Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 6 APN change for Straighttalk?

Default iOS 6 APN change for Straighttalk?
    Since iOS 6 Golden Master has been released, is it possible to change the APN for straighttalk and have MMS and data fully working? I know Beta 4 was having issues.

Im using the ST ATT compatible SIM card.
    Last edited by jtsdad; 09-15-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Was keeping an eye on this to see if anyone else wanted to jump in, but I guess I can be the guinea pig. I shall be trying the unlockit method and the tmobile sim-swap method. (I am no expert in these methods btw).

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default At least one option works.
    Using a signed mobileconfig with the proxy and APN settings worked for me on my iPhone 4 on 6.0GM. I will probably try the SIM swap method, just for kicks using my VZW LTE SIM to see if the MMS settings will stick as well.

So, at least there is one option that does work for us ST/Net10 BOYD users out there. Now how about some BYOD nanoSIMs, America Movil...

ADDENDUM: Here is a copy of the mobileconfig I use. I made it myself for use on my iPad with my ST SIM (prepaid VZW broadband sucks on coverage in rural areas at times). Use a 'Save Link As' or similar option to download it and remove the .txt from the end of the filename. It should work.
    BYOD.mobileconfig.txt
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 09-14-2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: ADDENDUM to include the mobileconfig file
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

jtsdad (09-14-2012)

Im a Motorola Mod genius (ask the site owners), but an iPhone n00b, what do I do with this mobileconfig file?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jtsdad View Post
    Im a Motorola Mod genius (ask the site owners), but an iPhone n00b, what do I do with this mobileconfig file?
    Email the file to yourself and open it in Mail or Safari. It will pop up asking to install profile. Doing so will change the APN settings to the correct one.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

jtsdad (09-15-2012)

I really appreciate your help and willingness to answer my n00b question! Im trying it now! Will report back my experience...

EDIT: Nope. Still cant send MMS. Looking at the file, I see stuff that isnt on a straighttalk apn. not sure how to change it without messing the whole works.

EDIT2: Didnt see any mmsc settings in the file, either. Granted, im not totally sure what Im seeing, but mmsc.cingular.com wasnt anywhere to be found. Neither was the proxy 66.209.11.33 with port 80
    Last edited by jtsdad; 09-15-2012 at 08:07 AM.

I got mine to work. I am not even sure if I really needed the TMobile sim or not. I was able to modify the cellular settings without having the TMobile sim plugged in. Maybe it was just a fluke.

Anyway, I now have cellular data and MMS working fine on iOS 6 GM with Straight Talk using the TMobile sim swap on an iPhone 4S.

I'm guessing I'd need to unlock my 3GS before I can do a sim swap? Does it have to be TMo or will a safelink wireless sim work?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,215 Times in 6,216 Posts

Thanks. I'm familiar. The problem is finding a way to input those values. I don't have access to a tmobile sim.

Thanks

SO you have no cellular data tab to adjust settings?
    If so, open Cydia, add this repo "beta.leimobile.com/repo
    Install APN settings from that repo.

Tried to SSH into my 3GS to install Cydia. No go. I had tethered root thru redsn0w. Can't get Cydia installed to accomplish that. Of I had Cydia installed, I'd just Tether Me into my settings and do it that way.

Thanks

^so your not jailbroken?

I'm back on 5.1.1 right now. I was jail broken. Couldn't SSH into my phone to get Cydia installed. Jail breaking thru redsnow didn't install it.

I was hoping for mobileconfig file with the AT&T compatible straighttalk apn info. The kind gentleman who posted earlier had a file for something else. It didn't work. Any other way to get Cydia installed on a jail broken 3GS on 6.0?
    Last edited by jtsdad; 09-15-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks

I have read about it, there is a way. I'll try to find it again. You could back down to 5.1.1 and use redsn0w and have Cydia installed that way.

Well crap that was easy, a simple Google search turned up a ton of results.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=iOS6...ient=firefox-a

but wouldnt installing iOS6 erase Cydia and Id be in the same boat I was in before?

Im on 5.1.1 now, like I said earlier. Ive read all the "Install Cydia on iOS6" results. It requires SSH

And, like I said a few posts up... SSH wasnt working for me to install Cydia.
    I Googled first before posting here. (I was a forum mod for Kyle and Cody for almost a decade... Im familiar)
    So... no Cydia, no T-Mo sim and no mobileconfig file. I guess im out of luck. So much for the simple Google search! LOL
    Last edited by jtsdad; 09-15-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jtsdad View Post
    but wouldnt installing iOS6 erase Cydia and Id be in the same boat I was in before?

Im on 5.1.1 now, like I said earlier. Ive read all the "Install Cydia on iOS6" results. It requires SSH

And, like I said a few posts up... SSH wasnt working for me to install Cydia.
    I Googled first before posting here. (I was a forum mod for Kyle and Cody for almost a decade... Im familiar)
    So... no Cydia, no T-Mo sim and no mobileconfig file. I guess im out of luck. So much for the simple Google search! LOL
    I'm confused, (that's easy to do) if your on 5.1.1 and used redsn0w, Cydia is auto installed with the package. Perhaps you need to restore and retry. So something isn't right.
    Oh, yes I know who you are, we chatted in another thread when you first started posting.

I'm on 5.1.1 now. The last time I attempted to upgrade to 6.0 on my 3GS, Cydia was erased in the process. Once on 6, I used redsnow to jailbreak and tried to SSH into the phone to install Cydia. It didn't work. Hence, I am unable to access the APN settings while on iOS 6 in order to use my Straighttalk AT&T compatible sim service completely ( MMS functionality)
    Does that help clear it up?

been searching all day. Cant afford an unlock to do the sim swap idea.

Thanks

Stay at 5.1.1 and use redsn0w (which installs Cydia), you will have Cydia and be able add repo to edit APN settings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast