+ Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G with Straight Talk..APN info??

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Read post 8 ,34 and 49 on a jailbroke 3g with cydia everything you need is there thanks to Genesis and Sprackleor and by the way when you get there
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Read post 8 ,34 and 49 on a jailbroke 3g with cydia everything you need is there thanks to Genesis and Sprackleor and by the way when you get there dont try to change your back case :0

Quote Originally Posted by sprackleor View Post
    iPhone locked in headset only mode

Cause: removing a headset while phone playing and locked.

Major symptom: no sound from earhole speaker.

Solution: (fastest) play a song from iPod or any lengthy duration audio clip and allow phone to completely lock. Insert iPhone compatible headset jack. Unlock phone. Stop audio. Unplug jack.
    Thanks didn't work I have a hardware issue.
    Last edited by My2choyz; 07-10-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

^ Haha Genesis is the one who deserves the credit.

Theres some other things you can try first ie insert the headphones plug several times has worked, or try cleaning out the jack or take it apart and reseat the flex cable. Just hope its not your mainboard.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, I'm new posting here, have lurked about a month but not posted till now I am really hoping someone can help us out. Let me say before I start though, that I am not computer savvy, so please bare with me.

I have an iPhone 3g OSI 4.2.1, took it to a friend of mine for him to jailbreak & all. He tried everything he knew, even tried 2 repos of supreme preferences 3.0 (japanese version & english) to no avail. He did jailbreak using redsnow 0.9.6, have cydia & downloaded winterboard as well. He was able to replace the carrier bundle AT&T to ST, but that is as far as he could get, and that was using mobile config.

I am a bit frustrated at this point b/c we are at a standstill & we've been trying this for about a month now to no avail. I would use the E71 that I have, but the buttons are too small, the screen is small and I have super bad vision & find myself squinting alot & get headaches if I use my phone alot I would love to be able to complete the process so that I can use the mms for picture messaging as well as cellular data. At this point, if we can't get this working, I think I may get a droid as I have heard (& read) you can configure them not only easliy but within a few minutes & they also use different software. I would be forever grateful for advice to get this stuff working!!! Please & Thank You!

Very frustrated

-and yes, if I don't understand the process or advice, I Will pass it along to my friend

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The people here have made this real simple,first you install the commcenter patch,then if you dont have cellular data network in setting's you will have to edit your carrierbundle.plist that should give you your cellular data,then install the mobileconfig file and you should be good.I would start by reading all 5 pages here alot.Then read the How To in the commcenter patch info thats on the first page.Also I know that someone posted how to have the commcenter patch installed for you which should be the first file you start with,then read Wortels instructions for editing the carrier plist to install the cellular data network,Maybe your friend could look it over with you.I have a 3G 4.2.1 and it works prefect.Thanks to all the kind people that gave there time and donated the files to get this done,take your time,
    Last edited by vtails; 07-21-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Its not a difficult process if you follow the directions explicitly. Take one step at a time which makes it pretty foolproof. The one place where you may get tripped up is updating the carrier settings in itunes as there is no confirmation that all went ok so if its not working try repeating this step again. Also, if your doing it on a PC I had to run cmd as administrator in order for it to work. Just post back if you have issues.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just want to say THANK YOU for all the help and not getting upset with me b/c I'm not computer or iPhone savvy

I was wondering, if someone could clarify some things for me. What I need is the command line I need to type in to get itunes to update to Carrier.plist this is what I have: %ProgramFiles%\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 14 <---is this correct or what is it supposed to be?

When I try & double click the .ipcc file and itunes it doesn't work and does not say updating carrier info. Do I need to associate the file with itune or something or how do I get the ipcc file to work at all?

Just want to say thanks again! You all are AWESOME & such a big help

Thanks

Heres the the cmd I used "%ProgramFiles%\itunes\itunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1 then opened itunes and then loaded the file. If that doesn't work google for iFun Box and PLedit.exe.These are easy program's to use to find your files and edit them,in the Commcenter(4all4)on the first page,the PDF file talk's about this problem and how to edit the info.plist to 8.1.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain.Obvious View Post
    I just want to say THANK YOU for all the help and not getting upset with me b/c I'm not computer or iPhone savvy

I was wondering, if someone could clarify some things for me. What I need is the command line I need to type in to get itunes to update to Carrier.plist this is what I have: %ProgramFiles%\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 14 <---is this correct or what is it supposed to be?

When I try & double click the .ipcc file and itunes it doesn't work and does not say updating carrier info. Do I need to associate the file with itune or something or how do I get the ipcc file to work at all?

Just want to say thanks again! You all are AWESOME & such a big help

This is command you need:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
    - copy the entire command then go to Start > Run and type cmd in the box and hit enter (or if you are on Vista or Win 7 then go to Start and type cmd in the search box and hit enter, it will find the cmd program, rt click on that program and select 'run as admin')

- this will bring up a command prompt (a little black window with a blinking cursor).. click next to the blinking cursor and paste your command from above in this box and hit enter. unless it gives you an error message after you enter the command then that means it worked. close the command prompt.

- attach your phone (with your ST sim in the phone) to the usb cable and open itunes. it will recognize your phone and take you to the summary screen where you will see 2 buttons that say Update and Restore.

- hold down the shift key on your keyboard and click on Update then release the shift key. this will open up a window on your computer. use this open window to locate and select the .ipcc file on your computer.

- after you find the file and hit open, itunes will say its updating and then finish. if it doesnt give you an error message that means it worked.

- close itunes and unhook your phone and reboot the phone.

- when it finishes booting and you are at the springboard (home screen) go to Settings > General > About then scroll down to Carrier and it should say Straight Talk.
    Last edited by sprackleor; 07-23-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks
    laserguy216 asked and it never got answered. can you or can you not use a used e71 sim card?

Thanks

E71 E5 and cant remember other nokia Those are the only 3,,no others.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to vtails For This Useful Post:

I-Sleipner (09-06-2011)

Thanks
    but can i use a used sim. like bought off craigslist or whatever?

could really use the assist
    Last edited by I-Sleipner; 09-06-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks

You must have "SIM AND PHONE",it must be actavated together,

Thanks
    Ok thanks so much for that. I figured that was it but thought I would see if anyone else did it the way I described.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default One more time...
    Simple for you right? I hope so because I need a little help.

I feel really close. I have been hunting and gathering info and wrenching on my phone for a week now and still stuck.

Before we start - thanks to everyone before me for putting all this info together.

Okay - so I started with post #8... I added some extra help with 1.a (in orange) for beginners like me...

1) Go to the following site, download the linked file and follow the instructions in the zip file: CommCenter Patch by wortel (4ALL4)
    This will allow your iPhone to accept unofficial carrier files (including the one I'm posting here).

1.a - follow the instructions in the zip file?? WOW - not written for beginners... but...
    1.a.i - So using this helpful site iClarified - iPhone - How to SSH Into Your iPhone Using WinSCP (Windows) - I learned how to get openssh on cydia and install it on my phone. Then downloaded winscp to my xp pc. Used it to setup a ssh connection to copy the "*.deb" in my case called "CCPatch.wortel.4ALL4.deb" - I copied it over to /private/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall and
    rebooted your device twice.
    1.a.2 - I skipped all of the "Changing the carrier.plist from your carrier with a plist editor"... since I was guessing this is the .ipcc file I downloaded ?? from Straight-Talk-ipcc.zip?? besides which it was still a bit over my head...

---- Honestly - steps 2 on went without any issues ---
    2) Download the attached file below, unzip it (be careful Safari users, it may try to unzip the file twice), and place the .ipcc file someplace you can find later.
    3) If you have iTunes open, quit iTunes. Then, depending on the OS, do the following:
    a) Mac: Go into Terminal and put in the following:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool YES
    b) Win: Go into Command Prompt and put in the following:
    Code:
    "%ProgramFiles%\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
    4) With the ST SIM in your iPhone, plug it into your computer and startup iTunes
    5) Once iTunes starts and you can get to your iPhone's summary tab: shift-click (WIN) or option-click (MAC) the "Update" or "Check for Updates" button. A popup window should appear.
    6) Find the folder you put the .ipcc file you downloaded in step 2 and double click the .ipcc file. iTunes should then popup saying 'Updating Carrier Settings" or similar. Once that is done, you should be good to go.
    7) (Optional, but recommended) Restart/Power cycle your iPhone.
    8) To check to see if it worked, go into Settings--->General--->About and look for Carrier. Carrier should say 'Straight Talk 10.0' if it installed correctly.
    Okay - so what is it. Throughout all of these steps - the phone is not registered. It won't make phone calls or anything. I know there is a difference between jailbroken and unlocked. I'd guess that if I have cydia - I am JB'd. But maybe I am not unlocked. After Jailbreaking - my phone does not make phone calls. Could that be it - does it have to be forced activated or something?

Any help or any pointers.... I am at wits end and don't know what to try...

So thanks again for getting me this far.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

First off, make sure the SIM is activated on ST correctly and works in the Nokia device it came with before redoing this (only the Nokia smartphones E5, E71, & 6790 contain usable SIMs for this task). If it doesn't work in the Nokia at all, then you'll need to talk to Straight Talk's Customer service before going further. There has been reports that ST sent incompatible SIMs to reconditioned/refurbished Nokias and must have a replacement SIM sent to the customer before it'll work.

