+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: data charges with rogers...help me understand

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok so I phoned rogers and got a data plan set up and those cocks told me that if I was using my wifi that i would not be charged
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default data charges with rogers...help me understand
    Ok so I phoned rogers and got a data plan set up and those cocks told me that if I was using my wifi that i would not be charged for download... Sure enough I get my bill and I have $100 in extra charges. I can them and ***** at them and they take 50 of it off.

Now how does it exactly work. I read that as long as your on wifi downloading the installer programs would be using my home internet and not the phone's internet but they told me that anything I browse or download regardless of being on wifi or not I will be charged for.

Is this right?

PS I hate rogers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by czapski View Post
    Ok so I phoned rogers and got a data plan set up and those cocks told me that if I was using my wifi that i would not be charged for download... Sure enough I get my bill and I have $100 in extra charges. I can them and ***** at them and they take 50 of it off.

Now how does it exactly work. I read that as long as your on wifi downloading the installer programs would be using my home internet and not the phone's internet but they told me that anything I browse or download regardless of being on wifi or not I will be charged for.

Is this right?

PS I hate rogers
    Funny. I just explained this in another thread.

And the answer is no, WiFi is not always free. To be more specific, WiFi is simply the protocol being used, it depends on what server you're connecting to which determines if its free or not.

For instance, if you're connecting to your home wireless router through your iPhone, it's absolutely free. BUT, if you're connecting to any commercial servers: In/outside a cafe (starbucks, timmy's, second cup), or in a mall (outside an Apple store), and other such places, you're likely going to be charged for data usage.

Good ways to tell if you will incur charges:

1. The establishment you're at says it offers WiFi/Hotspots "as a service".
    2. You're asked to log into the server.
    3. When you connect, a webpage automatically opens up.
    4. You're asked for a credit card number (duh).
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    seee but thats the thing I've only used wifi at home and still in one day. I dunno what I downloaded. It was $100 that one day.

I think I am just gonna cool it with the wifi till my next bill comes. See what that bill is.

Thanks

seee but thats the thing I've only used wifi at home and still in one day. I dunno what I downloaded. It was $100 that one day.

I think I am just gonna cool it with the wifi till my next bill comes. See what that bill is.
    Which comes to the next part. If your Wifi fails, or disconnects, you're iPhone will automatically resort to EDGE. When you're downloading, always be sure to check in the menu if you have the Wifi symbol or the little E.

I'm with Rogers and use my home router on a daily basis, no charges whatsoever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone The Punisher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Which comes to the next part. If your Wifi fails, or disconnects, you're iPhone will automatically resort to EDGE. When you're downloading, always be sure to check in the menu if you have the Wifi symbol or the little E.

I'm with Rogers and use my home router on a daily basis, no charges whatsoever.
    Yup same here. I even have Edge disabled and turn it on when i need to use it outside of my wifi range.

I am however on that vision plan from rogers so i could use edge non stop for the next 3 months and not get billed. But i figure i might as well just use it when i really need it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default vision plan?
    Vision plan? What's that and how much did/does it cost?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I was told there is a little bug with the iPhone that even if your using wifi the iPhone still sends out a kb or 2 when connecting. The best idea I can suggest is that if you don't know edge and how wireless Internet works remove your carriers Internet settings you are headed for massive Internet bills without a correct data plan. Btw rogers data plans are not cheap I've removed my edge settings and only use wifi because rogers charges 5 cents per kb which is expensive!!!!!!!!!

Be warned if you don't know the rates or don't have a data plan remove your settings don't turn them off erase the settings!!! I work for rogers and trust me they remove the charges once maybe twice but the third time if your nailed with a bill ignorance is not an excuse and I think that goes with any carrier.

Lighter

Quote Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post
    Yup same here. I even have Edge disabled and turn it on when i need to use it outside of my wifi range.

I am however on that vision plan from rogers so i could use edge non stop for the next 3 months and not get billed. But i figure i might as well just use it when i really need it.
    Last edited by lighter; 11-16-2007 at 04:35 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is this right?

PS I hate rogers
    Hey there

Not sure if your question got answered yet....

