+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Enable tethering on other carrier

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm trying to figure out how to enable tethering on my iPhone 3g running OS 3.0.1. All the directions I can seem to find say to either go to a
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Enable tethering on other carrier
    I'm trying to figure out how to enable tethering on my iPhone 3g running OS 3.0.1. All the directions I can seem to find say to either go to a website and download a file for your carrier, or else to edit a file in your user/library/itunes folder. The problem with the first approach is that the only two cariers listed for the US are T-moble and AT&T, neither of which I am using (I'm on GCI, and yes, my iPhone work great). The problem with the second approach is that the file specified does not exist on my computer. Actually, the directory the file is supposed to be in (something like carrier support bundles) doesn't exist. So is there any way I can enable tethering? Thanks.

Thanks

U can try PDANet in Cydia

Also read my post here: 2G tethering on 3.0?
    Last edited by sursture; 09-07-2009 at 01:53 PM.
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sursture View Post
    U can try PDANet in Cydia
    I've looked at that app, but that's not what I am asking about or looking for. For one thing, I don't want to spend $30 for a feature that is built-into my iPhone already. For another, that requires both the wireless and the cellular radios in my iphone to be highly active at the same time, which no doubt will kill the battery life. Thirdly, while it appears to work fairly well, it just feels rather kludgy. With the built-in solution, I can just plug my iPhone into my mac and go - no muss, no fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by sursture View Post
    Also read my post here: 2G tethering on 3.0?
    While those are good suggestions, both are a lot of work, and the directions are very windows-centric, from what I saw. In any case, neither will allow me to use the built-in tethering functionality of the iPhone.

I have an iPhone 3G. I even have a provider that officially allows tethering (although they don't, obviously, carry the iPhone). Enabling tethering on either the AT&T or T-Mobile network is trival- just visit a web site. I find it hard to accept that I can't enable tethering at all on my device just because I'm not using one of the two major US carriers. How can I get this working- and I do mean really working, not just some third-party app work-around? Thanks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Try using help.benm.at. You can create a custom config file.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EricJD For This Useful Post:

macavenger (09-09-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EricJD View Post
    Try using help.benm.at. You can create a custom config file.
    Ah, so you can. I hadn't scrolled down far enough to see that- I just saw all the pre-made configs, which didn't include my carrier, and thought that was the end if it. Worked like a charm, thanks!