+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rogers Users Please post here.

is a discussion within the

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have a question for guys using Rogers and their Iphones. I started using one last week but after reading allot of post here got worried I was going to
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Rogers Users Please post here.
    I have a question for guys using Rogers and their Iphones. I started using one last week but after reading allot of post here got worried I was going to get hit with a HUGE bill at the end of the month. I was using a BB Curve before.

I only really use the Iphone for Email, Phone, Pictures and Ipod. I usually DO NOT browse on it at all. I spoke to Rogers and they suggested the $40 8 Gig Plan as I was on a $40 7Gig plan with my BB before.

Being I dont browse should this be enough or does the Iphone use Edge in another fashion that using way more data even just for email ? Can I expect a normail bill being I dont not browse the net and text hardly every ?

Thanks

What does it mean? --- "the $40 8 Gig Plan"

I cannot find it on Rogers.com

only one is the Flex Plan ($65 per month)
    I think ... I do ... in my utopia ...

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=324941&dateline=12156  49304

Thanks

My phone is under a business account ? Not sure if that makes a difference, she told me she was putting me on a $40 8Gig a month data plan for PDAs instead of my $40 7Gig BB plan.

24 Views and only 1 reply, come on guys need your input here !

Here is a link to the plan she put me on ( 8 Gig One ), it is under the Business section. being I do not browse and surf from the phone do you current Rogers customers feel this will work ?

http://your.rogers.com/business/wire...ce&cat=2&typ=2
    Last edited by bigmoss; 04-21-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had a BB plan and switched to an iPhone back in November. Like you I was terrified by the stories I heard about large bills. I have not enabled EDGE for this reason. I do not have a big call for email. I did a lot of checking at the time like you are now. I THINK you should be ok. From what I was able to find out just don't do any bid downloading or surfing on the EDGE network. You have to be careful because the iPhone will try to use EDGE before WIFI. To be safe keep checking your usage under the settings>usage>EDGE Network Data, this will let you know at all times where your usage is at. Hope this helps a little.........

5. The Following User Says Thank You to golfpro For This Useful Post:

bjlawrence11 (05-09-2008)

Thanks

Thanks for the input, right now it says 16mb on the edge network since last Wed BUT allot of that would be apps and stuff I was downloading to get the phone setup so I hope things should be fine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You're on a 8MB plan dude, not a 8 Gig plan.

Additonal data is $7/MB

http://your.rogers.com/business/wire...ce&cat=2&typ=2

Your $16 MB just cost you an extra $56.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nutbar For This Useful Post:

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

ya i was about to say 8mb is absolutley nothing you will go over that in no time but if your plan is 8gb then your good you will never go over that when i had unlimited internet on my fido for 4 months i was using it ALL the time and i would use 200-300 mb in a month thats using youtube, internet apps google maps ect all the time so even if you managed to go higher to 1 gig somehow no way you would use 8 gig but im pretty sure you have 6 megabites so i would not use edge at all you will go over that easily!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    That's an 8 MB plan. Rogers does not currently offer any plans that come close to 8 GB.

Thanks

Yes they were typos I meant to say MB not Gig

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoss View Post
    Thanks for the input, right now it says 16mb on the edge network since last Wed BUT allot of that would be apps and stuff I was downloading to get the phone setup so I hope things should be fine.
    If you're on the 8MB plan, you've gone over by 8MB at 5 cents/KB. That's $409 in data charges. Unless you got the plan with the Overage protection, in which case you're currently sitting at $52. If you go over 20MB, you'll be charged 50 cents for every MB over.

So the simple thing is, you've already spent $52, when for $65, you'd have no worries in the world. The one and only plan someone should be on for the iPhone is the $65 Flex plan.

Keep in mind, anything you do that involves the internet results in data charges... that's using Installer, Youtube, Google Maps, Weather, Stocks, Safari... all of it.

The EDGE Data Network usage indicator is all Data through EDGE, none of it is WiFi.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

bjlawrence11 (05-09-2008), wao1201 (05-08-2008)

Thanks
    Cool No typo.....Lolol
    Quote Originally Posted by SA22C View Post
    That's an 8 MB plan. Rogers does not currently offer any plans that come close to 8 GB.
    Well in my opinion I think there is one much better than any of those....Lolol
    I use to subscribe to the $65 for 1GB after rack up a big bill ....

Just last month I switch to UNLIMITED DATA PLAN for only $7 Dollars a month

I have been using Google Maps, Youtube,Weather updates and so on.... and no extra charges.So far so good...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to R3LOAD For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by R3LOAD View Post

I have been using Google Maps, Youtube,Weather updates and so on.... and no extra charges.So far so good...
    R U SURE about your $7 package ???

wish you do not have a huge bill
    I think ... I do ... in my utopia ...

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=324941&dateline=12156  49304

iPhone? More like MyPhone doogee's Avatar
    Thanks

R3LOAD is right. I've been doing it for 3 months.

Thanks

The $7 plan is an unlimited Navigate plan, not Data. Navigate is for email, and browsing alone. I'd love to take a look at your usage.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Green Apple
    Thanks

is this option for contracts only or also pay as you go?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by golfpro View Post
    I had a BB plan and switched to an iPhone back in November. Like you I was terrified by the stories I heard about large bills. I have not enabled EDGE for this reason. I do not have a big call for email. I did a lot of checking at the time like you are now. I THINK you should be ok. From what I was able to find out just don't do any bid downloading or surfing on the EDGE network. You have to be careful because the iPhone will try to use EDGE before WIFI. To be safe keep checking your usage under the settings>usage>EDGE Network Data, this will let you know at all times where your usage is at. Hope this helps a little.........
    Now I don't have a working iPhone yet, but can you turn off the Edge network usage completely? Does this render your Wireless browsing, email, etc. totally useless?

Thanks

My latest Rogers phone bill:

$345

Why? Because I used 10MB of data.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So long as there are no details filled into the EDGE login screen, it won't work.

I spent about an hour on the phone with Rogers yesterday spelunking around for plans. The good news is that the Windows mobile plans have unlimited data for three months if you sign a three-year contract. The bad news is that they're bloody expensive for what you get.

I'm really hoping that the data front improves in the fall when the iPhone shows up in an official capacity.