Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: hack a verizon phone and itouch...

Default hack a verizon phone and itouch...
    So, I have an idea and wanted some feedback. Could a verizon phone be taken apart and added to an itouch to make an 'iphone' like device?

This is the more detailed description: From the bottom port of the itouch, information can be transmitted and recieved (for example you can dock it and control the itouch in the base unit, not the ipod itself). I am not 100% on this, but if the phone just needed tone dialing, the itouch could have a 3rd party app made that can dial a tone to the mic when you press 'send' in the app. The mic and speaker would be from the verizon phone though.

Another idea is if the phone does NOT use tone dialing, then just make a microcontroller do it. For instance, the ipod would output serial data to the controller, then it would manually switch the keypad on the phone to make the call.

So this would require both hardware hacking as well as software... is this a reasonable goal??

one last thing, I don't care if there is no such thing as an 'itouch', it is way easier than saying ipod touch everytime so shut up

What are you smoking! the thing is real Good!

Keep doing so! you will be the next Steve Jobs!

Quote Originally Posted by reaper0995 View Post
    So, I have an idea and wanted some feedback. Could a verizon phone be taken apart and added to an itouch to make an 'iphone' like device?

This is the more detailed description: From the bottom port of the itouch, information can be transmitted and recieved (for example you can dock it and control the itouch in the base unit, not the ipod itself). I am not 100% on this, but if the phone just needed tone dialing, the itouch could have a 3rd party app made that can dial a tone to the mic when you press 'send' in the app. The mic and speaker would be from the verizon phone though.

Another idea is if the phone does NOT use tone dialing, then just make a microcontroller do it. For instance, the ipod would output serial data to the controller, then it would manually switch the keypad on the phone to make the call.

So this would require both hardware hacking as well as software... is this a reasonable goal??

one last thing, I don't care if there is no such thing as an 'itouch', it is way easier than saying ipod touch everytime so shut up
    Closet thing your are going to get a Verizon iPhone
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN_dqU-n-cQ]YouTube - Unlock iPhone 3G for Verizon / Sprint Scam[/ame]

ok, so maybe my point is not understood...

Is it possible to make a 3rd party app of some sort that can make an itouch screen light up? For instance, could some serial data be sent into the port and the app (always running in the background) would recognize it and turn the screen on with a slide to answer showing on the screen? Then could the app send back serial data once the user slides to answer?

Breakdown of what I just said:
    1. verizon phone recieves call.
    2. microcontroller recieves signal from phone's ringer.
    3. microsontroller sends serial (other?) data to itouch.
    4. itouch 'turns on' with slide to answer showing.
    5. user slides to answer call.
    6. screen changes to (3rd party) call app.
    7. itouch sends serial to microcontroller saying call is answered.
    8. microcontroller selects 'send' button on verizon phone.

The microcontroller and phone hacking are pretty straight forward, BUT can the itouch send/recieve data like this and unlock itself in this manner? So you would have to have a normal to to unlock screen, and another slide to answer screen.

text messaging would be somewhat difficult, but after a call could be placed then it would only be circuit logic and programming logic on order of operations. Obviously no data.

What you are looking towards is this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Touchscreen-Bluetooth-Portable-Player/dp/B000VQ7ZK6]Amazon.com: Samsung P2 8 GB Touchscreen Bluetooth Portable Media Player (Black): Electronics[/ame]

It simply uses Bluetooth to connect the two devices.

Thanks

Why would you want to do this other than have a fake wannabe iPhone? It would probably be easier to hardware mod the actual iPhone to work on verizon than get a touch to do what you want. Now if you could figure out how to get the verizon radio to work with iPhone hardware, you'd be rich overnight. Good luck on all of this. Let us kno how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    Why would you want to do this other than have a fake wannabe iPhone? It would probably be easier to hardware mod the actual iPhone to work on verizon than get a touch to do what you want. Now if you could figure out how to get the verizon radio to work with iPhone hardware, you'd be rich overnight. Good luck on all of this. Let us kno how it works out.

Why do I want to: I have a long contract with verizon and want an iphone. all the verizon phones suck, and there is like 1 phone ever that can wifi!!!

And as far hacking the iphone itself, that would be a crazy nightmare. I would have to desolder the GSM chips and back hack out the logic it uses to send a signal, then find out how a verizon chip works, and make something that can convert the signal on the fly. Not an easy task lol. The method I have is not easy, but it can be taken in small chunks and is doable. I do not have the skills by any means to hack out the actual chipset in iphone and replace it with the verizon ones.