Couple things to consider. Your iPhone wifi will automatically shutdown after a certain amount of time to conserve battery power. It will automatically re-connect to any wifi AP that you have been previously connected to before as soon as you access Safari or eMail however if it fails to connect it will automatically "downshift" and try to connect to EDGE!! If you have WPA or WEP enabled on your wifi AP it can take a bit longer to handshake and even this could allow for a bit of EDGE bandwidth while your phone is connecting to your AP. This could explain the few kb of charges someone else mentioned. An option that I'm not fond of. To use the phone on Rogers as I am without getting any extra charges for data you must blow away all EDGE settings. You can do this by going to "settings then general then network then EDGE. Delete everything in the three fields in there and you will not be charged for any more data. You may however be annoyed with the ocasional "you are not subscribed to EDGE" message if you try to use email or browser when you are NOT in a wifi hotspot.

To further that comment about not all wifi being free... In my experience the only time you ever get charged for wifi is in hotels or public/private wifi hotspots that requires credit card information BEFORE you gain access. I have been WAR driving long before iPhone came along and since iPhone and have never been automatically charged for any wifi. Accept of course paying for my own internet connection at home.

<rant>
    The Rogers Vision is not a data plan! It is a collection of "communication" type things you can have on your plan but you still get charged through the arse for data unless it is within the rogers mobile internet zone. The ONLY deal you can get through rogers for data will bring the price down to $.03/kb that is 3 cents PER Kilobyte!!! Not much of a savings over their per use charges of $.05/kb. Unbelievablely ridiculous amount of money. For example the rogers.com main page is 96kb in size. Thus it would cost $2.88 just to surf to Rogers on your phone!!! Google.ca is 13kb which equals $.40. modmyi.com is 430kb which equals $13 for one page!! You can do the math right? It would be cheaper to have an unlimited data account with AT&T in the States and pay roaming fees than it would be to pay Rogers for Data. That is pathetic.

I also heard a rumour that the ONLY reason that Apple iPhone is not available in Canada is because Apple insisted that if Rogers was going to sell iPhone, Rogers must roll out an unlimited data cell phone package. Rogers, refused so Apple refused to let Rogers sell them. WAKE UP ROGERS!!!! Join the rest of North America and come up with REASONABLE data packages!!!

If anyone is interested I also found this petition for Rogers Data plan to be cheaper. You can find it here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/iPhone99/petition.html
    </rant>

Sorry for the rant and I hope I may have helped.

Thanks

Just like you said you heard a rumour about apple not coming because of a data issue. Let's dismay that rumour. The reason that apple didn't bring the iPhone to the Canadian population is because we lacking exactly that. Canada doesn't have a big enough of a market and they rather have focused on launching it in Europe first. It has nothing to do with unlimited data. Rogers has already put in place device specific data plans. Rogers is able do that based imei. You can already get an aircard or pocket pc data package for the iPhone.

Rogers actually has a data plan made which is going to be approx $40 which will give you unlimited data.

So like you said the data issue is just a rumour it has nothing to do with the iPhone not coming to Canada and as far as your petition goes no matter how many people sign it, its not going to help for the simple reason that rogers prices are based on their competitors prices and on how many customers use data. If you are trying to compare rogers to a us carrier also think of how many customers just one us carrier has compared to rogers some 7 odd million where as tmobile in the early 2000s had something like 12 so there's a big difference and basically prices will not decrease that drasticly.

Lighter

Quote Originally Posted by Ookpic View Post

I also heard a rumour that the ONLY reason that Apple iPhone is not available in Canada is because Apple insisted that if Rogers was going to sell iPhone, Rogers must roll out an unlimited data cell phone package. Rogers, refused so Apple refused to let Rogers sell them. WAKE UP ROGERS!!!! Join the rest of North America and come up with REASONABLE data packages!!!

If anyone is interested I also found this petition for Rogers Data plan to be cheaper. You can find it here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/iPhone99/petition.html
    </rant>

Sorry for the rant and I hope I may have helped.

iPhone? More like MyPhone The Punisher's Avatar
    Thanks

<rant>
    The Rogers Vision is not a data plan! It is a collection of "communication" type things you can have on your plan but you still get charged through the arse for data unless it is within the rogers mobile internet zone.
    Data is data, rogers can't diferentiate if you are using wap sites or just regular sites. Your claim that you will get charged usage even on the vision plan is false. Vision plan offers 3 months of unlimited data, doesn't matter how you use it. Others on the vision plan have reported that they have no incurred any data charges.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    ok so I will go into settings and disable the edge settings for now.

However, can I just change or delete one of the boxes instead of all of them incase I need to use the EDGE. I don't want to have to retype everything if I don't have to.

