Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Which US carriers offer 4G LTE?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Which US carriers offer 4G LTE?
    Hi everyone. I'm just curious, now that the "New iPad" is said to have 4G LTE capabilities, which US carriers offer that service? I know Verizon does, but are their any other? I'm currently on AT&T on my iPhone, but will consider my options (because I'm sure the next gen iPhone will also have the capability). I live in Chicago and we pretty much have AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and TMobile (iPhone providers) as the major carriers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I think AT&T uses it. I don't think T-Mobile is though. Not sure about Sprint, I wouldn't use Sprint anyway the 3G is worse than Verizon's.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You're only true options in this case are AT&T and Verizon.

No other US carrier, other than [the unavailable in Chicago area] MetroPCS, has an active widespread LTE network currently. U.S. Cellular, Sprint, and Cricket are starting to implement LTE but still far from being considered widespread. Sprint may get LTE iOS devices by the end of the year, but possibly others will too.

That said, with how most recent iOS devices and capabilities are designed, you probably won't be able to use a LTE-capable device on any unofficial carrier's LTE networks (or between carriers SIMs/provisioning) without major flashing or software modifications, not to mention the 'green light' by the carrier you're wanting to use. Also given the LTE frequency nightmare starting to reveal itself, it's possible you won't be able to without buying a new device with the carrier-specific bands enabled.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

when you get a chance, go check out the Samsung Note LTE (i717). its amazingly fast on ATT's 4G LTE i would expect ipad's LTE would have the same speeds. im thinking about getting the Note for now and then perhaps getting the next ipX when its available this july/aug with LTE

AT&T offers LTE? Since when? I was under the impression that they offer 3G HSDPA+ or w/e it is called.