+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G with Straight Talk..APN info??

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by GenesisDH ...It has to be one the $200 Nokia models (E71/6790). Those are the only ones with the compatible SIM. Thank you GenesisDH. I've done some readings
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    ...It has to be one the $200 Nokia models (E71/6790). Those are the only ones with the compatible SIM.
    Thank you GenesisDH. I've done some readings and got alot of good info from flyguy2000 samuel8614 bmcneely devteamtools but mostly from your posts. Great job. Thank you very much.

The question.
    Why can't we:
    1.Open sim activated in cheap ST phone in some sim editor like Dekart SIM Manager or so and read info.
    2.Open sim activated in E71 and read info.
    3.Clone E71 sim to any 3g card.
    4.Edit with both source sim infos to make it work in iphone.

???
    Last edited by durkh8r; 03-29-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by durkh8r View Post
    Thank you GenesisDH. I've done some readings and got alot of good info from flyguy2000 samuel8614 bmcneely devteamtools but mostly from your posts. Great job. Thank you very much.

The question.
    Why can't we:
    1.Open sim activated in cheap ST phone in some sim editor like Dekart SIM Manager or so and read info.
    2.Open sim activated in E71 and read info.
    3.Clone E71 sim to any 3g card.
    4.Edit with both source sim infos to make it work in iphone.

???
    The problem with the entire situation is that what you're proposing is not only against the TOS of StraightTalk service but can be considered illegal in the US (SIM cloning/modification is illegal in most cases).

Also, only the Nokia phones have a usable SIM, and are solely locked to at&t. Many of ST's dumbphones have T-Mobile SIMs and would not work for this setup (T-Mobile has different APN settings).
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The problem with the entire situation is that what you're proposing is not only against the TOS of StraightTalk service but can be considered illegal in the US (SIM cloning/modification is illegal in most cases).

Also, only the Nokia phones have a usable SIM, and are solely locked to at&t. Many of ST's dumbphones have T-Mobile SIMs and would not work for this setup (T-Mobile has different APN settings).
    Thank you.
    Last edited by durkh8r; 04-04-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks

So I did this and it worked flawlessly, well I had to restore because my iPhone was activated with a different sim so just had to re activate. My only question is will the zip file posted and instructions allow me to use a png file for my carrier logo?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StayyyFlyyy View Post
    So I did this and it worked flawlessly, well I had to restore because my iPhone was activated with a different sim so just had to re activate. My only question is will the zip file posted and instructions allow me to use a png file for my carrier logo?
    if you're using my posted zip file and instructions: You'll have to edit the bundle's contents (or place it in on the right spot to do so, but it should be doable. The names of the png files should be FSO/Default_CARRIER_HOME & FSO/Default_CARRIER_ROAM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

StayyyFlyyy (04-11-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hey GenesisDH, I want to say thank you for helping out. I did get that 3g to work flawlessly and google voice is awesome! But I'm having a problem with my new iphone 4. When I update the carrier file with itunes i get error (0xE800003E). On my laptop it is saying that the carrier file is invalid. I have tried working with that command many ways. My desktop is vista ultimate 64 bit and the laptop is win 7 ultimate. Any help is greatly appreciated. ios is 4.2.1 jb sim is out of nokia 6798.
    Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have a set of instrutions I found that could make getting MMS simpler,who do I contact to see if I am allowed to post the info.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmcneely View Post
    hey GenesisDH, I want to say thank you for helping out. I did get that 3g to work flawlessly and google voice is awesome! But I'm having a problem with my new iphone 4. When I update the carrier file with itunes i get error (0xE800003E). On my laptop it is saying that the carrier file is invalid. I have tried working with that command many ways. My desktop is vista ultimate 64 bit and the laptop is win 7 ultimate. Any help is greatly appreciated. ios is 4.2.1 jb sim is out of nokia 6798.
    Thanks
    Make sure you don't have any tweaks such as FakeCarrier, MakeItMine, or even APN editing tweaks installed on the iPhone. Any carrier tweaks installed via Cydia could potentially make the carrier update fail.

To me it sounds like you're not entering in the carrier-testing command correctly, based on past experience and the errors your computers are spitting out. Make sure you have installed the CommCenter Patch correctly, then you'll have to find out where iTunes is loctaed (its path), and either go to it using Command Prompt and then put in the folling command:
    Code:
    iTunes.exe /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
    That should help some. I've heard both Vista and 7 (64bit) sometimes flakes when it comes to running certain commands in Command Prompt.

If you need any more help, let me know.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I installed plist editor and opened the .ipcc file. Then on the phone I installed ifile and navigated to the AT&T carrier bundle and saw a few differences in the files. So I went through and changed some lines and deleted a few in the AT&T plist. And left it at that. Everything is working perfectly again and it sticks after reboot too. So I'm good now. The command was working but it was saying the file was not compatible. It was finding and recognizing it as an ipcc file, so I'm not sure what was going on there. It's a little time consuming to do it the way I did, but it worked and I'm happy with that.
    Thanks again for all of your help. A lot of us couldn't do this without you!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Oh and I think the fact that I'm on 4.3.1 now might have made some difference. And straight talk did shut my service off the other day. When I called them they had no record of my number whatsoever. So I had an old samsung ($39 phone. I told them I took the sim out and was putting it in that phone and gave them the imei number and the sim number and they activated it again and everything is working once again. In the iPhone 4. OS 4.3.1. . Thanks man!

Thanks

I started editing my files.Went to general->network->cellular data,I changed the MMS section,I changed the MMS Proxy to-> proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80 visual voicemail settings-> acds.voicemail.So I hope this helps,
    Last edited by vtails; 05-06-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: left out APN

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    @vtails. Thanks for the info. But, we've found that doing it that way doesn't always stick after a reboot. Usually the apn settings will reset and u have to go back and change them again. Genesishd has a great guide to a more permanent fix. It's a lil time consuming to setup, but in the long run it's actually saving u time! Please post any questions and info as usual. It helps us all stay on top of things.

Thanks

I did edit some carrier.plist and tried that way but I can tell you did more damage than good lost the camera icon.I did look all over the net and found this solution in another forum some time back,I even found some post from 09 where the person had gotten an E-71 and had it unlocked and was using 3g phone and couldnt get MMS and VVmail,so what i did was the easy way,I found a repo site and download TetherMe it was FREE and went to unlockit and did the apn file,and reboot I was done in in mintues all I changed was what I posted and everything works great at least for the last couple of months,But I still have the comcenter patch and was going to do some editing and maybe give it a try but for now I am just trying some daemom stuff to see if I can speed my old 3G up.I hope this continues I really would like to a I4.
    Last edited by vtails; 05-09-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vtails View Post
    I did edit some carrier.plist and tried that way but I can tell you did more damage than good lost the camera icon.I did look all over the net and found this solution in another forum some time back,I even found some post from 09 where the person had gotten an E-71 and had it unlocked and was using 3g phone and couldnt get MMS and VVmail,so what i did was the easy way,NO PIRATING DISCUSSION and went to unlockit and did the apn file,and reboot I was done in in mintues all I changed was what I posted and everything works great at least for the last couple of months,But I still have the comcenter patch and was going to do some editing and maybe give it a try but for now I am just trying some daemom stuff to see if I can speed my old 3G up.I hope this continues I really would like to a I4.
    Well, it's good to see that you got it working for you. The main reason why I posted my solution is that it is cheaper and easier for those SIM swapping than using TetherMe (which is a paid *no pirating discussion* app and isn't always available for newer firmwares) or doing the mobileconfig route.

I also don't suggest directly editing the carrier plists already on the phone, because weird things do happen and changes aren't always permanent doing that anyway. That includes using item that enable APN editing, such as TetherMe or any Preferences tweaks.

TO ALL: On the bottom of this post is an updated .ipcc file (after modding some items and research into the latest official AT&T bundle) and there is a new place to find more recent CommCenter patches (particularly for those using 4.3.x as Wortel no longer makes CommCenter patches for these firmwares) using the following repo:
    Code:
    http://cydia.d23.com.uy/
    Be sure to follow the directions in the Readme in the zip file and/or my guide post in this topic as far as how to install the patch and files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

My2choyz (07-06-2011), sprackleor (05-15-2011)

Thanks

Maybe all this info should be deleted because when you get right down to it,its all illegal as in pulling that sim,if you read the agreement,as it has been posted so didnt mean too hurt anyone feeling's.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Make sure you don't have any tweaks such as FakeCarrier, MakeItMine, or even APN editing tweaks installed on the iPhone. Any carrier tweaks installed via Cydia could potentially make the carrier update fail.

To me it sounds like you're not entering in the carrier-testing command correctly, based on past experience and the errors your computers are spitting out. Make sure you have installed the CommCenter Patch correctly, then you'll have to find out where iTunes is loctaed (its path), and either go to it using Command Prompt and then put in the folling command:
    Code:
    iTunes.exe /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
    That should help some. I've heard both Vista and 7 (64bit) sometimes flakes when it comes to running certain commands in Command Prompt.

If you need any more help, let me know.
    Hey would a gevey pro sim work without getting that other sim ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vtails View Post
    Maybe all this info should be deleted because when you get right down to it,its all illegal as in pulling that sim,if you read the agreement,as it has been posted so didnt mean too hurt anyone feeling's.
    Copyright infringement (including, but not limited to piracy) is not the same as breach of contract (which you could say using this ST loophole is under). A breach of contract is not criminally illegal according to US law. Copyright infringment is a federal crime, and people infringing copyrights CAN go to jail. That's why piracy is not discussed in this forum at all, it is a crime in the US, other countries or entities like the EU.

Can't really compare the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone-214 View Post
    Hey would a gevey pro sim work without getting that other sim ?
    As in a SIM bundled with a phone other than the Nokia smartphones (E71, 6790, and possible future E5)?
    The Tracfone/Net10/ST SIMs that are in 'dumbphones' are locked to the phone they came with. Not only that, but it's very possible that such a SIM is a T-Mobile SIM and would require different APN settings than is used on the SIMs used in this loophole.

There's nothing stopping you from trying a non-E71/6790 ST SIM with a Gevey or other imposter SIM, but past experience as well as countless reports on a number of forums pretty much says 'no, it won't work.'
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 05-12-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: clarification

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, it's good to see that you got it working for you. The main reason why I posted my solution is that it is cheaper and easier for those SIM swapping than using TetherMe (which is a paid *no pirating discussion* app and isn't always available for newer firmwares) or doing the mobileconfig route.

I also don't suggest directly editing the carrier plists already on the phone, because weird things do happen and changes aren't always permanent doing that anyway. That includes using item that enable APN editing, such as TetherMe or any Preferences tweaks.

TO ALL: On the bottom of this post is an updated .ipcc file (after modding some items and research into the latest official AT&T bundle) and there is a new place to find more recent CommCenter patches (particularly for those using 4.3.x as Wortel no longer makes CommCenter patches for these firmwares) using the following repo:
    Code:
    http://cydia.d23.com.uy/
    Be sure to follow the directions in the Readme in the zip file and/or my guide post in this topic as far as how to install the patch and files.
    Ok I've followed the directions you've given on my iPhone 3GS 4 times now and when I go to the into Settings--->General--->About and look at Carrier it says "Not Available"

What could I possibly be doing wrong? I don't get any errors and everything seems to go alright but yet I have no Carrier/Data/MMS. Only way I can even use the phone is too hook up to Wifi and browse the web.

iPhone 3GS
    Version 4.3.3 (8J2)
    Model MC555LL
    Modem Firmware 05.16.02

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay, so in order for me to use straight talk on my iPhone 3g i need to buy a ST nokia phone?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Genesis or anyone who has successfully activated on ST, when you were setting the account up did you actually activate using the ST phone? Meaning that the first time the SIM was used was in the ST phone and once that was working you just took the SIM out and fired it into your iphone. OR did you go through the activation steps online and first time the SIM was used was in your iphone?
    I'm wondering if the SIM HAS to be used in the ST phone before it can be used in the iphone?

Also I got the commcenter patch from the d23 repo and installed thru cydia but when I updated my carrier bundle and rebooted, the carrier didnt change. My question is should that carrier field in about say Straight Talk by default now or will only say that once you have active service with ST?