As for the wifi I have only used my own wifi it's password protected and its the only wifi I ever use.

After reading alot of this it's starting to make sense why I got a friggin 100 in charges.....

I can tell you right now if any other GSM carrier ever comes to Canada I am paying the 200 to opt out of my plan and telling rogers to go **** themselves.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
    Just like you said you heard a rumour about apple not coming because of a data issue. Let's dismay that rumour.
    That's why I said rumour. Thanks for clarifying!

Rogers actually has a data plan made which is going to be approx $40 which will give you unlimited data.
    Where and how do you sign up for this account? I've been all over the rogers site so help me out here with a link. Thanks!

as far as your petition goes
    Not MY petition just to clarify. However I did sign it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post
    Data is data, rogers can't diferentiate if you are using wap sites or just regular sites. Your claim that you will get charged usage even on the vision plan is false. Vision plan offers 3 months of unlimited data, doesn't matter how you use it. Others on the vision plan have reported that they have no incurred any data charges.
    I realize that data is data and vision may include unlimited data but it's only for 3 months so I don't consider that a data plan, I think of that more of a "suck you in for 3 months and get you hooked" and then charge the crap out of you when you forget to disable data after 3 months.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by Ookpic; 11-18-2007 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Hey,

Sorry I didn't me to come off arrogant, I only wrote all of that because everyday at work I hear talking about who this and that ...

The data plan will be out as soon as the iphone launches, I've been speaking to my RAR and DBM. There just point of contact for retailers and dealers. For now if you want to get it the best value is the pocket pc data package which are:

$60 for 30 MB and $7/MB per additional or $80 for 500 MB and $3/MB per additional.

I agree the current data plans suck. Its just a matter of a couple months when we get a much more cost effective data plan which is needed.

I know that what I've wrote is not exactly what you may have been looking for but trust me its not that far away. To be completely honest with you, I am totally content with my iphone and wifi for now =)

Lighter

That's why I said rumour. Thanks for clarifying!

Where and how do you sign up for this account? I've been all over the rogers site so help me out here with a link. Thanks!

Not MY petition just to clarify. However I did sign it.

Thanks for the feedback!

I realize that data is data and vision may include unlimited data but it's only for 3 months so I don't consider that a data plan, I think of that more of a "suck you in for 3 months and get you hooked" and then charge the crap out of you when you forget to disable data after 3 months.

Thanks for the feedback!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey,

Sorry I didn't me to come off arrogant, I only wrote all of that because everyday at work I hear talking about who this and that ...

The data plan will be out as soon as the iphone launches, I've been speaking to my RAR and DBM. There just point of contact for retailers and dealers. For now if you want to get it the best value is the pocket pc data package which are:

$60 for 30 MB and $7/MB per additional or $80 for 500 MB and $3/MB per additional.

I agree the current data plans suck. Its just a matter of a couple months when we get a much more cost effective data plan which is needed.

I know that what I've wrote is not exactly what you may have been looking for but trust me its not that far away. To be completely honest with you, I am totally content with my iphone and wifi for now =)

Lighter
    Hey I didn't take your comment as being arrogant at all, don't sweat it. It's all good feedback!!!

As for current data packages, I stay firm in my comment and yours that they suck!! LOL As for this new data package, I'm extremely interested!

As for living without "EDGE", I'm with you. I have absolutely no problems with living with WIFI and standard cell service. All you have to do is walk down the street and every third house has unsecured WIFI anyway <grin> I am not that connected that I absolutely need to have instant email notification when I'm like in my car on the way to work. It's all about the "coolness" factor for me. I love my iPhone!

On another note, my ranting about Rogers Data prices aside. I am very happy with all other aspects of my service from Rogers. The customer support is leaps and bounds above Bell for sure. In fact when I got a $1100 cell bill 2 months ago and called to say that I had signed up for an international long distance plan prior to making all the calls, Rogers simply said "no problem sir. You are a great customer, we'll just wipe ALL calls and charges you made internationally last month." This is AWESOME!! Knocked over $700 off my bill with 2 phone calls. Never will anyone get that with Bell.

Just thought I'd share the good with the bad. Cheers!

