a statement... it refers to the standalone carrier settings update.
    My question is if in the coming iOS updates will this carrier settings will be added in that package? If so, I won't update to the next iOS...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

That is a statement... it refers to the standalone carrier settings update.
    My question is if in the coming iOS updates will this carrier settings will be added in that package? If so, I won't update to the next iOS...
    More than likely it will be included (and probably updated) in the next available iOS update.
    But, you could always JB and remove the bundle from your phone post-update or install a CommCenter Patch or MyWi to get tethering back on your phone.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks

Thanks. How can I remove it post update?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default This assumes the bundle will be in the next iOS, 4.3.1 doesn't have tigo bundles inside
    Thanks. How can I remove it post update?
    Jailbreak the new iOS update, go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone and search for your carrier and its symlink (in this case it would start with tigo/comcel and its link would be 70402 or 704002. Delete them and you'd be good to go, as then your phone should use the 'unknown carrier bundle after that.

You should also search your computer for the 'update' .ipcc file that you received (it may have been downloaded to your computer even if you didn't update to it) and delete it. Depending on the OS and version of iTunes you use, the location for this .ipcc file varies.

Are you sure the update will block your use of the hotspot feature? Have you applied this update before? Not all carriers deny their customers a means to use internet tethering or hotspot features.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Are you sure the update will block your use of the hotspot feature? Have you applied this update before? Not all carriers deny their customers a means to use internet tethering or hotspot features.
    Yes! I did the Carrier settings update twice trying to figure out if I could make re-appear the personal hotspot feature... In both instances failed! I got a friend in the technical area of my carrier and he confirmed that tigo would not be enabling that feature, at least in the near future and his advice was "do not update!"... After updating -and loosing the feature- I removed the .ipcc file from users/(myname)/Library/iTunes/iPhone carrier support and restored the iphone and It was OK again...
    When the next iOS comes, if it does not come with some very cool features, I will not update, although the post updating removal of the carrier settings seems pretty neat!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by alpawa; 04-13-2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: more info

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Jailbreak the new iOS update, go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone and search for your carrier and its symlink (in this case it would start with tigo/comcel and its link would be 70402 or 704002. Delete them and you'd be good to go, as then your phone should use the 'unknown carrier bundle after that.
    I jailbroke my 4.3.1 and tried that... First there is no tigo or comcel bundle (??) and there is no symlink 70402 or 704002... Where did you get those? Can you verify them and/or get me the right files to delete? Would appreciate it very much!