+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock iphone works in Afghanistan carrier, BUT

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by rpoosua Please turn on your spell check....if you don't have one, I can send you my WEBSTER. Did I misspell something, well shoot me 1 thread is
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rpoosua View Post
    Please turn on your spell check....if you don't have one, I can send you my WEBSTER.
    Did I misspell something, well shoot me
    1 thread is enough to get your point across. 2 threads makes you look like a spammer. cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^As amazingly funny as that was....I had to remove it

But I was ROFLMMFAO.
    Well, thanks for being cool about it and I'm glad you enjoyed it. One of my favorite treasures of the interwebz.
    Respect your elders.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    Did I misspell something, well shoot me
    1 thread is enough to get your point across. 2 threads makes you look like a spammer. cheers
    Sorry, Broom. I din't mean you about "WEBSTER". I meant the guy above. Plax**. Thanks man....

Unlock & PWNED!8gig iPhone 2.1
    Carrier|AT&T-AIS|TRUE
    MacBook|2.4GHZ|4gig RAM|120gig HDD

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I actually appreciated seeing this post. I'm in the process of accepting an offer to go over to Afghanistan for a year (big money!) as a contractor and was just searching on whether or not it would make sense to bring my iphone. I think I'll just cancel my contract & sell it before I deploy instead of bring it if I can barely use it or it could potentially get taken from me (I've already confirmed that if you connect any personal devices to government networks - it is taken & destroyed on the spot; this included laptops, ipads, and USB sticks, cameras, etc).

Green Apple
    Thanks

Don't forget that the country is at war. its highly possible that this information are accurate.

Green Apple
    Thanks

UPDATE:

I've left Sharana AO, Afghanistan back in May 2010 finishing up the transition from KBR to Fluor. KBR is no longer in charge of AFG theater. With Fluor I think you could bring your iPhone to BAF, and Sharana AO. I've seen other people have them. In Kandahar that I coudn't tell you. You be lucky if you find WiFi at your camp and you could sign up service with them this is usually around $80 and up. I just came back from Camp Delta G3 since Dec 2010 and B-site is still banning cell phone in Iraq. FYI.

Unlock & PWNED!8gig iPhone 2.1
    Carrier|AT&T-AIS|TRUE
    MacBook|2.4GHZ|4gig RAM|120gig HDD

Thanks

I figure considering there are apps that will open garage doors and such its probably not much of a stretch to imagine using the iphone to detonate bombs etc.
    Mind you, it no big secret that regular cells can do the same.
    Could possibly be with apps like MyWi and such maybe iphones are a threat to soldiers private intel links or something. Who knows.
    It doesn't make much sense that they would take an iphone away but not a regular cell unless of course the soldiers want an iphone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riverratt View Post
    It doesn't make much sense that they would take an iphone away but not a regular cell unless of course the soldiers want an iphone.
    OP clearly stated the issue with the iPhone is that the battery is non-removable

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Update
    Just an update - I've been in Afghanistan for 2 months now and have my iPhone. As a matter of fact, iPhones are everywhere - and they are not being confiscated - unless you were to connect it to a government computer or network. But you can have one and use it all over the place.
    Cell phones are everywhere. Certain places may make you turn them off - or not bring them into secure spaces - but that's about it. As far as the thing about the iPhones battery - I call BS. For starters, you can put it into airplane mode & just turn all radio off. Seondly, I have yet to have anyone say a single thing to me about my cell phone or iPhone ANYWHERE I've gone.
    With that said - I haven't been using my iphone for actual calls yet. Still waiting for an unlock for my particular baseband

Oh - and I picked up an Otterbox Defender case prior to coming out here. Great case - BUT - I wish I brought my old case with me too. I really don't need such a protective case for the type of work I do & the type of places I work & live. I very easily can just slip it in & out of my pocket. Sure, there's dust - but its easier to clean it off WITHOUT the Otterbox case on it.

Just thought I'd pass along some valid information from my experience.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    skynfats: There are some places in AF where the entire FOB is considered sensitive and cell phones are not allowed at all unless the battery is removed. Even in airplane mode signals can be sent to and recieved from an iPhone. Granted, software must be installed covertly on the phone for this to be done, however if it is installed, the microphone and the transmitter can be activated to create a listening device without the operators knowlege. This would create a huge operational security breech. Since the battery cannot be removed on the iPhone, they are confiscated and/or destroyed to prevent this from happening.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the information, I go to Afghanistan all the time... Actually, Lots of people work out here, more than most of the fat asses sitting on their couch playing video games "pretending" to be soldiers realize.

The Info was useful to me, ignore these other idiots.... Oh, and thanks for being smart enough to use spell check ;-)

Cheers!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12