+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Visiting UK

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am visiting the UK in October, and would like to take my AT&T iPhone 4 with me. Provided I maintain my iPhone in a jailbroken & unlockable state, what
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Visiting UK
    I am visiting the UK in October, and would like to take my AT&T iPhone 4 with me.

Provided I maintain my iPhone in a jailbroken & unlockable state, what pre-paid carriers do you recommend, and could you help me out with the APN settings that you used with that carrier.

Thanks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

EDIT: wrong reply. Sorry.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, go for 3 Uk, they are the best UK network for 3g speeds. For coverage ,I would go with Orange Uk, who I am with. I wouldn't worry about APN, as Orange does not allow you to edit settings, it automatically selects the right carrier bundle. In case it doesn't, use Unlockitz.nz (or whatever it is), the APN is orangeinternet, and blank for password.

Thank me if this helped

Thanks

Orange for coverage,
    O2 for cost and simplicity

I'm with O2 as it's the official partner with AT&T for internation calls

Like A Boss

Thanks

Vodafone is good if you are going around EU
    10 topup will get you 300 text and 500mb data within UK. Also data roaming is 2/day for 5 or 25mb/day within EU.

Thanks

+1 on O2
    10 topup will also get you text and 500mb data in UK, plus you'll get unlimited wifi hotspot with cloud and BT around UK.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, I'm heading towards O2, They've been very helpful in giving me the correct APN details for their PAYG service.

And perhaps they might be able to permanently unlock my iPhone.

Thanks all.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Again, i'd suggest O2. Been with them for years, and they tend to be great. Especially if you would be using a standalone sim. Their iPhone tariffs can be found here:

Tariffs <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td align="center"> <table border="0" cellpadding="8" cellspacing="0"> <tr> <td> <font class="gamma" size="2"><span class="gamma-neg-alert"> Your browser does not support th

Hope this helps!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Are there any brick & mortar stores or sunday markets in the UK which sell the Gevey Micro SIM?

Just thinking ahead should for some unknown reason Ultrasn0w not work for me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Smile hmmm
    I've never heard of the Gevey Micro Sim, but if it is useful and reliable, there will be a hundred thousand corner shops that sell it.

Also, be sure to either

a) download the patch that let's you change SIMs and activate without iTunes

b) bring your comp

I know what i'm talking bout, even ultrasn0w needs a computer to switch sims.

Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kartik View Post
    I've never heard of the Gevey Micro Sim, but if it is useful and reliable, there will be a hundred thousand corner shops that sell it.

Also, be sure to either

a) download the patch that let's you change SIMs and activate without iTunes

b) bring your comp

Thanks
    The Gevey MicroSIM is like the rebel sim.

What is the name of the patch that your mention in a)?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ohh ok, get the Gevey as a back up maybe. The patch you need is on Cydia, I forget the name. Google it, I really can't remember, I think Sherif Hashim made it. Just my 2c

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kartik View Post
    The only device needing a computer/hacktivation tool for swapping SIMs after unlocking is the 2G (original) iPhone.
    Any other iPhone, as long as it was originally activated with the original carrier's SIM (even a deactivated SIM), will have the ability to switch SIMs when needed... but ultrasn0w is needed on a vulnerable baseband (unless the phone is officially unlocked or is being using with an imposter SIM) in order to use other carriers' SIMs.

I have always been able to swap SIMs between my 3G-capable devices without issue. When not unlocked, at&t SIM swapping worked fine; with unlocking my T-Mobile and AT&T SIMs swapped just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherminator View Post
    The Gevey MicroSIM is like the rebel sim.

What is the name of the patch that your mention in a)?
    There is no patch needed as long as you activated your iPhone originally with an AT&T SIM via iTunes. As far as if the Gevey MicroSIM works, in principle it should work but YMMV. I've heard those imposter SIMs are very finicky and sometimes don't even work at all. This has even been mentioned by Dev Team member MuscleNerd.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave