Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: h2o help?

Default h2o help?
    Hey!

Well I'm in the UK and visiting USA in August

I don't want to pay extreme international charges so I've decided to buy a sim card from teh SUA and get a plan with unlimited data.

So after researching I've found my best options are SIMple mobile & h2o..

SIMple mobile seemed easier to use/setup but can't use 3G on my iPhone, whereas h2o can.

Now..... the simple mobile has the unlimited everything for $60

And h2o, the max is 50mb that I can see... Which sucks...

Which should I go for?

Unlimited 2G or 50mb 3G?

I'm swaying towards the SIMple mobile option...

Simple mobile. I have tmobile I'm the USA. With unlimited data and they both communicate with the same towers so they are almost identical carriers. Ulimited tmobile is actually capped off at 5gb of data and simple mobile gives you 2gb with they're unlimited plan. Which is plenty.. Really. And the edge speed isn't too aweful slow.. I myself would sacrifice 3G for way more data usage.

I also have 02 which is identical with h20 and the covererage is not as good as with simple mobile unless your on the eastern us then it's pretty ok.

Coverage is better with simplemobile I think.
    Last edited by Ian3head; 02-26-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian3head View Post
    Simple mobile. I have tmobile I'm the USA. With unlimited data and they both communicate with the same towers so they are almost identical carriers.

[truncated]

I also have 02 which is identical with h20 and the covererage is not as good as with simple mobile unless your on the eastern us then it's pretty ok.

Coverage is better with simplemobile I think.
    Find out what cities/states/etc you will be visiting the most and look at the coverage maps. Both T-Mobile & AT&T's native network (SIMPLE Mobile's & H2O's only network, respectively) is very limited in the plains & mountain states. AT&T, however, is in the process of converting a portion of some acquired networks, so their coverage maps aren't 100% accurate (some parts of colorado and montana are now supported by AT&T/H2O prepaid plans now... but YMMV) but they will give you a good idea on expected coverage.

Simple does have the advantage of data allotment with their 2GB data cap vs. H2O's 50MB. On an iPhone using 3G, 50MBs can be eaten up like candy real quick. EDGE might be a downside, but T-Mobile's data speeds are somewhat on par or better than AT&T's equivalent EDGE network in the same location.

Another option is T-Mobile's own prepaid plans. They offer better coverage than both H2O and Simple (they get to roam onto 'partner' networks, especially in the middle part of the country), and costs only $10 more than Simple Mobile. Another advantage is there's more ways to buy prepaid 'topup' cards, sometimes even 5-10% off retail cost (callingmart, for example).
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks for the excellent replies!

Well I'll be in Florida all the time and both networks say they have coverage there. Just looked at the TMobile, $70 for unlimited. But would TMobile still be 2G?

I'm thinking I might just got with the $60 unlimited Simple Mobile option and have 2G speeds. My main usage will be for social networking and finding information about things to do in the area and there will be lots of time so I'm not all that fussed about super fast mega blazing speeds

Thaks, Chris

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrissehB View Post
    Well I'll be in Florida all the time and both networks say they have coverage there. Just looked at the TMobile, $70 for unlimited. But would TMobile still be 2G?
    Yes, it would be 2G just the same as Simple (They use the same network). It's $70 for the highest level plan, but you can go online and get refill cards for sub-retail price and cut down that cost some. Considering T-Mobile has a decent native network in Florida, you should be fine. YMMV, as I have had friends living in and around Miami & Orlando that say T-Mobile has some capacity issues (primarily from people coming in from Puerto Rico and constant toursim in the areas).
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrissehB View Post
    I'm thinking I might just got with the $60 unlimited Simple Mobile option and have 2G speeds. My main usage will be for social networking and finding information about things to do in the area and there will be lots of time so I'm not all that fussed about super fast mega blazing speeds

Thaks, Chris
    If you're not really doing much beyond social networking a simple points-of-interest searing, then I think you should be fine on Simple or possibly a lower tier T-Mobile plan (like one of the ones with 200MB or data rather than 2GB).

A good indicator of finding out how much usage you might use is a data estimator such as this one at&t offers as a comparison tool for its data plans. That would be a good indicator of how much you might use. Or even test a few days on EDGE and running the apps you'd be using most to see an estimate of your data consumption.

Hope this helps.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks for the reply

with the AT&T calculator thing it came to about 1.5gb usage. But I suppose I could cut it down a bit, turn off push, email fetching (I get lots of emails a day), etc. So I'm thinking to just go with Simple Mobile $60

I'll test with edge aswell for a while see how I cope with it here :P

Thanks, Chris

Y not go with the unlimited plan with H2O for $40 and go to verizon and get their wireless hotspot for $25 that way ur phone will have connection along with 5 other devices. (laptop, etc)