Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: StraightTalk pushing bad APN settings?

Default StraightTalk pushing bad APN settings?
    Trying to help a friend who isn't getting help elsewhere with StraightTalk problems:

My data connection keeps VANISHING from the phone every 2-3 days. When I call StraightTalk and complain, they tell me to check my APN settings. 9 times out of 10, the settings have changed on their own, I have to manually re-enter them, then ST does something on their end, and after a wasted HOUR on the phone, I have data again. After the first couple times this happened, I'd memorized the "good" settings. Now, about HALF the time, I can quickly redo the settings on MY end, myself, and get data back instantly. The other half or the time, I can reset them, but the data doesn't come back until ST does their job on the other end after an HOUR of wasted time.

1. Is there any way to LOCK my APN settings so they can't remotely change them on my phone? (jailbreak options are welcome)
    2. Is there any other way to prevent this from happening, short of leaving ST?

The settings that change are in:
    Settings>General>Cellular>CellularDataNetwork>

Good -> Bad
    "Cellular Data: APN" ______ att.mvno -> wap.tracfone
    "Visual Voicemail: APN" ___ att.mvno -> phone
    "MMS: APN" _____________ att.mvno -> phone
    "Internet Tethering: APN" __ att.mvno -> phone

I'm on an AT&T Unlocked iPhone 4. iOS 6.1.0 Jailbroken
    I know those settings work for some, but they disable this phone as described above. Not sure which phone/setup they DO work for.

Idea: Talking out my butt, are those settings stored in a file that can simply be made read-only? (at my own risk?)

These are the new settings that now work with iPhone: AT&T Compatible (They may work with T-Mobile compatible too)
    Cellular Data APN : tfdata
    VVMail : phone
    MMS APN : phone
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    Proxy: 66.209.11.33
    Max: 1048576
    Everything else you leave blank.
    The settings definitely work for I am using them now I inputted these about 14 days ago when I got this iPhone.
    The only problem I'm having with Straighttalk now is that they now throttle after using 2.5 GB on any phone. In fact, there is a lawsuit pending against Straighttalk for not disclosing this throttling whereas the other companies do.
    If anyone knows a way to override this throttling using APN settings or otherwise please post it or email me.
    Thank You,
    Last edited by silvan619; 12-08-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silvan619 View Post
    These are the new settings that now work with iPhone: AT&T Compatible (They may work with T-Mobile compatible too)
    Cellular Data APN : tfdata
    VVMail : phone
    MMS APN : phone
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    Proxy: 66.209.11.33
    Max: 1048576
    Everything else you leave blank.
    The settings definitely work for I am using them now I inputted these about 14 days ago when I got this iPhone.
    The only problem I'm having with Straighttalk now is that they now throttle after using 2.5 GB on any phone. In fact, there is a lawsuit pending against Straighttalk for not disclosing this throttling whereas the other companies do.
    If anyone knows a way to override this throttling using APN settings or otherwise please post it or email me.
    Thank You,
    I got fed up with the HORRIBLE service, HORRIBLE customer service, and I switched to T-mobile. Very happy customer again. Paying less than at #ATTfail and haven't hit a data limit yet.