+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Data Only Plan search ...

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello! So, I'm on a newly jailbroken iphone 3G, and I'm hoping to find a data only plan for my phone. I've been to an AT&T store, and a t-Mobile
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone Data Only Plan search ...
    Hello!

So, I'm on a newly jailbroken iphone 3G, and I'm hoping to find a data only plan for my phone. I've been to an AT&T store, and a t-Mobile store and they tell me to go away.

Is there a way to get a data only plan somewhere that has a good wireless network in the usa?

I'm completely new at this, so please use small words.

Thanks!

Also, if any of you informed users know that the definitive answer is, "No", please say so so I stop hunting for it. I can't believe that there's a chance that the technology is there, but the legal extortion prevents us from using it. So much for the free market.
    Last edited by dermcgoo; 06-24-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Never show your JB phone to a mobile retail store
    The reps at the store (apple, at&t) will not acknowledge you with a jailbreak for the phone. First it void the warranty, and second your advancing your phone in ways they dont like. Just google data plan only and see what happens. I know this did not advance your situation but try calling around for data only, or maybe just get and ipod touch since you dont seem to want text and voice plan.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to classyV For This Useful Post:

dermcgoo (06-25-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks so much. Funny thing is that I've been looking and looking for "data plan", "data only iphone" and there just seems to be nothing in existence. I say again : so much for the touted american free market. When it's the government, it's oppression. When it's corporations, it's FREEDOM!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It is very possible. I am currently using a 2gb ipad data for $25 a month on my Iphone 4. I just used a 3g ipad to register the micro sim and sign up for the plan. After that you just have to change the apn settings and boom. Sweet Sweet Data only, contract free iphone 4 connectivity. Facetime also works. this works on the 3GS also.

P.S.
    you dont need to jailbreak the device to do this.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RunHopSkipJump View Post
    It is very possible. I am currently using a 2gb ipad data for $25 a month on my Iphone 4. I just used a 3g ipad to register the micro sim and sign up for the plan. After that you just have to change the apn settings and boom. Sweet Sweet Data only, contract free iphone 4 connectivity. Facetime also works. this works on the 3GS also.

P.S.
    you dont need to jailbreak the device to do this.
    Holy crap! That is SO COOL! Can you please elaborate on how to "change the APN settings"? Also, do you have to OWN an iPad, or could you do this on a friend's iPad (even if he already has a data plan setup on it)?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Bahama View Post
    Holy crap! That is SO COOL! Can you please elaborate on how to "change the APN settings"? Also, do you have to OWN an iPad, or could you do this on a friend's iPad (even if he already has a data plan setup on it)?
    You don't need to own a iPad. I am just fortunate that my dad had one. You can use a friends iPad or got to a apple store or best buy to activate a micro sim. Then after activating a iPad data plan on the mirco sim just put it into your iphone 4 or 3gs with an adapter to hold the micro sim in place. Then go to Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone. Once there hit continue, then select Custom APN and finally fill in "Broadband" for the APN. Let the rest on the setting blank and select Create Profile. In the new Screen select to install and install now. After installation 3g and edge should work. You can manage your account via att.com/ipad and enjoy the $25/2GB a month plan. Facetime works too! I use voip to make calls when i don't want to use my verizon phone and use pandora without any issue. I also use Google voice for free text and to forward call to my Voip and Verizon phone. If this was helpful hit that thanks button and post about you experiences. $25 a month for as much Pandora, Email, Text, Voip call and 3g Facetime call I can fit in 2GB is just Awesome!

Tip: Buy a cydia app called iControl to automatically shut off your Edge/3g when you are connected to Wifi. I helps save Data, Battery power and time. Its worth the $1-$3.

References:
    Using a Micro SIM in an iPhone 3G | Hijinks Inc.