Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint I4s having problems selecting correct carrier with Intl sim.

Default Sprint I4s having problems selecting correct carrier with Intl sim.
    Two weeks ago in Mexico I purchased a Telcel mini sim and put it in my Sprint Iphone 4s. It worked perfectly. For $2 per day (prepaid) I got all my imessage, emails and forwarded skype calls. I was so happy saving on roaming charges.

Last week in Mexico near the border I inserted the Telcel sim again. Now all I get is ATT. If I manual select carrier-Telcel, I get 1 unusable bar, then ATT.

I tried it again yesterday, same thing. I kept driving away from the border (ATT tower), about 40 miles in and an hour later I finally got Telcel, maybe because there was no AT&T signal around. My phone worked perfectly all the way back to the US with Telcel and did not pick up ATT again.

This is very frustrating. I put the Telecel sim into my wifes iphone4s and same thing happened. I have not upgraded software or changed anything, why wont the I4s detect Telcel in Telcel territory. Could an update have been pushed to my phone or something?

Help?

Make sure to install the "other" firmware (9A406) then go to carrier turn off automatic and select telcel when you're in Mexico and AT&T when you're in Texas I was having the same problem in the Dominican Republic did this and it worked like a charm

Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    Make sure to install the "other" firmware (9A406) then go to carrier turn off automatic and select telcel when you're in Mexico and AT&T when you're in Texas I was having the same problem in the Dominican Republic did this and it worked like a charm
    Thanks, I am already on 9A406. I also jailbroke with absinthe but this happened pre and post jailbreak. I do manually select but I get ATT anyway. Im in sunny California. Reinstall maybe?

Thanks!

yes that's what I did when I was in DR I've reinstall 9A406 it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    yes that's what I did when I was in DR I've reinstall 9A406 it worked!

Did a fresh install and same problem. I will try a different sim then go to Sprint. It worked before, I cant think of anything that changed.

Sprint doesn't no longer allow international unlock (GSM unlock) they changed their policies!

New policies? It turns out I went to Telcel, many of their Iphones are having the same issue, they said its a problem with the carrier/software compatibility. I then went to the other GSM carrier Movistar and bought a prepaid sim from them. It works perfect on both my wifes and mine. No more problems whatsoever.

A friend of mine just got her new Sprint 4s, I put my Mexican Sim in and it would not work. She will call Sprint to unlock. I will post what they say. Thanks.

Exactly now you have to be a good standing costumer and request the unlock from sprint :/