+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Project] Tracfone for iPhone

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by hfelsh No, the "bundle" is the Trakfone phone, with the SIM in it, and the accompanying user manual, CD if needed for the phone, any cables, headset,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hfelsh View Post
    No, the "bundle" is the Trakfone phone, with the SIM in it, and the accompanying user manual, CD if needed for the phone, any cables, headset, et. al. Hence, the "bundle" you get from Trakfone.

edit: Spelling

no ur wrong a bundle is for the network settings in the phone files

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

would you be able to share the bundle? and have you gotten your tracfone to try it with??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yerror View Post
    [...So] if anyone has this bundle let me know

nevermind i got the bundle
    Rly?! I've been watching this thread for some time, and it's good to see the awesome work on this. You guys seem <b>very</b> close to allowing tracfone on iphone. Keep up the good work! If I had an iphone, I would help, but I don't . But, I might get one after this project is complete .

Too bad my friend, Wil S., doesn't have an iPH (just a iPT). He claims he helped Comex with the 3.1.3 Spirit JB, and he is a self-proclaimed 4@ck3r. He could probably pwn this project.

Dumb question: if this project were to be completed, hypothetically, does that mean people could use their iPH as a tracfone (as in they can use it like a super-cheap prepaid cellphone)? And if not, how much would using the iPH cost monthly, maybe $affordable/month (*gasp!*)?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Net10 fix would be greatest on ModMyi.. Hope the geeks r listening.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Nice Job!
    Any new accomplishments? This would be awesome if it worked. I'm taking it that those two getting new SIM's never succeeded?

I also found this site interesting...

How to Make Tracfone SIM Card Work in iPhone | eHow.com

But, it seems to be from a very un-scientific point-of-view... like it was never attempted...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Idea
    To prevent sim from locking to tracfone, just buy a new phone with sim, but don't insert sim into tracfone, insert into iphone and then try

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default I have it working
    I have an iphone 3g and a tracfone sim. All u have to do is jailbreak the iphone and then add xsellize as a source in cydia. Then install supreme preferences. Enable Supreme preferences 3.0 in winterboard. Go to settings/supreme preferences 3.0/applications/phone/ and enable cellular data editing.Then go back to the main page in settings and go to general/network/cellular data network and change the apn to say 'att.mvno'. do this for the mms apn as well. Leave everything else alone. It will work just fine. But if you power down the phone, you will have to go back and set the mms apn to att.mvno again. I'm not sure why it does this but I'm guessing it has something to do with supreme preferences.

And I activated my sim in the straight talk phone. I have had no problem with a sim locking to a specific phone. I took it out and put it in the iphone 3g which is on firmware 4.1.2 and is jailbroke. DO NOT UNLOCK YOUR IPHONE!!!!!! It wont work if its unlocked for some reason.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

^That is only adding the apn settings (for internet), not enabling the sim card to be used in the phone.^ it looks like if you buy the sim card unactivated on ebay or take the sim card out a newly bought phone without turning it on first, you might have a shot at it. I'm going to be ordering a Tracfone sim card off ebay shortly to try it, as i think this could be done. I'm getting an AT&T Tracfone card, as t-mobile's service up here is complete s*** and they only have partner service. so in theory i shouldn't need to unlock my phone to use it, but if it pops up as no service then i will be unlocking my 3GS. Wish me the best of luck!

Thanks

Sad news. If you try to activate a new tracfone and put your iPhone's IMEI instead of the Tracfone's IMEI, it will say "The Serial Number you entered was not found in our system. Please check the number and try again." So I don't quite know how to bypass this as of yet. Unless there is a way to fake or change your IMEI though. But I don't know the legality of that

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devteamtools View Post
    Sad news. If you try to activate a new tracfone and put your iPhone's IMEI instead of the Tracfone's IMEI, it will say "The Serial Number you entered was not found in our system. Please check the number and try again." So I don't quite know how to bypass this as of yet. Unless there is a way to fake or change your IMEI though. But I don't know the legality of that
    There's no way to hack the IMEI of a current iPhone. Only the 2G had a way, but that was a long time ago, and even then it only worked for the 'broadcasted' IMEI. The SIM would still see the true IMEI and keep being unusable.
    Also, you have to 'own' the Tracfone the IMEI belongs to, because if you don't you risk cutting somebody's (or your) service off.

bmcneely's method is the same I use. I bought a Nokia ST phone ($200+) and used its SIM in the iPhone. There's tools afterward (see this topic or the Straight Talk forum at HoFo) that will enable web usage.

Thus far only the Straight Talk SIMs bundled with the E71 and 6790 are compatible with non-StraightTalk phones. No other ST, Net10 or Tracfone SIMs have been known to work yet.
    The 'unlocked' SIM's have the following markings on it: TF64PSIMC4
    The P is the major identifier for it being a usable SIM on non-ST phones.

That said, this loophole will probably close soon. There's a limited number of E71/6790s available to buy right now (none online), and America Movil could at any point cut those using this loophole off.

IMO, it's not worth it to attempt getting Tracfone SIMs working on iPhones when there's other options that can offer decent service for similar or better prices vs. Tracfone & Net10. You can get T-Mobile prepaid or at&t GoPhone for cheaper than Tracfone rates nowdays, and there's a ton of MVNO like h2o that offer so much more.
    Only ST has the cheapest bang-for-buck Talk-Text-Web on GSM. Next to that there's Simple Mobile or T-Mobile's prepaid.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks

This is for Tracfone and NOT Straight Talk. Maybe people want a simple occasional calling service or send a text or two, and not pay ludicrous amounts of money. Plus there are still some Tracfone users out there that want to see this happen.

Thanks

I'm taking one last stab at this. I picked up the $10 tracfone package, and right now i'm chatting with someone to see if I can get the SIM Unlock code for my phone specifically. If the SIM card can be unlocked, then it will run in other phones, from all the research that I have done. It also seems that you could possibly get free everything, as long as you add a simple 60 minutes when you need to so you can keep your service going, because since the airtime information is stored on the tracfone itself, if you put it into another phone, then, well, my assumption is near free service. I'll keep you guys updated.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm taking one last stab at this. I picked up the $10 tracfone package, and right now i'm chatting with someone to see if I can get the SIM Unlock code for my phone specifically. If the SIM card can be unlocked, then it will run in other phones, from all the research that I have done. It also seems that you could possibly get free everything, as long as you add a simple 60 minutes when you need to so you can keep your service going, because since the airtime information is stored on the tracfone itself, if you put it into another phone, then, well, my assumption is near free service. I'll keep you guys updated.

Any luck? keep us updated.
    I have a unlocked 2g iphone and tracfone (t-mobile) sim looking to get it to work with the iphone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Has anyone tryed a SIM Card Manager to rewritte on the tracfone simcard? I will be looking into this. I will go to Walmart and buy a cheap phone with hopefully an Att base. With this i hope to manage to find a way to make the sim work with the iphone.
    Any update on calling costumer service and giving them the iphone imei?
    Any update on finding any loopholes with the smartphones on tracfone service?
    Are there any other companies that are like tracfone the would be easier to hack?
    I know that is for tracfone but u have to open to new posibilities.
    Thank you!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i prety much am modding the at&t bundle since tracfones use at&t's network. so its similar, but not close where it needs to be. plus i need tracfone sim card numbers to add to the file, (i tried with little success) and of course the APN settings.
    Not necessarily AT&T. Tracfone just uses the nearest cellphone tower that they have a deal with. Right now they have deals with T-Mobile, AT&T, and a few others...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gamer765 View Post
    For the MCC/MNC, you can put the SIM in the phone, let the phone recognize the network, go to the phone app, dial *3001#12345#* to get into Field Test mode. Then go to MM Info > Serving PLMN and there should be your Mobile Country Code (MCC) and Mobile Network Code (MNC). Post all your MCC/MNC, those that have Tracfone, then compile it into the carrier bundle. All that's left is the APN. For that try calling the company and make a bs excuse for them to give it to you (phone is asking for APN to access data (lol, that's not really bs though, the iPhone IS asking for the APN, just try until you get lucky)).

my MCC = 310
    my MNC = 260

*EDIT - Location Area Code = 32168 ........ just in case
    SIM card ICCID = 8901 4103 2549 0959 1194

at ur service :-)
    Last edited by hroub; 01-29-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Add my Tracfone SIM card ICCID

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anybody reading this should immediately watch this video, which is a breakthrough for this topic...
    iPhone 3G on tracfone service - YouTube
    ...and check out my "part 2" continuation of this thread...
    Tracfone for iPhone (Part 2)

Basically bmcneely was on the right track over a year before it was proven to work. I have some issues with the video method since it was vague in some areas that I think are important. I'll give a full description as soon as I get it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey, i'm new here but i saw people working on this so i tried it myself with a buddy of mine. It seems that it hasnt been looked at for a while, but at least it has this year so i thought i might share were i got. I have an iPhone 3g and set it up exactly like in the video (iOS 3.0 and BB 06.15.00) and so far we were able to get the sim unlock code for my tracfone (lg500g) and it will recognize that i have 1 new voice mail but i have no service. We activated it using its original att sim card and have been able to get it to recognize the att network with the tracfone sim card. once. We also believe the "sim failure" or "invalid sim" comes from the baseband not being 06.15.00.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I would be glad to help you and others further but my circumstances forced me to give up almost 3 months ago. If I would've had more time I would still be trying right now. But before I gave up I made two text documents outlining what I tried that I've attached for you to read over. At the time I expended all the possibilities that I had in my head but none really got me closer to it working.

You'll see that I did everything that you have been trying and I never got it to actually connect. The only thing I didn't do is "get the sim unlock code for my tracfone". What do you mean by that because I quickly doubted that unlocking the sim or the phone would be important? As for the "sim failure"/"invalid sim" messages, I had the 06.15.00 baseband in the same never been unlocked state and I got these errors frequently, as you can see in Details and Details2 text documents.

Basically anything beyond what I've already discussed in the text documents and in the forum I won't be able to test myself but I'd still be glad to offer help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

By saying i got the sim unlock code i mean i got the PUK code (pin unlock code) to change my sim's PIN number. I figured it was almost the same thing. I did that because i have been told by tracfone that each sim is locked to the phone it is sold with, so i thought i may need to unlock it to get somewhere. As for the "sim failure / invalid sim" messages, i never get those anymore and if it isnt the baseband i'm not entirely sure why. I'll keep poking at it because i have time, i appreciate you guys taking yours to get this far and i will read those files you've attached. Thanks.