Thanks
    Cool Rogers Data Plan
    I just recently sign up with Rogers on a Data plan after being slammed with a $1600 dollars month data phone bill about one week of Edge usage on Rogers ( not really usage the settings were there and the phone kept on updating without my knowledge )
    * Removing (erasing ) the settings wouldn't do it because the phone keep it on memory...had to do Network reset settings...or better yet install services and choose disable Edge. Learned the hard way...Lolol
    No complaints with customer service they were good to me drooping it to about $600 dollars bill after talking to them.
    They didn't drop everything because I had been warned back in july when
    they eliminate a $300 bill after a I used my Samsung phone as a modem for my laptop....Lololol

Now my Data plan on Rogers is $65 month for 1GB of data on a two year contract.
    If I decide to cancel it will be $5 per month for the remain of the contract to a maximum of $100 consolation fee. which is a lot less than $1600 bill....

Thanks

Are you guys also aware you can simply call Rogers and ask for an "Internet Block"? This will disable your EDGE from Rogers' network side but will not interfere with your WiFi. It's free to block this service.

Thanks

First ensure you have the highest data plan offered for regular consumers (not corporate) which is $65.00 MSF for 1 GB (1024 MB) data with overage $3.00/MB (only cost $0.01/KB while roaming in the USA and $0.05/KB while roaming in other international countries), requires a 3 year term renewal/sign-up commitment with ECF (month to month not optional). If you don't then call Rogers Data Customer Care line 1-866-931-DATA (3282). Do not call the regular Wireless Customer Care line as you'll most likely get a non-trained CSC (Customer Service Consultant) that isn't familiar with data plans for smartphones (all-in-one data devices). This data plan covers browsing the internet, using services such as the weather application on the iPhone, email and downloading applications (free applications) through installer.app. It will not cover downloading pay per use services such as games, ringtunes/realtrax, premium services, etc.

As for the question regarding WIFI it's free at WIFI Hotspots which offer a free WIFI connection but not free at for example places that don't such as Starbucks and Chapters/Indigo. With the latter you'll be accessing the Hotspot on a pay per use service and is set-up through the Hotspot home page at each location. See http://www.canadianhotspot.ca/ for more info. If you have a WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network) at home that already has an internet service then you can set-up your iPhone to use this connection when in range of your home. The iPhone once set-up will auto-detect your home WLAN when in range. This can be confirmed when the top tool bar on the iPhone changes the "E" for EDGE to a symbol that looks like several curved lines on top of each other. If you don't first check to see if the WIFI is connected and then access the browser or download apps through installer.app you will be using EDGE which takes away from your chosen data plan.

WARNING: Do not get a Vision Plan for the iPhone. I've seen a lot of people try to recommend these for use on the iPhone and it's not going to be useful Reason is the iPhone uses more data in an average users monthly usage than regular cellphones. Also the Vision Plan is intended for cellular phones on Rogers network that support HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) not EDGE and even then the data plan included is to small.

SOHO: MacBook Pro, iMac, Maya, Shake, FCS 2, iLife, iWork, Office, Time Capsule, iPhone 3G 16GB

Green Apple
    Thanks

good info for canadian iphone users.
    I personally am using fido as my carrier and havent subscribed to edge.
    I use wifi @ home within my network and at work. other than that I know i wont get a consistent, reliable wifi connection any where else but i'm totally cool with it.

on a side note, i heard a rumor that in february there will be some hearings to determine whether Rogers and Bell hold monopolies in their technical arenas and there may be more choices available as far as cell carriers in the new year.
    this probably wont mean much initially but eventually it could mean lower data plans from the bigger fish in the pool to keep a strangle hold on the market.

(fingers crossed)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iFokust View Post
    i heard a rumor that in february there will be some hearings to determine whether Rogers and Bell hold monopolies in their technical arenas and there may be more choices available as far as cell carriers in the new year.
    this probably wont mean much initially but eventually it could mean lower data plans from the bigger fish in the pool to keep a strangle hold on the market.

(fingers crossed)
    Don't think it'll amount to much, see thing is Rogers and Bell put up their own towers, with their own money. So anyone trying to get into the wireless business now is going to have to rent usage off those towers at sky high prices. Savings to the consumer? nil.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Don't think it'll amount to much, see thing is Rogers and Bell put up their own towers, with their own money. So anyone trying to get into the wireless business now is going to have to rent usage off those towers at sky high prices. Savings to the consumer? nil.

eewwww...that sux.
    well, like i said b4 i'm content with my iphone and what i cant do outside of my own network. I upgraded from a hiptop 2 which really wasn't that much better considering how loading pages was soooo slooooowww, plus no mp3 support etc.