Does your phone show at the top left corner one of the following: HOME, ROAM, Straight Talk, or Roaming? If not, you'll probably need to restore your iPhone using a stock version of iOS and see if it'll work without jailbreaking. Without jailbreaking, the phone should show 'HOME' or 'ROAM' when it is working properly.

If your iPhone is an unlocked or AT&T-locked iPhone, you should be able to use the Nokia smartphone SIM to make/receive calls and text messages without the tweaks talked about in this topic. If you can't do that, then one of three things are causing this: you need to unlock your non-at&t iPhone, you need to activate it correctly through iTunes with a compatible SIM, or you need to activate your ST SIM through Straight Talk using the Nokia smartphone purchased with it.

Keep us in the loop on this.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

GenisisDH - you are the man! Thanks for the reply.

Yep - it's the girlfriends phone. She had ST up and running, activated for 4 months on the nokia 6790 slider. The phone broke - so we put the sim in my old iPhone 3g and like you said:
    it said home
    phone calls worked fine
    plain text messages worked fine.

So I followed sn0wbreeze instructions to jailbreak. That seemed to work - I had Cydia... but once jailbroke - it would not register or make calls or texts or anything.

But I moved on to follow your instructions from post 8... And from there on is in my original post.

Am I right - that I don't need to edit my own .ipcc with a plist editor? The file you made is already edited with all of the ST info we need? And all I needed to do was ssh into the phone to put the *.deb file in, reboot twice and then use iTunes to shift-"update" your file into the right place?

After 11 hours on Saturday of trying every iteration I could think of - I had to give up. I restored the phone to stock iOS. Then I followed some other directions from this site : HowTo: StraightTalk and iPhone! Everything you need to know to make it work!

In my 11 hours... I tried every iteration I could think of there as well... But knowing my sweety needed her phone back I ended up just following "method 1" and stop after getting phone, text and data working.

She is all happy now and claims to have only gotten 3 mms messages in her life (all from me).

So chances are I won't get the phone away from her now... unless you teach me how to keep her apps and contacts...

Anyway - thanks again and I would still be interested in the answer as it sounds like all her att friends think this is a great idea...

Thanks,

Thanks

This should be a 4 step deal fisrt jailbreak for the ioson your phone,then go to cydia add source d23 and install the commcenter patch then open your phone in ifunbox go to your carrier.bundles copy your carrier .plist to desktop and put the 3or4 lines of code in with plist editor then copy it back to your carrier file where you got it from close ifun reboot phone then open cmd and run the test code line hit enter and close cmd open itunes and run the .mobileconfig make sure it takes,the lines of code enable the apn,the mobileconfig file puts all the info for the apn settings.and it should send the MMs pic text without any problems.
    All the info is in the thread here, read the commcenter patch info it will give you the lines of code, theres a pdf file,gives the info go to the thread and download all the places to go to get the files,
    Last edited by vtails; 09-20-2011 at 06:44 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Used Straight Talk Nokia
    If I buy one of the Straight Talk Nokia smartphones discussed in this thread used off of ebay without a sim will I be able to get a new sim and activate it in that phone?

I have no experience with Straight Talk so I am not sure what there protocol is, any help is appreciated?

Also does At&t throttle the data speeds given to Straight Talk Phones or is it comparable to an iPhone on ATT?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluebke14 View Post
    If I buy one of the Straight Talk Nokia smartphones discussed in this thread used off of ebay without a sim will I be able to get a new sim and activate it in that phone?

I have no experience with Straight Talk so I am not sure what there protocol is, any help is appreciated?

Also does At&t throttle the data speeds given to Straight Talk Phones or is it comparable to an iPhone on ATT?
    1) Yes
    2) Basically buy the phone, contact Straight Talk's CS number and explain a request to get a new SIM for a new activation. It requires a specific labeled SIM & the reps aren't 100% knowledgable, so it might take more than one attempt. A new SIM usually takes some days to receive (possibly up to two weeks). Once you get a compatible SIM, you'll have to put it in the Nokia phone and call them from a different phone to get it activated. Once that's done, then you can SIM swap.
    3) It's not as throttled as GoPhone but probably not as fast as postpaid iPhones. Also, they will cut you off completely if you abuse it. You're pretty much safe until a 1GB or so per month.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks

I would look at straight talks web site before I bought from ebay they still have refrub. units for sale for 100 bucks,The phones I saw at ebay were alot more than what you get from ST and you really are getting a better deal you'd have a short warranty but it would come complete.I've seen where they took the e71 and 6790 off but they keep showing up,and I think they might have a store pick.Also about the speed I have a friend that has service with ATT and we have tested the speed and there close so I would think the best thing about this would be the monthly savings.
    Last edited by vtails; 10-18-2011 at 06:22 PM.