Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Voicemail Notification

Default Voicemail Notification
    Hello all,
    OK, so I've got my iPhone unlocked on the Rogers Wireless network in Canada. I love it and it (mostly) works great, except that I never get any voicemail notification or indicator on my phone. This is really annoying. I've searched all over the net for a sloution to this and from what I can tell lots of others are having problems with this as well. It seems to be something to do with how the iPhone handles (or mishandles) the SMS message from Rogers for the VM state change. This seem to be a pretty comon problem with unlocked handsets, not just the iPhone, and others have reported success by hex editing some code in the phone to change the way it interprets SMS messages... anyhow this is getting longwinded... all I really wanna know is if anyone has a solution for this?

P.S. here's a link to a thread containg some (hopefully) useful info on the subject http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...383&page_no=13

here's another little tidbit on the subject... it seems the iPhone is not equipped to handle incoming SMS from non-numeric sources. For example a text from 46 356 90 comes thru fine but one from !@@ won't. Perhaps this has something to do with the voicemail notification issue?
    Last edited by Getafix; 10-01-2007 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have an unlocked iPhone on Rogers as well and everything is working great. Voicemail notification works as well. Not sure what the issue with yours may be.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperextension View Post
    I have an unlocked iPhone on Rogers as well and everything is working great. Voicemail notification works as well. Not sure what the issue with yours may be.

Please tell me what firmware your running, 1.0.2 or the new one 1.1.1?

Mine worked in 1.0.2 but doesn't work in 1.1.1 and I'm on Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by Getafix View Post
    Hello all,
    OK, so I've got my iPhone unlocked on the Rogers Wireless network in Canada. I love it and it (mostly) works great, except that I never get any voicemail notification or indicator on my phone. This is really annoying. I've searched all over the net for a sloution to this and from what I can tell lots of others are having problems with this as well. It seems to be something to do with how the iPhone handles (or mishandles) the SMS message from Rogers for the VM state change. This seem to be a pretty comon problem with unlocked handsets, not just the iPhone, and others have reported success by hex editing some code in the phone to change the way it interprets SMS messages... anyhow this is getting longwinded... all I really wanna know is if anyone has a solution for this?

P.S. here's a link to a thread containg some (hopefully) useful info on the subject http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...383&page_no=13

here's another little tidbit on the subject... it seems the iPhone is not equipped to handle incoming SMS from non-numeric sources. For example a text from 46 356 90 comes thru fine but one from !@@ won't. Perhaps this has something to do with the voicemail notification issue?

Here's my post from the other day. Tell me what firmware your running.

Firmware 1.1.1 doesn't notify you of new voicemail and Edge settings...

I haven't read this anywhere yet so I figure I would let you guys know.

I have a legally activated iPhone. I activated with the ATT go plan and then canceled it. I never did a software unlock, I just used the Turbo Sim method. I upgraded my iPhone to the latest 1.1.1 firmware and all works great except the below 2 things which did work with the old firmware.

1. When someone leaves you a voicemail message you used to get a message displayed saying "new voicemail", your also got the + sign on the red circle on the phone icon. When you clicked on the phone icon you would then see the voicemail button on the far right would be red, also letting you know you have a message waiting. None of those notifications happen anymore. I can still click on the voicemail button and it auto dials my voicemail box. This sucks big time. This tells me they are ignoring the cell towers standard command that they send to your gsm phone letting the phone know you have a new voicemail message/voicemail notification. They can do this because if you were on the real ATT cell network they don't require this standard command to tell your iPhone that it has a voicemail message waiting, they send the voicemail message as data….aka visual voicemail.

2. The Edge settings no longer get saved after you do an iPhone power down and then power up. They just don't get saved, you have to enter them again. This tells me they ignore any Edge settings that don't match ATT Edge settings. This also sucks.

If someone gives me the proper ATT edge settings I can do a test. I will enter them and then do an iPhone reboot and I bet they will still show/be saved.

I'm in Canada on the Rogers cell network.
    Last edited by viper1999; 10-02-2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost