+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: email settings with rogers in vancouver

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have tried contacting both rogers and shaw support regarding this but always get different answers so I thought Id come and see if anyone here knows. Can someone tell
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default email settings with rogers in vancouver
    I have tried contacting both rogers and shaw support regarding this but always get different answers so I thought Id come and see if anyone here knows. Can someone tell me what the email settings should be for email pop and smtp settings and SSL and things like that. Basically how I should have everything set on that email settings page. Thanks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

I assume you are referring to a Shaw email account on Rogers data? http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/tips-tr...on-the-iphone/

I recommend getting a GMail account and forwarding your Shaw to Gmail. That's what I do. That way you can use IMAP for syncing your email to multiple machines.
    Last edited by Scoops98; 11-09-2010 at 11:01 PM.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

neo-matrix (11-09-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks Scoops98. One other question about using GMail. If you do set up a GMail account and have it forward your shaw emails to it, will any outgoing emails sent from your phone be sent from your gmail account or can you set it up to be sent from your shaw account?

The main problem Ive been having is with outgoing mail. Incoming seems to work fine whether IM on wifi or 3g but for outgoing I seem to need two seperate smtp servers to send outgoing while on my wifi and one for while IM on 3g.

If I want to send outgoing emails while Im on my wifi connection at home I need to have my smtp server set to: shawmail.vc.shawcable.net

If I want to send outgoing while Im on the 3g network I have to have my outgoing set to: smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com

I have not been able to have them both work at the same time, even if I use that additional outgoing servers list to set them both.
    Last edited by neo-matrix; 11-10-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Thanks

Unfortunately, you can't configure a reply to address on the iPhone. So any email sent from your GMail account will show up as such. GMail is way better anyway. It supports contacts and calendar syncing. And, IMAP is the best feature.

I don't know of a way to have Mail switch SMTPs depending on your connection. Also, if you created a GMail account and use its SMTP for your Shaw, the email shows up as being sent from GMail.

Honestly, best bet is to use GMail.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

hotmail will also be able to use the mail app natively on the iphone.. mabey not as good as gmail but still works fine here.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I set up the gmail account on my phone. Ill have to see how it goes but so far it seems to be working ok. Will have to be on the lookout to see if there's a way to change the outgoing email address in the future. I know there is a way to set it up in the gmail account itself but it doesnt translate over to the phone. Thanks again for the help.

Thanks

No worries. Gmail is the best of the free accounts because it offers free IMAP for both the iPhone and your desktop, and thus, keeping all your devices, including webmail, synced too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

my hotmail account on my phone, outlook client and web all are synced.. you can set it as exchange, most accounts support this now, i think it also does contacts not 100% sure as i disabled it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akafred View Post
    my hotmail account on my phone, outlook client and web all are synced.. you can set it as exchange, most accounts support this now, i think it also does contacts not 100% sure as i disabled it.
    I didn't know you could configure Hotmail as Exchange. Good to know!