+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any UK Providers with Prepaid Talk and Data for iPhone?

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am from Canada with a 3G & 3GS on the Rogers network. My phones are both still running 3.0.1 and are jailbroken with redsn0w and unlocked with ultrasn0w. I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Any UK Providers with Prepaid Talk and Data for iPhone?
    I am from Canada with a 3G & 3GS on the Rogers network. My phones are both still running 3.0.1 and are jailbroken with redsn0w and unlocked with ultrasn0w. I am taking a trip to the UK (London and surrounding area) in October.

1) Are there any GSM providers in the UK that offer prepaid plans with both talk and data and that will work with the iPhone? Are the data costs reasonable? (We're expecting to use anywhere from 50MB - 200MB per iPhone during our trip - if we have data)

2) Do they offer 3G speeds on these prepaid plans?

3) Can I activate a SIM Card from one of these providers without being a resident of the country? (I'm assuming 'yes', but I just thought I'd ask)

Thanks!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 490 Posts

O2 UK offers a "pay as you go" sim card, but also offer a "bolt on" (10/month) for unlimited internet access.Just pop into an O2 shop and get a prepaid sim card, I paid 15 for mine with 15 credit on it.
    Vodafone UK only offers a "Flexi pack" to contracts (7.50/month), but prepaid sim card user have to pay 50p/day for internet access.
    Hence I am moving from Vodafone to O2 with my prepaid sim.
    London should have a good 3G coverage with plenty of WiFi hotspots, unlike where I live with no 3G coverage and rather bad signal strength (rural England).
    Last edited by rasputin007; 09-17-2009 at 05:03 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default What about Orange?
    What about Orange? I've been doing a bit of reading and research on their site and it appears that they might be good for prepaid iPhone use too. However, they say they have a prepaid data plan, but I can't find it anywhere on their site. It does look like they have WAY better coverage than either O2 or Vodafone. Is anyone using Orange pay as you go with the iPhone? How's the data speeds? Can you get 3G?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 490 Posts

I had an Orange UK prepaid sim card, which I bought because Orange UK offered to unlock my Orange UK locked MotoRAZR2 V8 for 20 (to be taken from sim card credit). Somehow they forgot to mention that I need to be a Orange UK member for 3 month before they would give me the unlock code, which they told me AFTER I bought the simcard with credit. Since then I only used that sim card for V8 modding purpose.
    Whatever provider you choose the coverage should be OK in London, also regarding 3G coverage.
    From my experience UK provider branches are helpful as long as you throw money at them.
    Please check out T-Mobile as well as they might have some interesting offers for prepaid and data plan. I do not use T-Mobile (apart from a german T-Mobile prepaid sim card which I use when I am in Germany), as their coverage is very patchy in rural England, which is true for most of the UK providers. As I work in different locations in rural England I often have No Service, which is quite bad as I got very important calls now twice hours later.
    Another choice might be Virgin prepaid sim card.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    probably best to use O2 as the official carrier as it means you wont spend for ever fiddling with the settings. When I put my O2 Sim into the iphone it automatically adjust all the settings for the O2 network and works straight away. You can have unlimited eb access for 10 per month and evenings and weekends for 7.50. Sims are available free from the O2 website but shipping to terrance and phil land might be an issue.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

right for o2 the plan is unlimited web and wifi using cloud,the sim is free as long as u put 10 at the time u get it, the web n wifi is valid for 12months the 10 then can be used on calls etc,or if u change the tariff its on to o2 unlimited then for 15 every 30days u will also get unlimited o2 to o2 calls and text.
    if u have a unlocked iphone or a iphone u have updated the software then u need to change the settings for the web to the following
    payand go cellular data,visual voicemail,mms change to the following
    apn- payandgo.o2.co.uk
    username- vertigo
    password- password

for contract
    change apn to mobile.o2.co.uk
    and mms apn needs to be wap.o2.co.uk
    everything else is the same as payandgo.