Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4S overclock like on android?

Lightbulb iPhone 4S overclock like on android?
    i know i have seen some things about deleting a file and i have done that but i was wondering if theres a way to overclock like on android.
    What im looking for:
    ---a way to overclock over the 1.0 Ghz it is made for. (i could overclock my droid x to 1.4Ghz)
    ---a way to see in real time the speed of my processor at any time i want.
    ---a link to a place to do what im looking for.
    ---positive answers that dont belittle a new member.
    What im not looking for:
    --- directions on changing the file that underclocks the phone to a lower state. (i have already done this).

thank you in advance to all who help me out.

Iphone can be overclock, but I believe it is matter legal involve. Android is open source so developer can change the kernel if they desire, but Apple is close source that is why we dont see modification kernal.

why would you want to overclock?? its fast enough as it is.. have had most new android phones and they lag like mad

Quote Originally Posted by danny29 View Post
    why would you want to overclock?? its fast enough as it is.. have had most new android phones and they lag like mad
    I'm with this guy

Quote Originally Posted by Nickchapstick View Post
    i know i have seen some things about deleting a file and i have done that but i was wondering if theres a way to overclock like on android.
    What im looking for:
    ---a way to overclock over the 1.0 Ghz it is made for. (i could overclock my droid x to 1.4Ghz)
    ---a way to see in real time the speed of my processor at any time i want.
    ---a link to a place to do what im looking for.
    ---positive answers that dont belittle a new member.
    What im not looking for:
    --- directions on changing the file that underclocks the phone to a lower state. (i have already done this).

thank you in advance to all who help me out.
    There may, (notice the emphasis on 'may') be a jailbreak tweak somewhere that lets you see the current workload and possibly the current speed of your iPhone's processor. However, there probably isn't a way to overclock it. Macs basically come jailbroken (able to run unsigned code) and we haven't even really been able to overclock those manually.

It all boils down to hardware, basically. Mac, (and probably iDevices as well, or something similar) have what's called EFI. On normal computers (non-Apple), there is usually something called a BIOS that allows you to change various hardware settings. Macs don't have a BIOS. Instead, they have EFI. EFI is basically what makes it hard to run Mac OS X on non-Apple computers. (Note how I said hard, not impossible.) EFI doesn't let us change hardware settings like BIOS does (I don't think you can change any EFI settings, actually). Because of this, manual overclocking is not available on most Apple devices.

That file you edited was probably something that limited the processor software-wise, not hardware-wise. By the way, why do you want to overclock it anyway? I can't think of many apps that push the processor to it's max. Also, your phone would probably get quite warm, and run out of battery very quickly. I also don't think it will work because iDevices shut down when they get too hot. Overclocking would definitely create heat, and your phone will probably shut down once it reaches a certain limit.

Also, why is this in the 'Other Carriers' forum? Can someone move it please?
    Last edited by Garbag3man117; 05-06-2012 at 12:00 AM.